• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

#12: Danny Shelton, NT, Washington

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
What does that mean?

I think most people would define "value" as a function of expected contribution v. draft position. "Value" should be relatively constant throughout the draft, so saying we could have gotten "similar value" later doesn't seem like much of an argument. It just means we could have gotten a player who wasn't as good later in the draft.

Well, sure. But so what?
I would have taken Melvin Gordon. I think he is a more dynamic player and will contribute much more in terms of impact on the game. Then I would have drafted a nose tackle later in the draft.

The Browns also could have signed Kenrick Ellis in free agency. He is 27 and has experience playing under Mike Pettine. Ellis is a run stopper compares favorably to Shelton.

Your argument is about value, then suggest taking a running back in the first.

Legendary trolling going on right now.

I love Melvin Gordon as a prospect. But you are right in the modern NFL, running back seems to be the least valuable pick in the first.

Its weird to me how that developed but that is not part of the argument, just should we have taken Gordon in the first when we got value with Duke in the 3rd.

I would have taken Melvin Gordon. I think he is a more dynamic player and will contribute much more in terms of impact on the game. Then I would have drafted a nose tackle later in the draft.

Which nose tackle would you have taken later in the draft?

The Browns also could have signed Kenrick Ellis in free agency. He is 27 and has experience playing under Mike Pettine. Ellis is a run stopper compares favorably to Shelton.

You may be the only person in the entire country who thinks that.

Pettine thought so much of Ellis that he benched him, and Ellis has only had 5 starts in his whole career. How realisitc is it to rely upon s fifth year careet backup to turn around one of the worst run defenses in the league? If we was that good, someone would have offered him more than a one year deal for only $1.6m.

Last edited:
This thread is unbelievable.

Yeah, there's a reason Ellis has a lower snap count.

The nose tackle who switched teams in free agency who the Browns had a shot at would be Terrence Knighton, who signed for a 4 million cap hit with Washington. Since the Browns are notoriously shunned in free agency, even from their own players, the cost would have likely been higher.

Which nose tackle would you have taken later in the draft?
Carl Davis went to Baltimore at the end of the third round. He had potential to go a lot higher. That's not at all why I shared the original study though.

I thought the study was interesting because it seems Danny Shelton has a work ethic that would allow him to make it in spite of being so heavy and slow. He might also lose weight too as his diet going into the draft wasn't that great:

"We went to just some sub shop -- some Ma and Pa sub shop -- he got one of those sandwiches that were about that big and that thick," O'Neil said, forming his hands into the shape of a pretty big sandwich. "(Defensive line) Coach (Anthony) Weaver's like, 'We're going to have to talk to him about how much he eats.' It was great. We could have went to a steakhouse or a nice restaurant. That's where they wanted to go. Just says a lot about who he is as a person."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/08/cleveland_browns_defensive_coo_16.html

It reminds me of the story Windhorst told about how LeBron as a rookie wouldn't wrap his ankles or ice after games. He didn't realize how important it was yet.

Right? ^ The craziest was Delonte's eating habits.

They said brother West would eat two huge double cheeseburgers, two fries, two tahitian treats and hit the court directly after eating.

Supposedly Shannon Brown could put it away too. There's mesomorphs, ectomorphs, and endomorphs.

then there's NBA players who can eat McDonalds, be in ridiculous shape and make checks doing so.

How many times, just last year alone, did we have opposing teams 3rd and long only to see then run it right up the gut for a first down? A dozen, maybe two?
Shelton is worth it. Look at how many hands it takes to keep him from simply busting through. At times, three people are spent on him.

Let me get this straight. We have people on this board complaining about Danny Shelton? The kid has done everything asked of him and played/practiced at a high level. So we have a 1st rd pick that actually can play..........not Justin Gilbert............not Brandon Weeden...........not Trent Richardson.......... And people are actually complaining.

Holy fucking shit.

This is the kinda shit that makes me hope for a Zombie Apocalypse.

Let me get this straight. We have people on this board complaining about Danny Shelton? The kid has done everything asked of him and played/practiced at a high level. So we have a 1st rd pick that actually can play..........not Justin Gilbert............not Brandon Weeden...........not Trent Richardson.......... And people are actually complaining.

Holy fucking shit.

To be fair, only one person on the board is complaining.

Carl Davis, not a nose tackle.

Holy fucking shit.

If it wasn't for complaining this board would have like 16 posts on it.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."