• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
What happens if we reach October 1st and the QO expires and the Cavs do not extend the deadline of the QO? (I guess it can be extended until March).

What would his salary be when the season starts if no contract is reached or would he be basically forced to sit out til one is signed?

I'm just asking about this because I'm curious what sort of shenanigans Rich Paul could pull as this drags on.

You are completely wrong about this. Fegan has never held a FA into September. In fact, the only two big time FAs that have in my memory are Bledsoe and Tris. Which is essentially the roster of Rich Paul's client list. There are reasons teams want to be whole by the end of July. They have marketing plans to develop, merchandising to be done, etc. You don't get 18,000 bobbleheads and 100 foot banners over night. Everyone else respects this and can find a way to come to mutually beneficial agreements in days rather than months.

Furthermore, Phoenix blasted him saying that they didn't even hear another offer besides "Max" for months and that they would have given him the 5/70 on day 1 had he asked for it. Thats not negotiating. Thats leveraging teams for their timetables and no one else has ever done it. Its off the table everywhere else.

Eventually he is going to find a team that just pulls its offer because it finds more value in a QO. There are no other real risk as most teams don't have the requisite space to make an offer than puts any real pressure on the front office. The only thing that stops Cle from doing just that is the promise they made LeBron last year. Which is why I said RP is going to find this a lot more difficult without the most influential player of the last 20+ years aiding him.
http://tedi31.blogspot.com/2007/12/dan-fegan-anderson-varejaos-agent-takes.html

my bad i Thought december came after September.

Does anyone really think Griffin and Uriji haven't talked? Toronto would have to move pieces to sign TT, I'm sure they'd want to discuss parameters of a sign-and-trade.

Guaranteed each team knows more than they're letting on. Doesn't bode well for Paul.

Guarantee? You don't know enough to even call it probable...let alone guaranteed.

So wait.

You think I think lbj will go to LA if we don't Max out tt?

I figured @NoTitleTown would be an idiot. and rich might have been drunk, but the rest of you disappoint me.

Uh i

I can barely read half your posts, let alone know what you think.

Here's an idea: just try to communicate more effectively.

You act like you're so smart, but your literacy (or lack thereof) says something else about you entirely.

Reactions: mds
What happens if we reach October 1st and the QO expires and the Cavs do not extend the deadline of the QO? (I guess it can be extended until March).

What would his salary be when the season starts if no contract is reached or would he be basically forced to sit out til one is signed?

I'm just asking about this because I'm curious what sort of shenanigans Rich Paul could pull as this drags on.

The QO goes away, but he's still restricted. At that point, the Cavs could offer him the minimum and dare him to sit out the season or try to find a team with cap room to sign him to an offer sheet (read Philly, Portland (for $15.4 max year 1), Philly (max $11.1 and Utah - for $5.5M unless Paul can figure out some elaborate sign-and-trade scenario).

------------

NTT, if you don't believe that every NBA GM doesn't talk to every other NBA GM on at least a weekly basis, I don't know what to tell you. Anyone who didn't would be laying down on the job. It's just good business sense.

The QO goes away, but he's still restricted. At that point, the Cavs could offer him the minimum and dare him to sit out the season or try to find a team with cap room to sign him to an offer sheet (read Philly, Portland (for $15.4 max year 1), Philly (max $11.1 and Utah - for $5.5M unless Paul can figure out some elaborate sign-and-trade scenario).

------------

NTT, if you don't believe that every NBA GM doesn't talk to every other NBA GM on at least a weekly basis, I don't know what to tell you. Anyone who didn't would be laying down on the job. It's just good business sense.

Every GM talks to every other GM every week? You really believe this?

Every GM talks to every other GM every week? You really believe this?
Maybe not every other GM every week, but I think its much closer to the truth than you’re thinking. Where do you think rumors that such and such a player is “on the trading block” comes from? Those GM conversations.

Not to derail this fun thread, but I have a question:

What team in next year's offseason 1.) have the cap space to sign TT to a max or near max contract 2.) have at least one established star, 3.) that player doesn't play the PF spot and/or 4.) have similar player at C?

I figure that would be a more interesting conversation that stating repeatedly how crazy Rich Paul and TT are.

I thought about the Wizards, but someone pointed out that TT and Gortat are pretty similar in their range. It would be horrible spacing.

There is the Hornets, but they just signed MKG to a long term deal. TT and him at the forward spots would be horrendous spacing as well. Plus they don't have a star player. Them having TT, Walker and MKG signed to big long deals would solidify them as below average team for years, unless they reeeeeallly believe in Kaminsky.

There is the Bucks. Monroe can score a bit, but still would clog the paint and make life tough Parker and Giannis to do anything. Their rim protection would be almost nothing.

Maybe the Pacers. They don't really have anybody in the frontcourt next year. They have George Hill, Paul George, Rodney Stuckey and Monta Ellis taking up most of their cap space.

Orlando seems like a fair landing spot. Vucevic and Frye play outside the paint. They don't really have a start but they have tons of youth.

Maybe not every other GM every week, but I think its much closer to the truth than you’re thinking. Where do you think rumors that such and such a player is “on the trading block” comes from? Those GM conversations.

No they don't. Those rumors mostly come from agents trying to stir up trouble, affect the market, or help their clients. There's a reason so many of those rumors end up being total bullshit--because they don't come from the GMs at all.

Do I think GMs talk frequently? Sure. Do I think they talk weekly? I highly doubt it.

I'd think most GMs only talk when they are trying to make a deal unless of course they are friends. I don't see a team like us or San Antonio making many calls this year unless shit happens but a team like Philly could end up having the rest of the league on speed dial.

