• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I did some more research and apparently I'm wrong. He would get the full salary unless he holds out past Jan 10th.

Do you have a link for that? I understand the issue for calculating salaries in subsequent years, but I didn't see anything in the cbafaq addressing it.

I did some more research and apparently I'm wrong. He would get the full salary unless he holds out past Jan 10th.

The team can't pro-rate it otherwise because the first year's salary is used to calculate raises the following seasons.

Though he has no contract to return to at this point. So there is nothing to stop the Cavs from negotiating a contract to pay him less overall if he holds out. He gets 5 years for $80 million before the season and 5 years $75 million if he skips a third of a season.

That could be, but Paul could also get that money back by basically just asking for an extra couple million. That way the Cavs can claim they aren't paying TT while he held out but TT still gets the same money. Who knows, hehe.

Unfortunately I don't think there's really a way that Tristan comes out of this a loser, unless you can call 5y/80m for a role player "losing".

What I'd love to see is a sign and trade of Tristan but it just doesn't seem realistic ATM.

Congrats on the 15,000th post lol

The agent can try to get the team to pay the full amount even if the player sits out. The team can also refuse.

My guess is the Cavs have already informed Paul that any deal will be pro-rated. Whether Dan sticks to that...who knows. I suspect he will, though.
Unless its mandated, the Cavs have every reason to pro-rate this years salary, because the luxury tax amount also decreases.

Make no mistake, if he sits out during the regular season, the contract will get smaller. Every week that goes by is a week TT doesn't get paid, and I see no reason Griffen would even remotely think of upping their offer if Paul & TT decide to hold out that long. Let the contract get smaller and smaller, it's on them.

Some on here have suggested Griffen should offer a smaller contract because of all this. Up until the start of the season, that would be a big mistake and a poor decision going forward. Once the season starts, he ABSOLUTELY should offer a smaller contract. There is no bad blood forming from that decision, if Griffen makes it clear now that once the season starts the 5 year/80 million deal is off the table. If Paul is unwilling to negotiate and hold out Thompson from being a part of a contending team, then Paul has to realize he's going to be stuck with a smaller contract for his client, and a bad rap as an agent. There's no way the Cavs let this run it's course with Paul/TT knowing they'll always have an 80mil contract to fall back in. The Cavs hold the leverage now, there is no reason to give Paul any, even with the potential of pissing LeBron off, because at the end of the day we just want a championship, not being held hostage by our bench players to pony up to whatever they desire. That's not how the organization will be run.

Just bottom line, if this goes on for a month or longer as Windhorst predicts, I'd expect Griffen to only get more aggressive and Thompson to get screwed in the long run. He doesn't have any other options, so no reason not to punish him for this.

Make no mistake, if he sits out during the regular season, the contract will get smaller. Every week that goes by is a week TT doesn't get paid, and I see no reason Griffen would even remotely think of upping their offer if Paul & TT decide to hold out that long. Let the contract get smaller and smaller, it's on them.

Some on here have suggested Griffen should offer a smaller contract because of all this. Up until the start of the season, that would be a big mistake and a poor decision going forward. Once the season starts, he ABSOLUTELY should offer a smaller contract. There is no bad blood forming from that decision, if Griffen makes it clear now that once the season starts the 5 year/80 million deal is off the table. If Paul is unwilling to negotiate and hold out Thompson from being a part of a contending team, then Paul has to realize he's going to be stuck with a smaller contract for his client, and a bad rap as an agent. There's no way the Cavs let this run it's course with Paul/TT knowing they'll always have an 80mil contract to fall back in. The Cavs hold the leverage now, there is no reason to give Paul any, even with the potential of pissing LeBron off, because at the end of the day we just want a championship, not being held hostage by our bench players to pony up to whatever they desire. That's not how the organization will be run.

Just bottom line, if this goes on for a month or longer as Windhorst predicts, I'd expect Griffen to only get more aggressive and Thompson to get screwed in the long run. He doesn't have any other options, so no reason not to punish him for this.

Well said, I think Rich Paul is shooting himself in the leg, no team is going to or want to deal with this kind of agent/player going forward unless ofcourse the player is the next MJ.

If Ed Davis is actually an option for the Cavs if this Tristan deal really goes south I think its a no brainer. Can anyone remember what Tristan was before Lebron came? He was average at best. Granted he has always been a good rebounder, but other than that he was a liability everywhere else. Ed Davis can actually put the ball in the basket. People seem to forget that every big guy with some athletiscm that Lebron plays with turns into a household name. I always go back to Joel Anthony who is and always was terrible, but somehow was looked at as a decent player while playing with lebron.

If Tristan continues this and we can actually get Davis, bring him in now.

We don't need to replace TT with another power forward necessarily. We can add a shooting guard or a small forward instead. That I think is more important.

We don't need to replace TT with another power forward necessarily. We can add a shooting guard or a small forward instead. That I think is more important.

I think that depends on how well Kaun can continue to play.

We cant rely on Andy beeing our only bench Center(or PF who can play Center like TT). Andy so far looks awesome but we will need to keep his minutes a bit down to prevent injuries. Sasha might be 30 but he is a rookie in terms of NBA Mileage. he propably will be able to play solid 5 or even more years.

If Sasha keeps up the exellent Defense and his offense catches up somewhat then i am fine with trying to get maybe a younger 3&D Wing to have a longterm option behind Lebron. RJ,JJ wont be able to play forever.

I think we dont need a classic 6th Man like a Crawford or Ginobili. We have enough Scoring in our Starting 5 and JR can score as well.

But lets not fool ourself versitaile 3&D guys who can play 2 or even better 3 Positons are rare and thus can be costly. We have to see if such a player is attainable with the TPE.

A Energy Rebounding,Defending,Hustling Big might be easier to get if things with TT cant get resolved.

Though he has no contract to return to at this point. So there is nothing to stop the Cavs from negotiating a contract to pay him less overall if he holds out. He gets 5 years for $80 million before the season and 5 years $75 million if he skips a third of a season.

Yeah, they could do that, but the complication is that the reduction in salary would be spread over the life of the contract, not just in this year. That means that the Cavs lose the tax benefit of having the salary loss all come in this season.

That's why I'm interested in seeing how pro rata salaries are handled under the CBA, and the source for the Jan 10 date mentioned by @KI4MVP .

This whole thing makes no sense. Portland and Sixers aren't offering a contract because it isn't in the plans for what they are doing with having young assets on cap friendly contracts. Tristan and Rich basically lost the battle by not accepting the qualifying offer which means he wants to be with the Cavs long term. I think David Griffin assumed last thursday deadline would bring this to an end as he would sign the QO or accept their offer. Everything about this situation leads me to believe the sides aren't even talking until one compromises. I will say everybody in the Cavs organization and family were sure daping and talking and smiling with Rich Paul at the Wine and Gold Scrimmage.

Well said, I think Rich Paul is shooting himself in the leg, no team is going to or want to deal with this kind of agent/player going forward unless ofcourse the player is the next MJ.

Yeah, the message he's delivering is basically god forbid your backup power forward has a good playoffs! Because then I will try to rape you at the negotiating table. That is hardly driving a bargain for the next MJ

I don't know what the fuck is going on in Tristan's mind.

I think we should just blame Chris Grant for this one too :chuckle:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."