• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 Cleveland Browns Training Camp Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The easy answer last year to "why can't we stop the run" was to blame the inside linebackers. I think the insufficient effort from expected starting defensive lineman had more to do with the linebackers struggling. We saw too much Ish Kitchen, Ahtyba Rubin and Billy Wynn last year. Shelton and (hopefully) a healthy Phil Taylor will help keep offensive linemen from getting to the second level on blocks.

The easy answer last year to "why can't we stop the run" was to blame the inside linebackers. I think the insufficient effort from expected starting defensive lineman had more to do with the linebackers struggling. We saw too much Ish Kitchen, Ahtyba Rubin and Billy Wynn last year. Shelton and (hopefully) a healthy Phil Taylor will help keep offensive linemen from getting to the second level on blocks.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns...0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--
Taylors gone
Reaction?

So with the recent cuts to Taylor and Kitchen, what is the DL depth chart looking like? D. Bryant-Shelton-Starks being the starters?

Hughes, Winn, Bryant, Cooper, ?

I wrote it elsewhere: Phil Taylor didn't make sense as a team option signing this summer.. but then he was inked, and couldn't live up to the contract due to a questionable knee. The easy question is why cut Taylor... the better question is why did he get signed to be a top 8 salary with a bad knee in the first place.

So with the recent cuts to Taylor and Kitchen, what is the DL depth chart looking like? D. Bryant-Shelton-Starks being the starters?

Hughes, Winn, Bryant, Cooper, ?

I'd think Meder is a lock to make this team, the way he's played this preseason.

Taylor has offset language in his contract; it is likely he was let go early so he could negotiate the best deal with another club and reduce the Browns financial commitment accordingly.

Taylor has offset language in his contract; it is likely he was let go early so he could negotiate the best deal with another club and reduce the Browns financial commitment accordingly.

Not true. He'd be able to double-dip. The Browns agreed to an injury settlement with Phil as well; I don't know the exact details of that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/01/fifth-year-options-have-no-offset-obligation/

Fifth-year options have no offset obligation
Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg5zthjmjrjzmu0zwy5mjuzzta2mzm0nwi3nge3nmy2-e1441144761430.jpeg

With the Browns deciding to cut defensive tackle Phil Taylor, who has a fully-guaranteed fifth-year option salary of $5.477 million, I initially assumed that the Browns would get a dollar-for-dollar credit for any money Taylor earns elsewhere.

As I often do, I assumed wrong.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement says nothing about offset language in the fifth-year option, and the NFL Players Association believes there’s no offset obligation. Indeed, the offset duty applies only when affirmative offset language is added to a contract. Without that express language, there’s no offset.

Which means that Taylor could indeed get $5.477 million to not play for the Browns, along with whatever he makes elsewhere.

I'm guessing MoFlo is backing away slowly from his optimistic takes on the Bowe signing and Mayle pick. I never liked the Mayle pick, but I'm dissapointed Bowe has proven all his doubters right so far. Didn't love the plan to roll with castoffs in the passing game, but this preseason was ugly.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."