• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavaliers Offseason Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randolph's face in the picture :chuckle:.

That pretty much sums up my response to this.

Seriously, wtf? I mean I figured they would want to keep him, but has his defense even been that good to justify over $10M a year?

For one, that WS piece factored in JR Smith as a departure. But he has since re-signed, so that's ~4 wins there per the WS metric. It also doesn't account for the Cavs adding Richard Jefferson, which should be good for a win or two, per WS. So the revised projection would have the Cavs comfortably as the #1 team in the East, in case anyone is concerned about that.

I agree that it is very sloppy analysis. WS does a reasonable job of explaining wins-losses (not saying it is "right," or the best metric, or anything, just that it is a tool that does a reasonable job of explaining wins and losses), but this analysis makes little attempt to estimate number of minutes players will play, nor does it attempt to account for the fact that younger players tend to improve and older players tend to get worse.

Randolph's face in the picture :chuckle:.
I like how TT didnt take 80 mil because his peers with similar role got more..........Umm whose your peer bro because JV, Robin Lopez, Tyson Chandler, and now MKG ALL took less than 70 mil.

Imo whatever Chandler got just copy and paste it and send it to TT.

I like how TT didnt take 80 mil because his peers with similar role got more..........Umm whose your peer bro because JV, Robin Lopez, Tyson Chandler, and now MKG ALL took less than 70 mil.

Imo whatever Chandler got just copy and paste it and send it to TT.

Well, JV did sign for 16 mil per year, so it would be somewhere between 70 and 80 for 5 years.

Given the potential concerns about JR, Cavs might want to consider Ben Gordon, who is still unsigned, for the last roster slot

Would love instead to see Cavs sign a 3/4 type (think Perry Jones/Jeff Green) but not one out there, maybe they sign someone who gets cut, but wire-scrounging happens a lot more in the NFL than the NBA

One guy who fits that is Luc Mbah a Moute, who is said to be a terrific defensive player (had a 2 defensive win share last year, but his DPRM only .1, but playing in Philly doesn't ever help that). He's pretty limited offensively but has developed a 3 (shot 31% last year). He failed a physical with Sacramento because of a shoulder injury that he claims is nothing. He been playing for Africa in the latest pre-Olympic games.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mbahalu01.html

Last edited:
Given the potential concerns about JR, Cavs might want to consider Ben Gordon, who is still unsigned, for the last roster slot

Would love instead to see Cavs sign a 3/4 type (think Perry Jones/Jeff Green) but not one out there, maybe they sign someone who gets cut, but wire-scrounging happens a lot more in the NFL than the NBA

One guy who fits that is Luc Mbah a Moute, who is said to be a terrific defensive player (had a 2 defensive win share last year, but his DPRM only .1, but playing in Philly doesn't ever help that). He's pretty limited offensively but has developed a 3 (shot 31% last year). He failed a physical with Sacramento because of a shoulder injury that he claims is nothing. He been playing for Africa in the latest pre-Olympic games.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mbahalu01.html
Luc Mbah a Moute could be a great 15th man, so to speak. His defensive ratings were negatively effected because he was usually guarding the best scorer on the other team -- and when your teammates are the those numbers are negatively effected. If anyone hasn't watched him play though he is a very capable defender. He is nowhere near elite, but he sticks on his man and uses his head well.

I don't think he would play much, and he has to recognize that, but he would provide us some insurance if one of our perimeter defenders got hurt. I actually like that idea.

Now, Ben Gordon on the other hand, leaves me curious. To me he seems like a player who never got close to his potential. Out of curiosity what do you see in him that makes him attractive? I'm not trying to be a dick but am really curious in your opinion.

Gordon has that hot streak gene that means he can just come off the bench nd light it up.

Although now he's fairly washed up. Wining has a way of rejuvenating vets off the bench

Ben Gordon is a poor man's Flip Murray...

Ben Gordon is a poor man's Flip Murray...

I am not a huge fan of Ben Gordon, but Flip Murray has never in his life been as good as Gordon.

I don't know how much left he has in the tank. But I just get the feeling he's checked out mentally the last few years on bad teams, just taking pay checks.

I'd much rather look at Luc Mbah a Moute like Parker mention, than Gordon.

Given we have Mo Williams, I don't think a JR replacement is needed if he either goes rogue, or get's hurt. Mo is kind of that, but in a point guard body.

I still feel we need more depth at the 3/4.

Luc Mbah a Moute failed his physical with Sacramento and they voided his contract. It has something to do with concerns over his right shoulder. Not sure if he is really hurt as the NBPA has filed a grievance over it. Anyways, that should be kept in mind when his name is being thrown around here.

Assuming Tristan eventually signs, the Cavs will have 14 guaranteed contracts, and it seems reasonably likely they will head into the season with that roster. They could add a 15th guy on a non-guaranteed contract, but they would probably think why should they pay that additional luxury tax for a player who won't play? Keeping the 15th spot open will allow them the flexibility to make a trade (using the TPE) or adding a player who has been bought out later in the season, without having to worry about creating the roster space.

I have mentioned Mbah a Moute, but that was before the Jefferson signing. I think the team could still sort of use a combo forward who can stretch the floor a bit, but again my guess is the Cavs would feel that's a bit of a luxury.

Now of course if someone gets hurt during training camp, the calculus could easily change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."