• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Coffee Shoppe Talk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
My set up:

Buy fresh ground coffee from local roasters

Use the Keurig machine STRICKLY for the hot water pour.

French Press: I bought it at TJ Maxx for like $10.
- dump coffee in the French Fresh glass cup
- use Keurig to pour hot water on the coffee
- let it sit for about 5 min
- push down on the lever/pump and pour in mug.

Both my wife and I love the taste that this set up creates. Just as good as the organic cafés, and MUCH better tasting coffee thank Starbucks, or K-kups, or pot coffee.

i bought a keurig for my fiancee and i, she wanted one but i use it every day. it is nice to have coffee within minutes of waking up, and don't have to clean anything really. i grind beans at acme and use the refillable metal k-cup thing.

is it the best, no, absolutely not...but its quick and convenient

that said i wouldn't mind getting a programmable drop machine so i can have a pot ready when i wake up and take some to work, where the coffee is terrible

i love good coffee, but during the week its purely about time/convenience/bowel movement/caffeine/tolerable taste

Last edited:
Tea is better.

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

Keurig has sold millions of machines and billions of cups (*unsourced guess). I find it fascinating because I never thought that it would get so popular. I have used the refillable cartridge for years, and I always try to understand why I miss certain trends (read: stock picks), so here's the argument for it:
-It's cheaper than coffee at a barista.
-It's fresh every cup (this could be untrue but the branding has worked on me): those pods are sealed so the coffee doesn't oxidize.
-It's fresh every cup b/c unlike a pot of coffee, you make it a portion at a time whereas a pot sits there and gets cooked more and more.
-It's not messy (this is a big one for our generation for some reason).
-It's lightening fast (this is clearly a huge plus for our generation of consumers).

Most people don't take most things to their purest/best form, because of the utility of the economics of it all (cost/convenience/anxiety/expertise, whatever). Coffee is no exception. So what happens next? I couldn't tell you, but I can't wait for my v60.

I use a Keurig at work, I disagree with all but the last point. Especially the mess one. Blobs of wet grounds fall into your cup whenever you close the thing and there is constant coffee puddle and stain underneath.

I use a Keurig at work, I disagree with all but the last point. Especially the mess one. Blobs of wet grounds fall into your cup whenever you close the thing and there is constant coffee puddle and stain underneath.
You disagree that a Keurig cup of coffee is cheaper than one at Starbucks?
You disagree that coffee sitting on a heating element for a couple of hours is less fresh than a new cup of Keurig?
I haven't had a mess problem with any of the dozen Keurigs that I have used. I suggest cleaning the one at work, which would likely be appreciated since it sounds filthy.

You disagree that a Keurig cup of coffee is cheaper than one at Starbucks?

Nope, I disagree with the tfalse comparison. Keurigs dont come with baristas and building leases and franchise fees etc. Keurig is a consumer coffee maker and should be compared to other consumer coffee makers. By that comparison kcup are 3-4 times more expensive per pound of coffee and the machine is far more expensive that a drip machine.

You disagree that coffee sitting on a heating element for a couple of hours is less fresh than a new cup of Keurig?
If left Keurig coffee out for 2 hours it would also lack freshness. I brew what I intend to drink. I will throw in that the K I use can't get the coffee hot the same way my good ol mr coffee can either...

I haven't had a mess problem with any of the dozen Keurigs that I have used. I suggest cleaning the one at work, which would likely be appreciated since it sounds filthy.
Wish I could, we have a company that maintains them along with other stuff and we are told not to touch them. We are on our 2nd or 3rd unit this year as they all have leaked coffee out the bottom. In the 10+ years Ive had the same drip machine-used daily- it has never dropped a tablespoon of coffee ground directly into my coffee. This happens every time with the Keurig if I don't wipe out the inside before closing the handle.

So yes, it is a faster way to pay more for a product of a slightly lower quality.

you don't have to use k-cups

they are nice to have on hand if you have company though....but i never stock them really, i just grind beans at a grocery

and i have never had any problems with them leaking coffee, ever. someone is doing something stupid at work.

My v60 looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00755F9Z4?redirect=true&ref_=cfb_at_prodpg

I use it every morning and I like the coffee taste more than the keurig.

I am still adjusting the brew techniques, and I have about 0 idea what I am doing. The instructions were not in english, and I have no scale to measure grams. This is fine by me, as I don't mind experimenting with variations every morning and simply settling in to what tastes best.

I take my instant-hot water and transfer it to a kettle and get that to a boil, which is obviously quicker. It's easier for me to pour it how I want it from the kettle, as I am trying to pour in an outward spiral.

I have a bad grinder. It doesn't create uniform grounds and this is most obvious after finishing brewing. I will probably keep my eyes peeled for a burr grinder but no hurries right now.

This is not a long process but a longer process than using the Keurig. I really don't mind - the product is superior and the ritual reminds me early in the day to pay attention to my relationship to time.

So yeah for $20 I think this is a fantastic buy. Thanks @Lord Mar for bringing this all to my attention.

It's all about tea made with purple corn you fuckers! It gives you super freaking powers and you will live to be 130!! :coffee:

http://incatea.com/purple-corn-movement/
http://incatea.com/health-highlight/

Buy some!!! :clap:

Pulled the articles of organization on this company. Given that @Maximus clearly has an ownership stake in the company, I thought I was going to be hot on his heels in figuring out his identity.

But alas, only Ryan Florio is listed as a member of Inca Tea, LLC in Parma. Maybe Max is just a minority owner.

Last edited:
It's all about tea made with purple corn you fuckers! It gives you super freaking powers and you will live to be 130!! :coffee:

http://incatea.com/purple-corn-movement/
http://incatea.com/health-highlight/

Buy some!!! :clap:

Bro - as a normal person, let me explain to you how this thought process is going:

-Purple corn - research sounds weak.
-If purple corn is a superfood, I want to buy it and eat a cob, not steep a dime bag of the shit in water. I don't think a tea bag is enough to move the needle.
-Corn itself grows abundantly and cheaply. I get that it might not be the same stuff in Iowa, but the margin on this tea must be incredible. If the purple corn movement gathers steam, then the price will come down as supply goes up.

Cool website and likely successful biz tho.

Pulled the articles of organization on this company. Given that @Maximus clearly has an ownership stake in the company, I thought I was going to be hot on his heels in figuring out his identity.

But alas, only Ryan Florio is listed as a member of Inca Tea, LLC in Parma. Maybe Max is just a minority owner.

Easy, Columbo...i just like the way it tastes.

tumblr_mq65adJg5v1savtcto1_500.gif

Bro - as a normal person, let me explain to you how this thought process is going:

oh-boy-here-we-go-again-_a54153d7c3172f8d00795a1a52670d2a.gif

-Purple corn - research sounds weak.

giphy.gif

-If purple corn is a superfood, I want to buy it and eat a cob, not steep a dime bag of the shit in water. I don't think a tea bag is enough to move the needle.

Then why don't you eat your coffee beans straight? :chuckle:
Doesn't the research say that green tea is one of the healthiest things we can consume as humans? Those shit bags get steeped.
I don't think you want to eat purple corn on the cob. At the risk of getting @Deezus horny...those shits would be terrifying.

All i know is that just by adding this shit into my life, i've decreased my body fat 5%, lowered my blood pressure, my eye sight has corrected, i'm 2" taller...and 2" longer. So stop being a hater, Nater.

tumblr_inline_mzk1pi6Q3n1qj3ir1.gif

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."