• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
All kidding aside, Tourn, you seem smarter than that entourage-like greedy punk (Rich Paul) pictured above with LeBron. So use your edit button, go back, and cut that absurd crap about Mozgov outta your post. It's a terrible take. Seriously.

Disagree. If he didn't want to pay with the cavs he would have signed the QO
So by turning down 4 separate contract offers to play for the Cavs somehow exhibits he wants to play for the Cavs? Seems legit lol sound logic there.

Yeah I'm kind of taking an Occam's Razor view of the 5y/80m offer. Basically everyone regardless of stance on TT is using that figure and it's been out there for months. None of the theories as to why it should be different have been compelling enough to make me believe that things aren't simply as reported by all the media.

ALL of the media has used one source to report it. Neither Paul's team nor the Cavs have come close to confirming it in a public way. Every report has sourced one tweet from Marc Stein - that's it.

Neither the Cavs nor Paul have any good reason to comment on it, but in the Twitter world, it's now rock-solid fact.

I've been saying in this thread for weeks, it's BS.

ALL of the media has used one source to report it. Neither Paul's team nor the Cavs have come close to confirming it in a public way. Every report has sourced one tweet from Marc Stein - that's it.

Neither the Cavs nor Paul have any good reason to comment on it, but in the Twitter world, it's now rock-solid fact.

I've been saying in this thread for weeks, it's BS.
I think it's the best info we have to go off of since it's really not been disputed publicly by anyone. When Broussard dropped that bad info about the 3 year deal being signed, we had people calling it out as wrong within 15 to 30 minutes because they were making calls to confirm.

You also have no way of knowing that all the various media are using that one tweet is their source info. It's quite possible that multiple media members sought and received confirmation of the dollar amount on various separate occasions, possibly using multiple individuals as sources. Maybe it all stems from the same person (presumably someone in Tristan's camp) but how could we know that one way or another at this point?

I'm not saying the reported figure has to be correct, but it seems more logical to work with the reported value since it's not disputed in the media. We really have no better estimate to work with.

All kidding aside, Tourn, you seem smarter than that entourage-like greedy punk (Rich Paul) pictured above with LeBron. So use your edit button, go back, and cut that absurd crap about Mozgov outta your post. It's a terrible take. Seriously.

I think it's one of the stronger stances Torn has taken in this thing. What does Moz bring you? Shot blocking at the rim, and a solid offensive game 10 feet from the basket and in. What does he cost you? He's slow and can't stretch outside of the paint defensively. I think the GSW are at the cutting edge of how to sculpt a roster without a dominant big. There are teams with fast centers who can guard the perimeter with some effectiveness (Whiteside and Drummond immediately come to mind) who, defensively at least, can stay in when a team goes small. But Moz being in when a team plays a 3 pt shooting PF at C is a huge liability. He isn't enough of an offensive plus to offset his defensive limitations in that system.

That's where Thompson provides this roster with noticeable value. He's an undersized center against traditional centers, but he is quick and much better at stretching out to the wing when necessary without allowing easy dribble penetration. The best case scenario is obviously to keep both on the roster long term: it maximizes our flexibility if a team tries to beat us via matchups. But arguing that Thompson is a better option over Mozgov if you can only choose one is a reasonable stance. It will take years to know for sure, but some have been predicting the end of the traditional center in the NBA for a decade. Perhaps that's finally coming to pass.

any player who signed a max 4 or 5 year deal this season is a sweet deal for the owners and those guys are underpaid for the majority length of their contract.

Tristan had a solid season. an impressive postseason that really bodes well for his future.

some people are worried if Tristan signs for big money the team will lose mozgov

some people would like to see Thompson traded for other potential assets because we have Love

some people are worried that av will be traded for tax purposes.

some people think Thompson is redundant so therefore expendable.

personally I think Mozgov is expendable long term and there a cheaper option already on the roster.

I also look over at the West and See OKC, Golden State, Clippers, the rejuvenated Spurs and Houston.
Those Matchups outside of Houston are alot harder without Thompson over the next 5 years.

There also some budding teams in the east where a quality small ball lineup who can play fast on both ends of the court will be needed.

I was fine either way with the Cavs either making a higher offer for tristan or letting him sign the QO.

