• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I know that's what we want. The question is what the Cavs do if RP brings up a discounted one year deal, and the alternative is a continued holdout of unknown duration.

They tell him that the time for that option passed on October first. It is no longer available this season. We have a nice 80 million dollar five year contract that you can sign, however. ;)

When asked he said they targeted certain players and not others but he couldn't comment on any one specifically.
I don't recall him ever mentioning Thompson's name whatsoever.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/t...lamarcus-aldridge-and-the-future-of-the-team/

He details bringing in Kanter with an aggressive offer sheet, and his disappointment when the contract is matched. Then Lowe asks him why they don't do the same with Tris and there is a long pause. Then Olshey says "some players don't fit what we are trying to do here". If you read into what people say and how they say it at all, it was pretty funny. In Lowe's last podcast with Windy he says he spoke with Olshey and that he is pretty sure there is no interest. Again, he tries to avoid speaking for a GM but it should be evident to everyone that there is simply no interest there. And given the makeup of the team, its current place in the development curve, etc it just makes no sense.

Its also a pretty unbearable podcast in that the last 30 min was exclusively about Seinfeld trivia.

What has been reported by numerous insiders and analysts is that Portland does have some interest in Thompson - just not for the max; which is what they might feel it takes to get him.

So you are willing to bypass the direct words of the Portland GM and all reason and cite Rich Paul's insane propaganda. Gotcha.

The point is that Portland might want to use their remaining cap space to acquire an asset. It doesn't matter what position he plays. Right now, Thompson is the biggest name free agent still available, and they might be able to work out a short-term deal.

Portland essentially cannot trade a player signed as a RFA the first season. So you are saying that they should ignore their status as a rebuilding team, overlook that HALF the roster is comprised of young talent that plays the same position as TT, so they can bring him in as an asset that they cannot utilize for a year and even then they only have him under contract for another year. IF Cle doesn't match a comically low offer sheet.

Again, I really don't think you fully understand what is being argued if this is the position you're taking.

Do you get that this has nothing to do with Thompson being a long-term Blazer?

I'm not sure why you're speaking matter of factly about something none of us knows about.
To be quite honest, I think you missed the point of my post.

If you are going to call me to the mat please have a better handle on the CBA and the rules that dictate how this conflict will play out.

I enjoy hearing new ideas and being challenged to look at complex situations from a new perspective. Its why I'm here. To hear the ideas of other passionate Cavs fans. Bob in particular has repeatedly changed my perspective on things. But the opposing views have to be relevant in the environment we are discussing. And you seem intent to cite what I consider obvious propaganda in lieu of facts, and hopes in lieu of a defined process and set of rules this has to play out under.

Last edited:
If an appropriate trade partner is identified, and throwing in a few extra million gets Thompson to approve the deal, then the one year deal is worth it to eliminate the problem and move on. A deal with TOR that brings back Biyombo would be fine with me.

Its obvious that the dude just does not want to be with CLE long term. He sees himself as a starter, and that is not happening here. His position is ridiculous because only a ridiculous amount of money will compensate him for consigning himself to the bench for five years behind Love and Mozgov.

Here are the players Portland has brought in this offseason:

Vonleh, 20, PF
Aminu, 25, Small Ball PF/SF
Mason Plumlee, 25, PF/C
Ed Davis, 26, PF/C
Mo Harkless 22, SF/PF
Cliff Alexander, 20, PF (Draft Pick)

They already HAD Meyers Leonard (23) and Kaman.

And you think they want to pay ANOTHER PF? And Olshey has publicly said they have no interest in him. I laughed when I heard him attempt to say it diplomatically. There is literally NO REASON for Portland to DO ANYTHING in re: TT. Nevermind that they lost LA, Wes Matthews, Batum, and ROLO and that they are rebuilding and would have no interest in paying a role player that much at this time (same with Philly).

What Port DOES do is allow another team that needs to dump salary to trade them salary in order to sign TT. But they would need to make the trade to Port (which would certainly include draft picks to offset the salary dump) just to sign him to an offer sheet which the Cavs would CERTAINLY match (given that they could only offer 4 years with 4.5% raises). Which makes this exercise completely irrelevant.

Not to mention, when Lopez wasn't in, Plumlee was tearing it up (both are post-up/pick-pop players and couldn't co-exist). But he's not a rim protector, and pairs better with Meyers Leonard, and to a lesser extent Kaman.

Further, I wonder Gourimoko how it is that Thompson really sells tickets. Do people pay to see your backup PF? it's such a silly short-term play that your almost calling someone stupid by suggesting they'll do such a thing. Portland is better off saving space, not just for next yr for Durant, but yr after when Blake is available.

The whole thing makes no sense. No one is building a franchise around Tristan Thompson and you don't pay non-building blocks max money.

Because LeBron believed the deal was done when Tristan/Paul agreed in principle to the $80M/5yr deal. When they reneged on the agreement, James was already under contract.

If we do this again over the course of a season, James will not likely sign until Tristan's deal is done.

This gives Paul essentially infinite leverage, since without James, we don't really have a functional team.

Read above.

I really don't think it's in Cavaliers' best interest to redo this again next season.

Once Tristan decided to forgo the QO, he lost a great deal of leverage as it meant he would be forced to sign a multi-year deal with some team, and that the Cavs could match whatever offer he signed.

By giving him a $10M/1yr deal, we're essentially just making the situation immeasurably worse because now the entire season will be about Tristan's upcoming offseason demands and how LeBron will act as an enforcer.

I highly doubt Cavs want to go back into free agency negotiations with Rich Paul anytime soon, since I doubt Paul will leave James out of it.

