• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The RGIII Conundrum

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I certainly don't disagree with the sentiment. My original post wasn't about owning up to wanting to take the chance, I think I may have even thought it might be worthwhile at the time.

It's about posters declaring him a HOFer and killing the Browns before ever seeing him play in the NFL.

I was owning up to being wrong, that is all, if you go back and look, i was one thinking it is worth a shot. I never said future HOF'er, you know me better than that, but the reason i responded to your quote was more about making fun of myself than anything else.

Drafting is a fickle thing for sure. no so easy.

RG3 > Trent Richardson, Brandon Weedon and Barkevious Mingo

Mitchell Schwartz > RG3 :)

For me it was always about his style of play and not having a long shelf life. I didn't want to draft him with our pick because of the risk. Trading multiple firsts for him was outright insane. Washington may not have handled him well, but the same thing would've happened anywhere in my opinion. His career is going exactly as i expected.

Maximus before the draft said:
If you dont think he's going to run as a QB you are nuts. He will no doubt have the same injury issues Vick has encountered throughout his career. Michael Vick has played a full season ONCE in his career...he's missed 23% of his games due to injury. Tom Brady has played a full season 10 times in his career, Vick came out one year before him. If RG3 plays two healthy NFL seasons in his career, I will give everyone here $1000.

Maximus before the draft said:
-Durability - I think there's going to be too much temptation for RG3 to use his exceptional running skills. If I'm giving up all these high picks the guy HAS to be my franchise QB for at least the next decade. In my opinion, I don't see how RG3 will ever have a long shelf life in the NFL...I just don't. Personally, I only want my QB to run when he HAS to, I prefer trying to protect the QB at all costs. I want someone who is quick and can be evasive when need be, but I don't want my QB running 100+ times a season. Yes, he has world class speed, but he's still going to take a lot of hits. Can he sustain them long enough to be healthy over the next decade and justify trading the world for him? I don't know. He's already blown out an ACL once.

RG3 has already proven that he has the ability to play NFL QB from the pocket. He had incredible success as a rookie due to his accuracy and arm strength from the pocket. This is not a prospect that loses all appeal if he suddenly loses his speed/elusiveness one day...this is not Johnny Manziel.

The red flags here are attitude and bad habits. RG3 plays absolutely spooked now after being abused by the Skins O-line the last few years. He needs a steady O-line and he also needs time and coaching to trust in an O-line again. Otherwise you will still have him looking over his shoulder and running for his life even when the pressure is not imminent.

As far as attitude, this will always be a wild card for pro athletes. At some point you just have to weigh the risk. Can this dumpster fire in Washington and eventually getting cut/traded serve as the humbling experience he needs? I, for one, would rather find that out for ourselves than see it come to fruition for another ballsier team in need of a QB.

I say trade for him.

He had success in the pocket because he was such a threat to run. Defenses had to give up a linebacker to be a RG3 spy. With 1 less guy in coverage RG3 had more open receivers available to him as long as he could pick out the spy.

Once the running ability was nutrelized due to injuries defenses could play him straight up. He didn't do well as a result.

I was never a fan of trading that much for rg3 back then but I wanted him bad. Now I don't know if I'd trade Manziel for him. That's saying a lot!

Griffin desperately needs to get out of that organization.

He's crazy talented, and has shown that. Beyond his running ability, the right mix of coaching and protection would serve him well.

The organization he's in is just really really flawed from the top down, he's got to get a chance somewhere else.

Griffin desperately needs to get out of that organization.

He's crazy talented, and has shown that. Beyond his running ability, the right mix of coaching and protection would serve him well.

The organization he's in is just really really flawed from the top down, he's got to get a chance somewhere else.

Are you suggesting that this Browns organization isn't flawed from the top down and that you would take a flyer on him?

Are you suggesting that this Browns organization isn't flawed from the top down and that you would take a flyer on him?

Yes and yes.

In comparison to Washington, anyway.

Reactions: NtG
Realistically, what kind of haul could WAS get for RG3 at this point?

I met Shawn Lauvao a year ago because he sponsered my son's flag football team. In a very frank 45 min conversation during the game Shawn told me the Redskins are a nightmare. The locker room is a mess, the front office is horrible, etc. He went on and on.

He also mentioned the Browns are just a QB away from being able to turn it around. He was very specific to mention that he though Cleveland had a good locker room. (i asked even with Gordon and he said yes).

So dont take Boobie's word for it, take a guy who recently played for both organizations.

Realistically, what kind of haul could WAS get for RG3 at this point?
If he gets traded, his gigantic 2016 salary is fully guaranteed for injury. Why would teams risk that when they could just wait for Washington to get rid of him, then swoop in and sign him to a cheaper deal?

Leaving the cost to obtain him aside, the ultimate question is do you think he can still be a viable NFL QB in the right situation? Griffin is a very good pocket passer, and it wasn't simply because he had the threat to run.

He's good at keeping his eyes down field and using his athletic ability to move around in the pocket. He obviously didn't trust the Washington OL and maybe that's why he took off more, but the ability is (or was) there.

He most certainly has a superior arm to McCown or Manziel. He'd have a damn good OL to protect him. If the Redskins cut him, I'd be all for bringing him in. Assuming there are no major character concerns, I think it's worth taking a chance on the guy.

As others have mentioned, he's shown he belongs in this league in the past. He certainly hasn't lived up to the billing, but he proved some things in this league and he's still young.

The RG3 deal is 21 million in guaranteed money, his dead money cap hit if cut would be 6.7 million down the tubes. It would be wildly irresponsible for Washington to cut him.

The upside for Griffin is Eagles Era Randall Cunningham or USFL Steve Young. These were a few guys who got by on athleticism, but the league caught up with their lack of pocket awareness. It's just too easy to never develop accuracy in the face of a rush when you can run like a 3rd string tailback. The problem is: every defensive coordinator wants the 3rd string tailback running the ball instead of a first string QB running a pro style offense. I've seen 20 fail for every one success.

Best young running QBs who figured out the balance early would be Wilson in Seattle and Steve McNair with the Houston Oilers... and one of those guys is DEAD.

Washington is like one of the only NFL teams that makes us look like a model of good management and smart decisions.

He's a classic buy low guy.

Ton of talent, stuck in a horrible organization, behind an OL that can't protect him.

In a scenario where he's cut, I would be breaking down his door to sign a contract. There'd have to be mutual interest there, which I believe there would be (given opportunity and the chance to play behind a very good OL).

The much tougher decision is a trade. The pick doesn't mean anything to me, I'd move that (4-7) in a heart beat but the money thing is crazy for a reclamation project. I'm not sure you can justify a trade for him given the amount of money he's owed.

Given how terrible our QB situation is, it's a rare opportunity where a really talented player, who IMO has been mishandled, hits the market at a position we are dying to find a long term answer at. I get the attitude and entitlement issues but we have a strong locker room and we'll get a guy incredibly motivated to prove a team wrong.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."