• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It's amazing a player of TT'S caliber is handling his contract situation the way he is. Does he know he's very replacable?

How would the Cavs replace him?

You aren't going to find someone that offensive rebounds like him, but the real question is whether you can find someone that can contribute on PF to an extent they can play 25mpg.

Offensive boarding is literally the only thing he does at a well above average level.

You aren't going to find someone that offensive rebounds like him, but the real question is whether you can find someone that can contribute on PF to an extent they can play 25mpg.

Offensive boarding is literally the only thing he does at a well above average level.

Ok. So answer your "real" question, then.

Yes.

Through a trade.

But then we have go give up assets to do that, whereas we already have Tristan. So, although we can "replace" Tristan, we can't do it without sacrificing somewhere else. Dan Gilbert has a lot more money to spend than he has picks and assets. Why not use the money and use the picks and assets to further improve the team?

But then we have go give up assets to do that, whereas we already have Tristan. So, although we can "replace" Tristan, we can't do it without sacrificing somewhere else. Dan Gilbert has a lot more money to spend than he has picks and assets. Why not use the money and use the picks and assets to further improve the team?

If you lose Tristan, you're avoiding the stupid contract he's looking for and saving yourself $20m plus luxury tax.

And you're replacing his production with someone that presumably makes less than $10m if he's a younger guy.

You don't pay him max money. He's not a max player.
Let's put it this way, put him on the sixers, how many more games do they win?
He has ZERO offense, good defense and rebounding.
He's undersized for center but has flexibility.
10- 12 mil a year is a very fair offer for a player of his caliber.
If someone wants to Max him on the market, so be it. Let him walk or trade him at the deadline.

http://www.sportsdistillery.com/201...an-thompson-raptors-free-agency-2016-no-deal/

"...This brings us back to Paul. Is this all for leverage? Paul was the one who helped LeBron James return to Cleveland, but he risks Thompson getting injured — and his value dropping — by having him play on a one-year qualifier....."

Honestly. Go have fun somewhere else TT. He's a glorified JJ Hickson with less offensive ability.

idk i think this is pretty simple

let him sign the QO, let his value plummet as love finally gets integrated into the offense and tristan returns to 6th man role and gets his 8/8 off the bench in 25mpg, and no one will consider giving him an offer close to the max

also i think tristan has gotta have a strong desire to play for the cavs, i'm 99% sure all this postulating is 100% paul and 0% tristan

I kinda am refusing to believe we are even offering 80 million and that TT really wants a max deal. It all just seems too ridiculous. I'd love to know what the real negotiations are. For all we know, we could be offering 50 mil and TT is asking 80. Reports are reports, but most often they aren't correct.

Yes.

Through a trade.

How do you trade a guy who will have a no trade clause if he signs the QO?

Either we believe Paul, or we don't. If we believe him, then TT wants to go to Toronto next year, so why would he agree to a trade to anyone else? Because a trade to Toronto doesn't seem like a good fit right now.

And if we don't believe him, and this is all negotiating strategy/bluff, then he's not going to agree to a trade either.

BTW, I don't believe Paul. If he really thought he could get TT that kind of money, then he would also think TT should be a starter, either here or in Toronto. But I haven't heard him even hint that TT wants to start. And what he's demanding simply isn't realistic for a backup.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."