• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Either way, this is why you trade Thompson when you had the chance. Once he signs the QO, we can't trade him AFAIK.
I think I read back in this thread that TT can waive the no trade clause if he wanted to go somewhere else. Not sure if he would do that/if it's true lol.

I wish the league would just institute a "Tristan Thompson rule": if you're offered the amount that's double what you're really worth and you turn it down, you're suspended for 20 games for being an idiot.

If I'm Tristan, I would fire Rich Paul. People think he's being a good agent? It's one thing to want your client to get the most money, but another to be delusional.

All he's going to do is cost Tristan money. I don't believe for one second the Raptors really will offer him a max. I think Paul is trying to bluff the Cavs.

And if he takes the QO, I guarantee his next contract won't be in the ballpark of what we were willing to pay him.

Isn't it obvious Paul is using Tristan? He's trying to set a name for himself it sounds like, more so, than looking out for his client. Because if he can get a bench player a max contract, boy, wouldn't that look mighty impressive for Paul.

I almost feel bad for Tristan.

I disagree, I can't really blame Rich Paul for trying to get as much money as he can for T.T and ultimately boost his own commission, That is the definition of his job and thats what hes suppose to do.

Paul is trying to put the pressure on and hes pulling out all the stops,
I'm happy that the FO is standing firm and not falling for his sleazy tricks and blank threats.

Either way, this is why you trade Thompson when you had the chance. Once he signs the QO, we can't trade him AFAIK.
I agree but what team is going to offer much for him? He's very valuable on the Cavs but other teams like the Cavs who would value Tristan (a poor offensive big who is good on the boards and on defense) are other very good teams. And really Tristan is a complementary player so those teams wouldnt give any core players for him and if they also have good complementary bigs why trade them for TT's bloated contract demands.

The Cavs arent a well run machine like SAS front office but they've played it well so far with really all their other signings at least in terms of outcomes. Ill give Griffin the benefit of the doubt. No accepting any outrageous demands and play it as it goes. Really the Cavs have s lot leverage here. If TT signs the QO use the trade exemption to get a stopgap or find some mle vets for next season. When you have your big 3 set makes life a lot easier

I disagree, I can't really blame Rich Paul for trying to get as much money as he can for T.T and ultimately boost his own commission, That is the definition of his job and thats what hes suppose to do.

Paul is trying to put the pressure on and hes pulling out all the stops,
I'm happy that the FO is standing firm and not falling for his sleazy tricks and blank threats.

You are missing my point. I didn't say it's not good to try to get the most money for your client. There's a difference between doing that, and getting too cute, and fucking it all up.

If he plays the market, and he's serious about taking the QO. Then I think he failed, miserably, because I don't believe for one second he's getting the dollar amount we originally were willing to shell out.

And if he's really willing to do that, then it tells me he seriously doesn't even have Tristan's best interests at heart. He's trying to make this deal more for himself, than Tristan. Maybe Paul is trying to separate himself from just being a LeBron lackey, but a serious agent that can get the best of the best deals possible for his clients.

I just am not sold this is about Tristan anymore, but Paul being on an ego trip of some kind.

Playing the market is risky. We are talking about 85 million dollars. Tristan is not an all-star. He's not lined up with endorsements. What if he has a severe injury?

This shit can back fire badly on him. And Paul is willing to do that? Most good agents do take security into the equation. It's why Kevin Love agree to his full max contract, and we're talking about a friggin' all-star here.

I dont think he ends up on the QO. I think it is allot like last and Bledsoe. Seeking max, all types of pestering, ended up at 5/70, about 20 mill less than max. This time i think TT gets 10 mill less than max.

Still a huge overpay imo and i dont believe for a second that Toronto will offer max next year, that is just Rich Paul inventing a reason to further negotiate.

Can't see Raps paying Jonas and Tristan to play the same position.

Either way, we're rapidly moving away from the reality of Tristan getting a reasonable long-term deal, even on a slight overpay.

Seems this will end with the QO.

I think they could play next to each other because JV can play back to the basket and has a mid-range jumper.

That being said, I suspect that they would prefer to play a stretch 4 next to him. And if they wanted a more rebounding PF then I don't know why they wouldn't just trade for Faried, who would cost close to half of what TT is supposedly demanding, would give you similar production, and could be had for cheap most likely if Denver decides to go into full rebuild mode after this season.

Either way, I think you're right that Toronto nor any other team chases him next year if his demands stay at this level.

If I'm Tristan, I would fire Rich Paul. People think he's being a good agent? It's one thing to want your client to get the most money, but another to be delusional.

All he's going to do is cost Tristan money. I don't believe for one second the Raptors really will offer him a max. I think Paul is trying to bluff the Cavs.

