• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2016 Draft Prospects Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Not to keep bringing this comparison up, because I don't think he's on that level.

But from your eye, tell me that first touchdown didn't look like Peyton...

Active feet in the pocket, lock and load, a 40-yard seed.

You spelled Mangini wrong

Edit: Actually nevermind, the Banner/Lombardi 2013 is worse than Mangini's Magnum opus. Even with the awful trade down, Alex Mack beats Armonty Bryant
Banner/Lombardi were the MOST competent we've had.

You can't blame them for only having 2 picks in the first 5 rounds. Some of that was actually because they realized it was one of the worst drafts in recent years. They got a 3rd rounder in the next draft for a fourth rounder that ended up being the S for the Steelers Thomas (who sucks).

People can rag on the Mingo pick all day, but really, go look at that first round. It was stinky, SMELLY, garbage. The four picks immediately following Mingo? Two guards, Tavon Austin, and Dee Milliner.

The second rounder was lost because of Gordon. We took McFadden in the 3rd. Obviously sucked, but seriously, I'm linking it so everyone can appreciate how bad it was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

Armonty was a gem.

Banbardi pulled off a miracle in recouping a first rounder for a slow plodding RB with no vision. They signed by far and away our best pass rusher on a good free agent deal. Kruger had 12 sacks last year. I think Wimbley's rookie year was the last time that happened for the Browns.

They catch a ton of flack, but I think this team would be much better off with them still in charge. I highly doubt we would have Manziel right now. Judging Banbardi on one draft with 6 picks (4 in the 6th/7th round) in a historically weak draft class isn't fair IMO.

Banner/Lombardi were the MOST competent we've had.

Eh fine fair points. Not taking the trade down that they admitted they had and was around 15 was a miss though when we had as few picks as we did and Chud really wanted Tyler Eifert

The biggest issue I have is the fact that Mingo never had a chance to do anything in a 3-4 and they still took him. Mingo was a 225 OLB coming out of LSU who the LSU coaches couldn't get any weight on and admitted it. He has a hyper-metabolism, he was never going to get much over 230LB until his 30s. Plus with shoulders that look like they should belong on Justin Gilbert than a real OLB, Mingo was going to never be able to use any strength. That's why I was saying during the draft that Miami and Cleveland took each other's players as Mingo's only chance in this league was as a 4-3 Weakside Linebacker and Dion Jordan was much more of a 3-4 OLB

I tend to agree that Banner & Lombardi were the best in terms of draft strategy and assessment. I think given enough time they would have added a lot of talent to the roster. That being said, they lacked in people skills. They treated players too much like pawns in their chess game then actual people. Sometimes smart people can't see that and that's why they fail. As important as measurements and analytics are, the game is played by people. People make mistakes. People need to be motivated. People need to be lead.

Banner and Lombardi were not leaders. You can't lead from the ivory tower and expect people to respect you.

Mock Draft 1.0 - 1/4 Poll Edition:

Just want to use this as an opportunity to put some names on your radar as I did last year. I'll try and do another through every quarter of the season as the draft board and this team's likely destination become clearer.

IMO, the Browns will be entering a make-or-break season as an organization. The third year of a regime has historically been that, and with Haslam in the FO we're likely to see that trend continue.

Until I hear otherwise, or begin to see the writing on the wall, I'll approach these with the assumption that everyone in the FO is returning.

Given that, I say pray to the tank Gods the Browns end up with a top three pick and the various other teams ahead of them are established at QB.

So without further rambling, here is how I'd approach this off-season.

Free Agency:

Mitchell Schwartz - Must be resigned, continuity on the OL and he's developed into a solid, consistent precense.

Tashaun Gipson - Must be resigned, Pro-Bowl caliber safety.

Craig Robertson - I'd love to resign him, and I think they may end up releasing Dansby to keep Robertson long-term.

Gary Barnidge - Must resign. End of fucking story, bitches.

Travis Benjamin - Would like to have him back, not sure how likely it is given the names above him

Alex Mack (player option) - Will almost certainly opt-out/leave

Additional FA wish list:

Veteran RB - There are a plethora available this off-season, would love to see someone brought in behind Crowell/Duke

Veteran swing G/T - Takes the place vacated by Erving, who moves into the starting role

MLB - One of Robertson or Dansby is likely gone, would like to see a veteran presence added as depth.

