• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Josh McCown

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

crabbyshark

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It's early, but McCown's accuracy to small receivers in the short to intermediate range is becoming a concern.

Don't forget this year: He is making mid- to high-end backup quarterback money at 3.6 million. No other starting QB is close to that number besides Bridgewater, who was grossly overlooked in the draft and still playing on his first contract, and the Tyrod Taylor experiment in Buffalo. In fact, a few backup QBs make more. McCown is between Drew Stanton, EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel as highly paid backups, just under Mallet, Chad Henne and Shaun Hill. Most starting QBs make north of 10-15 million a year. Even the mediocre ones like Kaepernick, Cutler, and Dalton.

So when a team saves that much on the QB, you would expect them to do what Minnesota, Buffalo, Oakland or Houston is doing by investing in skill position weapons to lessen to blow. Nope. Not the Browns. Hawkins and Bowe make #2 or #3 WR money. Everyone else gets paid like roster filler who could get cut faster than you can say Rob Housler.

Please keep in mind where money has been invested when this team starts playing decent defenses, which preseason Tampa Bay or Washington is not.

I think we will sell high on McCown after that performance. Heard Chip isn't quite happy with Bradford. Might want to move him for McCown and Xavier Cooper. If we keep him I think we will end up using him mostly as a decoy at WR in our Wild Manziel package

We'll see what happens!

McCown wasn't as good as his stats would indicate last night, but he still put together two good scoring drives and didn't turn the ball over.

If he can simply avoid being incredibly turnover prone, the Browns will be competitive.

Don't forget this year: He is making mid- to high-end backup quarterback money at 3.6 million. No other starting QB is close to that number besides Bridgewater, who was grossly overlooked in the draft and still playing on his first contract, and the Tyrod Taylor experiment in Buffalo. In fact, a few backup QBs make more. McCown is between Drew Stanton, EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel as highly paid backups, just under Mallet, Chad Henne and Shaun Hill. Most starting QBs make north of 10-15 million a year. Even the mediocre ones like Kaepernick, Cutler, and Dalton.

So when a team saves that much on the QB, you would expect them to do what Minnesota, Buffalo, Oakland or Houston is doing by investing in skill position weapons to lessen to blow. Nope. Not the Browns. Hawkins and Bowe make #2 or #3 WR money. Everyone else gets paid like roster filler who could get cut faster than you can say Rob Housler.

Please keep in mind where money has been invested when this team starts playing decent defenses, which preseason Tampa Bay or Washington is not.
19th overall is a curious spot to take a center, let alone a backup center who may not play this year. Makes me believe one of the O-linemen, probably Greco, will be traded.

19th overall is a curious spot to take a center, let alone a backup center who may not play this year. Makes me believe one of the O-linemen, probably Greco, will be traded.
Or they are anticipating Mack doesn't want to be here after this season.

Nope.

Has he completed a 10+ yard pass yet? That has me a little concerned.

it's the offense bro. the point of the offense is to lull everyone to sleep, including our own players, by completing several 3-4 yard passes. Then when everyone is lying face down in their own drool, we break them off with an 8 yard bomb.

also consider that we don't want to show what can only be referred to as a plethora of highly complex timing routes off of the 11 step drop. A PLETHORA. These will actually never be practiced either, since there's so much media around, including social media, and we don't want these things uploaded. Plus that's how The Hoodie cheated, remember? Spying.

Our offensive line is so good, we won't need to pass.
Duke Johnson will transform the RB position. Notes from the tape that I have watched: cuts similar to B. Sanders. 10 yard accel and route running too fast (might need to slow down for timing purposes). legit return threat. might see time on defense b/c is so awesome.
Our defense's only weakness has been fixed with the addition of Shelton.
Our division is fading fast.

It's the perfect storm. 11 & 5.

Has he completed a 10+ yard pass yet? That has me a little concerned.

He doesn't want to catch "Johnny Elbow." There are three feet in a yard. You can't fight it, its math!

I do agree its the scheme. Both Manziel and McCown had fairly high completion percentages this preseason (58% for Johnny, 76% for Josh) but both had roughly 5.5 yards per attempt. That is the same percentage Carr put up under DeFilipo last season. Dink and dunk.

Or they are anticipating Mack doesn't want to be here after this season.
So what? Mack is here this season. Take Nelson Agholor (which the Browns almost did) where you took Cameron Erving and take a center where you took Vince Mayle. If he ends up not working out and Mack leaves, take another center next year.

Last edited:
So what? Mack is here this season. Take Nelson Agholor (which the Browns almost did) where you took Cameron Erving and take a center where you took Vince Mayle. If he ends up not working out and Mack leaves, take another center next year.

Because some teams might think beyond the impact of a player in his rookie season only.

Shocking, I know.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."