One way or another the Cavs are gonna Cave. either by signing Thompson to a one year contract and risk losing him next season or upping their offer for a 5 year deal or the least likely scenario Portland coming in to save the day with a two year offer the Cavs can Match.

I didnt think it was unrealistic for TT to sign the qo and make more than 80 million of the next five season going that route.

Im not begrudging the Cavs for not forking over the money. nor does it bother me that TT held out. its his life his contract.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I'm ok with 5/80- we are in Cleveland and historically we need to overpay. However, if he walks, I'm ok with that too.
I'm not fine with Moz leaving, I believe him to be a more important piece.
You have to factor in K Love and KI when discussing small ball vs GS or other teams when using that topic in reference to TT. The Cavs were missing that last year.

I frankly have never been a big fan of TT's game since the minute he was drafted, but he at least seemed like a high character guy beyond basketball ability.

That he has allowed himself to get caught up in this has been quite disappointing.

With this looking like the year it might finally happen for this city this whole fiasco is just an un-needed side show and it is terribly unfortunate.

So by turning down 4 separate contract offers to play for the Cavs somehow exhibits he wants to play for the Cavs? Seems legit lol sound logic there.

You don't understand. By not signing the QO he has essentially locked him into a deal with the cavs. They can match any deal he gets now or next summer he will still be a restricted free agent.

If he didn't want to play with the cavs he had 2 options.

1. Sign the QO and be a free agent next summer.

2. Get a contract with a team the cavs would not match

3. Sign and trade TT

The 2nd one is not happening because the cavs will match any offer. And since the QO passed he is locked in for at least 2 years. The only other option is a sign and trade which is hard to imagine happening.

So if he didn't want to play for cavs hisn only shot is essentially gone. And so is his leverage

You don't understand. By not signing the QO he has essentially locked him into a deal with the cavs. They can match any deal he gets now or next summer he will still be a restricted free agent.

If he didn't want to play with the cavs he had 2 options.

1. Sign the QO and be a free agent next summer.

2. Get a contract with a team the cavs would not match

3. Sign and trade TT

The 2nd one is not happening because the cavs will match any offer. And since the QO passed he is locked in for at least 2 years. The only other option is a sign and trade which is hard to imagine happening.

So if he didn't want to play for cavs hisn only shot is essentially gone. And so is his leverage

Can the Cavs match a max offer once their Bird exception begins being prorated on January 10th?

You don't understand. By not signing the QO he has essentially locked him into a deal with the cavs.

That's not necessarily true.

He doesn't have to sign a multi-year deal. He can still sign a one year deal as a compromise, and be a free agent next year, if both parties decide they want him this year but can't come to an agreement on a long-term deal.

That's not necessarily true.

He doesn't have to sign a multi-year deal. He can still sign a one year deal as a compromise, and be a free agent next year, if both parties decide they want him this year but can't come to an agreement on a long-term deal.

There is no reason for the Cavs to do this. They want him locked up for 5 years.

There is no reason for the Cavs to do this. They want him locked up for 5 years.

Yes, there is a reason for the Cavs to do that - if they can't come to an agreement on a five year contract, but both sides decide they want TT to play this year.

It's not the Cavs preferred scenario, but it may be the one they choose if the alternative is a long term holdout and a completely ruined relationship. And if they get TT to play this season for 8 million or so, Dan saves huge amounts in luxury tax versus what he'd be paying on a long term deal.

It's the kind of face-saving move that lets both sides claim victory of a sort.

ETA: the question isn't whether the Cavs would actually do that. The question is whether Paul and TT think the Cavs would do it. And if they think the Cavs might still sign a one year deal, then we can't assume that TT not signing the QO means he wants to be here long-term.

Last edited:
Hasn't everyone tired of this situation? Can't wait for the season to start. TT can GTFO- I'm over it.
This. My biggest hope is we start off really strong. I won't panic if we don't, hell I even think it is more likely we start off like last year, but it will let us put TT behind us. Then, if he wants along for the ride, he can sign. If not, screw him. I really like TT, and like to think of myself as one of his biggest supporters. The way I empirically watch basketball leads to me liking what he brings a lot more than some posters here. But I'm just done with this immaturity. I hope our team starts off strong enough that we, as a team and a fanbase, can completely move-on.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."