Draft:

1 - Jared Goff* - QB - California - Likely the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. He's got all parts of the game in the plus column, with the exception of Pro-Style collegiate offense. The best in this class by a wide margin.

*Browns trade back in the second round to acquire an additional 3rd rounder
2 - Jordan Jenkins - OLB - Georgia - The Browns still aren't getting pressure like you'd want them to, Kruger will be another year older and Mingo could find himself on his way out. Jenkins knows how to set the edge and get to the QB. He's exactly what you're looking for in a pass rusher and would fill the void left by Sheard, who has been missed.

3 - Jake Butt - TE - Michigan - This guy has excellent body control and superb hands. He'll make plays for you as a weapon in the passing game and is a capable blocker. The Barnidge Butt tight end combo will be an elite one.

3b - Nelson Spruce - WR - Colorado - The definition of consistent, this guy is going to catch a ton of passes and move the chains. Operating under the assumption Josh Gordon will play again, Spruce provides an excellent asset who will be moved all over the field for mismatches.

4 - De'Runnya Wilson - WR - Miss St. - Bigger, physical WR the unit has lacked without Gordon. Wilson has excellent hands, but lacks the speed and agility to make him a higher ranked prospect. A matchup weapon and excellent red zone target to be a matchup issue.

5 - Jaime Byrd - S - South Florida - A bit undersized, but flies to the football every play and makes things happen defensively. Would be an absolute missile on special teams, and would eventually provide depth behind Gipson/Poyer/Campbell.

6 - Roberto Aguayo - K - Florida State - Been on this dude for a while, he's the best kicking prospect in quite some time.

7 - Kolton Houston - OT/OG - Georgia - Versatile and technically sound, adds depth to the offensive line.

Additional FA wish list:

Veteran RB - There are a plethora available this off-season, would love to see someone brought in behind Crowell/Duke

I want to see Turbin before declaring this one a need, other than that pretty spot on

Edit: One more, no way Aguayo makes it out of the 4th, he'll probably go in the latter half of the 3rd

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ_
I want to see Turbin before declaring this one a need, other than that pretty spot on

He'll have a chance to make it a moot point, for sure.

The Browns need to petition the NFL for some kind of 'Legacy' contact designation for Barnidge, with the new Legacy designation being a lifetime deal with ownership rights. Then, after he retires, rename it 'Barnidge Rights' (Gary is too humble to have it named after him now).

Browns lose on an offside call and two the of winless teams (Bears, Saints) get their first W.

Now if Detroit can not blow this against Tennessee, it will have been a perfect #FuckOffForGoff week.

Browns lose on an offside call and two the of winless teams (Bears, Saints) get their first W.

Now if Detroit can not blow this against Tennessee, it will have been a perfect #FuckOffForGoff week.

Yea I wish this was Tennessee, it's Seattle tonight

Detroit has some winnable games coming up but they had a very hard opening to the season with GB, Minn, and a healthy San Diego into Seattle tonight

Especially liked that Goff fought back after a slow, shitty start.

Can't wait to see what the kid can do against Utah this week.

Yea I wish this was Tennessee, it's Seattle tonight

Detroit has some winnable games coming up but they had a very hard opening to the season with GB, Minn, and a healthy San Diego into Seattle tonight

Damnit, haha......I somehow forgot bye's started.

I hadn't remembered Tennessee playing and thought that was who was on Monday night.

Ok, so we'll have to wait until next week for Detroit to get a win. :chuckle:

Guys I'm scared. Yesterday our defense stepped up big time, but our pesky offense did everything they could to win. We even successfully ran a screen play to a RB. I couldn't believe my eyes! That offense looked capable of stealing a few games, and with how horse manure Houston looks, with Chicago now looking to trade Forte (cheating bastards), and with the Jags losing to Matt Hasselbeck 2 wins might be the max if we want that first pick.

It's time to fight fire with fire and bring out weapon X (Johnny). I don't think McCown can lead us to Goff

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."