It would be better actually, because he'd be tradeable without his consent. It's not in the Cavs best interest though.

I agree, but this really wouldn't be a "let's fuck with them" moment.

It is in Portland's best interest to try and get Tristan under a reasonable, tradeable contract. They can either keep him, or move him for assets. At $13M in year 1, that might be possible (to Toronto for example).

While Cavs fans might say, well surely Cleveland would match a two-year deal, you cannot say that objectively - and you certainly can't make a logical argument as to why Portland wouldn't want to sign Tristan to an offer sheet.

If this were still the offseason, I would agree. But at this point, it's really no sweat off their back, it's a 72-hour cap hold, that's it.

I think Portland wants to sell tickets and are anxious to leave the rebuilding phase. That town loves basketball and got a raw deal with LMA leaving.

I can see Portland spending $13M on Tristan if they thought he would blossom or be a trade asset to Toronto or another team with interest.
You think LeBron James is a threat to leave again? lol
He is committed forever here. Says the letter. Says the commercial. Says his reputation and brand value.
Get serious. Rich Paul has no leverage. TT sits out the season unsigned and enters next summer as an RFA again. Or he signs a multi-year deal on the Cavs terms at some point this season. I enjoy your subjective attempts at connecting the dots though. Mucho respect to you sir.

Not to mention, when Lopez wasn't in, Plumlee was tearing it up (both are post-up/pick-pop players and couldn't co-exist). But he's not a rim protector, and pairs better with Meyers Leonard, and to a lesser extent Kaman.

Further, I wonder Gourimoko how it is that Thompson really sells tickets. Do people pay to see your backup PF? it's such a silly short-term play that your almost calling someone stupid by suggesting they'll do such a thing. Portland is better off saving space, not just for next yr for Durant, but yr after when Blake is available.
This ^^^

I know that's what we want. The question is what the Cavs do if RP brings up a discounted one year deal, and the alternative is a continued holdout of unknown duration.
We hang up the phone. And we fax him the 5-year, $80 mil offer again. And again. And again.

The whole thing makes no sense. No one is building a franchise around Tristan Thompson and you don't pay non-building blocks max money.

The other problem is that signing him based on the idea that you're going to sell him at a profit later in the season is risky. If he doesn't impress - which is entirely possible when he's not paired with dominant offensive players that allow him to focus on his areas of strength - the investment goes sour. And while the contract would probably still be movable, the return might not be enough to justify the salary and minutes he gets.

Especially considering the frontcourt logjam in Portland.

We have a fucking championship to win. It's one thing for TT to play these games during the summer with nothing going on, but preseason has already started and with rumors flying around that TT is going to carry this on well into the regular season, Tristan just comes off as a greedy asshole.

If he does indeed continue to hold out for a while and we're able to do just fine without him in the regular season (unfortunately that may be predicated on Varejao's health, but he usually seems to get injured when he has a starting role, which isn't nearly the case here), then fuck him. He can go see what other teams are willing to have him for the max, and I guarantee there's none. He has no leverage here.

And I know Rich Paul is at fault, too, but I expect this from him. Tristan's behavior is what's disappointing and irritating.

If the Cavs come out of the gate winning in the regular season and Ed Davis doesnt make a favorable impression. That 2 year offer for Portland would certainly be appealing.
As far as Kanter goes There was alot of talk about OKC not being willing to match a high offer. Cavs made clear to everyone they mwould match on Tristan.
BTW it wouldnt serve Olshey any benefit expressing interest in Thompson at that point of time when the interview occured.

Pauls first preference is gonna be a 5 year deal
His second preference would be a 3 year deal for the same money
His third preference would be a one year deal at high value.
His 4th preference would be for a 2 year offer from portland at 15 to 16 million per year.

Im not sure why would not think a PF/C turning 24 wouldnnt be part of a rebuilding teams plans.

also not sure why Thompson would be a back up in Portland.

The 30 NBA teams have ~600M to spend on this barron free agent class. Guys like Batum are almost a lock to get 20M+. Conley is a cinch to get a 5/150 deal from Memphis. Its a good year to be a free agent basketball player. That uncertainty is what is fueling some of these massive overpays (TWO teams willing to pay Kanter 17.5M?!???!).

If the Cavs come out of the gate winning in the regular season and Ed Davis doesnt make a favorable impression. That 2 year offer for Portland would certainly be appealing.
As far as Kanter goes There was alot of talk about OKC not being willing to match a high offer. Cavs made clear to everyone they mwould match on Tristan.
BTW it wouldnt serve Olshey any benefit expressing interest in Thompson at that point of time when the interview occured.

Pauls first preference is gonna be a 5 year deal
His second preference would be a 3 year deal for the same money
His third preference would be a one year deal at high value.
His 4th preference would be for a 2 year offer from portland at 15 to 16 million per year.

Im not sure why would not think a PF/C turning 24 wouldnnt be part of a rebuilding teams plans.

also not sure why Thompson would be a back up in Portland.

That interview wasn't that long ago. Every other FA had signed by then. In terms of basketball time it might as well have been yesterday.

Portland is going to be one of the two or three worst teams in the NBA next year. They are already invested in 5 young PFs. Why on earth would they pay a role player 16M/ to improve to become the 4th worst team in the NBA when they can develop their young players that are all making significantly less?

Paul's preference is immaterial at this point. And suggesting his last option is to sign in Portland when he has no chance of receiving an offer from them is more than a little ostrich-like.

Tris has two options. Sign the deal the Cavs have offered or sit out.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."