• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 Game #5 -|- #1 Ohio State @ Indiana -|- October 3rd, 2015 @ 3:30 PM

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
People will cop out with the lazy answer and just blanket "playcalling" or the QB.

The reality of the situation is, the blocking up front has been nowhere near as dominant. The WRs (aside from Thomas) have not been able to replace Spencer and Smith, especially the outside blocking of Spencer to open up the second level for Elliot.

Until the players decide they want to execute the play calls better, there isn't much that can be done to improve.

Warriner shifting focus to play-calling obviously has played a role here, as has the loss of Tom Herman. The offense has to figure a bunch of things out as the year moves forward.

Still undefeated though.
Literally, the same plays from last year. Just worse execution.

Reactions: AZ_
I will still say it, Cardale is more talented than JT. Also, I don't think the closeness of this game was on Cardale, as we have much bigger problems. BUT, some things are very wrong, and I think it merits a serious conversation around JT being named the starter. I know JT hasn't played better this season, and I think that's why it may be worth a look. If JT gets the week to practice as a starter, and the offense looks stale with him next week, then we go with Cardale's talent throughout the rest of the season. Anyways, here are my criticisms of this game. We did a lot of things well, but I don't have a ton of time, so here are my faults.

First, Cardale is inconsistent with certain throws. I think this is what @AZ_ was getting at weeks ago when we debated the idea of QB reps. I still don't believe reps are a good indicator of NFL success, but I can admit when I'm wrong, and I do think they are demonstrating flaws in Cardale's game. The question to me is, why is this effecting Cardale now? Indiana kept going to the 3-3-5 on 3rd downs but that is hardly an impossible defense. But Cardale makes certain throws very well, and then one drive later can't hit those throws. I ultimately don't think Cardale is not finding the open receiver, rather, sometimes he just can't convert a pass to the open receiver when he finds him.

Second, and I think it effects the first problem, is the playcalling. We are using the pass to setup the run, which is the opposite of how we should be playing. Our offense started moving when Zeke became our go-to guy this game. Additionally, if the playcalling on passing plays are going to be short, dink-and-dunk throws than JT is the better option. He spreads the defense more because of his speed allowing the receivers to run after the catch.

Third, the offensive line looks confused. There were a number of plays today where one member of the line pushed rather than pulled, or vice-versa, when that was not the correct action.

Fourth, and this isn't as much of a criticism as a talent evaluation, we don't have a true big play receiver. That's okay, but some of the routes they are running are just blatantly bad for their skill sets. On that note, I wish we could find a way to get Braxton Miller the ball in the open field more.

Finally, the defense made a few mistakes, but I think that was more of a result of the QB change than anything else.

Overall I don't think we will look this bad throughout the rest of the season. But it does feel like Florida State last year. Except Cardale doesn't look nearly as good as Jameis.

The penalties have got to be mentioned. I mean, goddam. Was it like 100 yards just in 15 yard penalties?

People will cop out with the lazy answer and just blanket "playcalling" or the QB.

The reality of the situation is, the blocking up front has been nowhere near as dominant. The WRs (aside from Thomas) have not been able to replace Spencer and Smith, especially the outside blocking of Spencer to open up the second level for Elliot.

Until the players decide they want to execute the play calls better, there isn't much that can be done to improve.

Warriner shifting focus to play-calling obviously has played a role here, as has the loss of Tom Herman. The offense has to figure a bunch of things out as the year moves forward.

Still undefeated though.

Great post.

It's times like these where Ohio State really misses a guy like Jeff Heuerman as that underneath threat. Jake Hausmann can't get here soon enough.....

If urban has such little faith to not let cardale throw on 3rd and 10, why play him?

Disagree. Urban did the same thing with JT all of last year in close games. No faith in JT?

The defense gave up 1 big play. The other was a blatant offensive PI that wasn't called. Meanwhile, they continue to have an offense that turns the ball over at a high rate making life really, really difficult on them. Considering the offensive struggles, I think the defense has more than proven itself.

The defense gave up 1 big play. The other was a blatant offensive PI that wasn't called. Meanwhile, they continue to have an offense that turns the ball over at a high rate making life really, really difficult on them. Considering the offensive struggles, I think the defense has more than proven itself.

Gotta be pretty rare where your defense has forced 9 turnovers in 5 games, all while the team has a -4 turnover margin, especially when you consider the talent level on offense...just shows how bad the offense has been holding onto the ball and how much more the defense has had to do so far because of them...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."