It wouldn't surprise me if some teams haven't talked In years tho

I'd think most GMs only talk when they are trying to make a deal unless of course they are friends. I don't see a team like us or San Antonio making many calls this year unless shit happens but a team like Philly could end up having the rest of the league on speed dial.

It wouldn't surprise me if some teams haven't talked In years tho

Agreed. And it probably changes year to year, and has to do with where teams are in their rebuild.

using data from basketball insiders (some extensions may not be updated)
I just went through 4 teams cause that all i have time for.
but just going through 4 teams I think illustrates what your looking at as far as market.
quick key.
Guaranteed Salary - well uh guaranteed
Inclusive total salary - includes , QO offers, Options and non guaranteed salaries.
Free agents - who they might have to replace or persuade to keep
RFA's- restricted free agents
MAX cap 89 projected cap - Guaranteed
MIN cap 89 projected cap - Inclusive

[parsehtml]<style type="text/css">
table.tableizer-table {
border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;
}
.tableizer-table td {
padding: 4px;
margin: 3px;
border: 1px solid #ccc;
}
.tableizer-table th {
background-color: #104E8B;
color: #FFF;
font-weight: bold;
}
</style><table class="tableizer-table">
<tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Team</th><th>Guaranteed</th><th>inclusive</th><th>Free Agents</th><th>RFA's</th><th>Space MAX</th><th>Space Min</th><th>&nbsp;</th></tr>
<tr><td>Atlanta</td><td>$47,727,166</td><td>$61,248,989</td><td>Al Horford.</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$41,272,834.00</td><td>$27,751,011.00</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Boston</td><td>$25,473,536</td><td>$65,072,273</td><td>David Lee, Evan Turner</td><td>Tyler Zeller, Jared Sullinger </td><td>$63,526,464.00</td><td>$23,927,727.00</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Brooklyn</td><td>$45,379,214</td><td>$62,583,851</td><td>Joe Johnson </td><td>Wilie Reed markel brown</td><td>$43,620,786.00</td><td>$26,416,149.00</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Charlotte</td><td>$34,078,759</td><td>$52,527,651</td><td>Al Jefferson, Nicolas Batum Marvin Williams Brian roberts Tyler Hansbrough</td><td>Jeremy Lamb Troy Daniels Jason Washburn Sam Thompson</td><td>$54,921,241.00</td><td>$36,472,349.00</td><td></td></tr>
</table>
[/parsehtml]and it looks like it cut off the numbers i wanted to post which is a product of this forum being the most chart/spreadsheet unfriendly site in the universe after once being one of the best
[parsehtml]<style type="text/css">
table.tableizer-table {
border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;
}
.tableizer-table td {
padding: 4px;
margin: 3px;
border: 1px solid #ccc;
}
.tableizer-table th {
background-color: #104E8B;
color: #FFF;
font-weight: bold;
}
</style><table class="tableizer-table">
<tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th></th></tr>
<tr><td>Team</td><td>Guaranteed</td><td>inclusive</td><td>Space MAX</td><td>Space Min</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Atlanta</td><td>$47,727,166</td><td>$61,248,989</td><td>$41,272,834.00</td><td>$27,751,011.00</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Boston</td><td>$25,473,536</td><td>$65,072,273</td><td>$63,526,464.00</td><td>$23,927,727.00</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Brooklyn</td><td>$45,379,214</td><td>$62,583,851</td><td>$43,620,786.00</td><td>$26,416,149.00</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Charlotte</td><td>$34,078,759</td><td>$52,527,651</td><td>$54,921,241.00</td><td>$36,472,349.00</td><td></td></tr>
</table>
[/parsehtml]

Last edited:
Atlanta is unrealistic. They just paid Paul Millsap 20 million a year and traded for Splitter. Again, no OTHER team is paying TT 18 million a year to be a back-up.

Atlanta is unrealistic. They just paid Paul Millsap 20 million a year and traded for Splitter. Again, no OTHER team is paying TT 18 million a year to be a back-up.
okay the question was teams that could. I looked up the first four teams alphabetically and showed a chart of their upcoming cap space.
I mean we can go through every team and rationalize they wouldnt get thompson. doesnt make it true. should Atlanta lose horford they might get make a run at thompson because Tiago isnt a 36 minute a night center

As i said i wasnt gonna go through every team and make a chart then fight with the post to make it readable.

the questions was what team can financially afford to pay Tristan while having max contract guys in place.

the answer is lots.

furthermore. we dont know what injuries will occur, or trade, or wholl get extensions and who wont.

There is a market for TT on the free agent market and there will be teams in a financial position to pay the guy.

Last edited:
okay the question was teams that could. I looked up the first four teams alphabetically and showed a chart of their upcoming cap space.
I mean we can go through every team and rationalize they wouldnt get thompson. doesnt make it true. should Atlanta lose horford they might get make a run at thompson because Tiago isnt a 36 minute a night center

As i said i wasnt gonna go through every team and make a chart then fight with the post to make it readable.

the questions was what team can financially afford to pay Tristan while having max contract guys in place.

the answer is lots.

furthermore. we dont know what injuries will occur, or trade, or wholl get extensions and who wont.

There is a market for TT on the free agent market and there will be teams in a financial position to pay the guy.

Ugh, no, that wasn't the question. Read it again. He asked for teams that have the cap space and a star player that does NOT play the PF spot. Honest to god you should try to be the man's agent. Atlanta is one of the more unrealistic spots for Thompson to land after all the money they just threw at Paul Millsap.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."