And if he takes the QO, I guarantee his next contract won't be in the ballpark of what we were willing to pay him.

Isn't it obvious Paul is using Tristan? He's trying to set a name for himself it sounds like, more so, than looking out for his client. Because if he can get a bench player a max contract, boy, wouldn't that look mighty impressive for Paul.

I almost feel bad for Tristan.

OF COURSE he is bluffing. Griff knows he is bluffing. Most of us get that he is bluffing. All he is doing is attempting to find a point he can use as leverage to get his client a little more money. The "I can go home, play for a good team, and make more money" seems plausible and could cause Cleveland to increase their long term offer by a small amount. But the truth is a 4% change in the offer is 3.2M and certainly worthy of "bickering" over.

Some of us live this stuff every day. And hearing stories like this impacts us. But in a broad sense, it makes no difference if he signs today or in a month. And Paul really can't hold Griffin's feet to the fire until the timeline forces them to. The Suns FO essentially said Paul didn't even negotiate with them until the last minute in the Bledsoe negotiations. I suspect the same thing is happening now.

I will gladly take any and all action. TT WILL sign a long term deal that may or may not have POs, etc. But he will have a multiyear deal by Oct 1 when it actually matters. The rest of this is just PR to get a better offer when the clock runs out.

Its a tactic by Rich Paul and I don't believe its a max or nothing for a second.

I think this has gone a bit far, but its Rich Paul trying to make a name for himself at other's expense.

I feel like TT's contract demands might ruin this teams chemistry and jeopardize the title chances. Cavs finally have a stacked team and TT might split the locker room.

I feel like TT's contract demands might ruin this teams chemistry and jeopardize the title chances. Cavs finally have a stacked team and TT might split the locker room.
I don't see how this could affect team chemistry. The players would likely support Tristan getting as much as he can. I think most the players feel like the owners have all the money and they're not getting what they're worth. The only people who might end up mad at Tristan are Gilbert and Griffin, but they also understand its just business. I think fans are getting mad, but in the end no one will care.

Reactions: Lee
I don't see how this could affect team chemistry. The players would likely support Tristan getting as much as he can. I think most the players feel like the owners have all the money and they're not getting what they're worth. The only people who might end up mad at Tristan are Gilbert and Griffin, but they also understand its just business. I think fans are getting mad, but in the end no one will care.

This makes sense but I seem to remember some of the guys on the Knicks being unhappy about what a certain Asian basketball wizard might possibly get.

How TT has become my least favourite Cavalier it's pretty funny since he was one of my favourites.
My view has changed of him completely so I don't give a shit what he does, just don't overpay, I only want him as a trading asset.
Don't want him to be here for the long term, what he is doing right now is toxic to the whole team.

I'm gonna use that stage to wish my main man Kyrie the best wishes and perfect recovery for the upcoming season, love you.

Tristan will get paid in Canadian dollars and pay Ontario taxes. The average tax rate over $200,000 is 49.35% so he will pay 49.35% on every dollar after $200,000... If he does that, he's an idiot. Actually, let this dummy take it.

OF COURSE he is bluffing. Griff knows he is bluffing. Most of us get that he is bluffing. All he is doing is attempting to find a point he can use as leverage to get his client a little more money. The "I can go home, play for a good team, and make more money" seems plausible and could cause Cleveland to increase their long term offer by a small amount. But the truth is a 4% change in the offer is 3.2M and certainly worthy of "bickering" over.

Some of us live this stuff every day. And hearing stories like this impacts us. But in a broad sense, it makes no difference if he signs today or in a month. And Paul really can't hold Griffin's feet to the fire until the timeline forces them to. The Suns FO essentially said Paul didn't even negotiate with them until the last minute in the Bledsoe negotiations. I suspect the same thing is happening now.

I will gladly take any and all action. TT WILL sign a long term deal that may or may not have POs, etc. But he will have a multiyear deal by Oct 1 when it actually matters. The rest of this is just PR to get a better offer when the clock runs out.

I agree he is bluffing, and I still seriously doubt they take the QO. It would be a gigantic blunder by Paul if they did.

All this crap about Toronto, or other teams willing to pay him the max is complete crap. Either Paul is making this shit up, or having some league executives do him a solid, by leaking they would.

Teams around the NBA definitely want us to sign him to a max. It handcuffs us, so it's not like some of these executives don't have personal interest here, even if they don't want to seriously sign Tristan to that contract.

I think Paul holds out till the last second, puts the squeeze in hoping we cave. We don't, Tristan will sign back for 80 million, an absurd amount.

If for some reason Paul is serious, willing is to test the market next year, then he's lost his mind.

This, getting upset over contract negotiations is a fan thing, not a player thing. Players are all for other players getting paid.

Reactions: mds

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."