• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Rate the last movie you saw

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Tomorrowland 7/10

Its a brilliantly ambitious movie that just doesn't quite deliver. Visually the movie is about a 60s aestic vision of the future and its masterfully detailed.

The main focus of the film is one of hope and the power of belief and i think its deeper than people expect and caught people off guard. Its the kind of film you want kids watching to inspire them to be more than they think they can be. Like the goonies did, but not as good obviously

Let's not kid ourselves here....

latest

Not fair!!! Joker doesnt wear a bra !!!

Sicario - 7/10

The movie was shot really well. I really loved how they showed the open spaces in Arizona and how much of empty spaces were there along with the dryness and the heat. Del Torro and Brolin were amazing and Blunt was capable. The movie starts of with amazing intensity, Then lays a good groundwork, And then slows down a bit. The ending leaves a bit to be desired, It felt .... too easy.

Oh and did I say it is pretty brutal ? It feels like getting a glimpse into what the druggie side of things can be. People who enjoyed Narcos will really love it.

The Martian - 6/10

I went in with expectation and came back thoroughly disappointed. Is this a serious Sci-Fi movie or a feel good cutesy space movie ? The visuals were good and it had a great cast but it did not feel like a serious movie that can be compared with the Tom Hanks one Cast Away! You just cant empathize with the main character or worry about him.

Matt Damon is marooned in Mars for over a year and has to figure out a way to make a proper habitat , then make his way to the next Ares Launch site to leave Mars all whole being alone and also trying to figure out a way to contact Earth. These are serious problems and issues that can make any viewer feel worried about our protagonist. But at no point in the movie are we worried, Matt Damon is as happy and comfortable as a human living in a trailer in the wilderness. And Dont get me started on the Iron Man routine he pulled in the end. To conclude, this is the sort of movies you take your kids too, to get them excited about space programs and get them interested in studies. Skyline felt more intense than this (Yes that Skyline, where we did not know or care for the main characters.)

Everest - 8.5/10

I did not expect that this will land up being my favorite among the 3 movies (this, Sicario, MArtian). Keep in mind that this movie is long and does drag in a few places, But I really love the way it was shot. If you have fear of height then watching it in large screen will make you mildly uncomfortable, but the way the things (Cold, Snowstorm, The mountain climb, Lack of Oxygen) were shown was just awesome. The cast is amazing (Jason Clarke, Jake Gyllenhal, Sam Worthington, Josh Brolin etc) did a very convincing and realistic job of being the characters assigned to them. Also, another thing that I like was how there was just enough emotion in the movie and did not brood into feelings and emotions for too long. This helps because this helps the movie feel more like a proper story related narration than an emotional tearjerker (Can you jerk tears ? And if yes then what will come out ? ) embedded in an adventure movie. This is a movie in a few ways like gravity where watching it in a large screen will make you appreciate it more.

99 Homes: 7.0/10.

Ok film that tries too hard to create straw-man villainy when it isn't necessary considering the how fucked up the sub-prime mortgage crisis really was/is. Michael Shannon is serviceable as what should be a mustache twirling capitalist pig whilst Garfield does well playing a frazzled, desperate single father.

This film does an excellent job of portraying the human cost of the unbridled greed of banks who knowingly sought to destroy people's lives through variable-rate mortgages. The film is at its best when acting as a voyeur to innumerable personal tragedies and showing honest, hard-working families made hopeless and defenseless by a system designed to enrich a select few at the expense of everyone else. Moreover, it clearly shows the real villains of the whole situation, the lawmakers who enabled those banks and have rigged the system against normal Americans, exactly as they are: Deceitful whores who would (have) throw the nation under the bus for a taste of power. It makes one want to break out the torches and pitchforks and ready the National Mall for a prolonged performance by Monsieur Guillotine's razor (gleefully operated by @gourimoko). As the proceedings progress, one realizes that Shannon isn't the real bad guy but merely someone looking to earn a living by being a flexible (and actually very hardworking) operator in an environment of chaos fostered by a broken system created by the fool's gold of deregulation, a dearth of ethics and lack of accountability for lawmakers who clearly valued campaign contributions over serving their purpose as advocates of the people who elected them.

On the debit side, some of the hard choices Garfield faces are cliche and easily avoidable by any number of simple solutions. Without really going into details, suffice to say that the factors that drove him to make the decisions that forced the climax of the film were contrived and predicated on completely irrational and unrealistic reactions by his family.

Worth a look on Netflix when it comes out, or a matinee if you want a reminder that you and your family mean nothing to the people you vote into office.

The Martian - 6/10

I went in with expectation and came back thoroughly disappointed. Is this a serious Sci-Fi movie or a feel good cutesy space movie ? The visuals were good and it had a great cast but it did not feel like a serious movie that can be compared with the Tom Hanks one Cast Away! You just cant empathize with the main character or worry about him.

Matt Damon is marooned in Mars for over a year and has to figure out a way to make a proper habitat , then make his way to the next Ares Launch site to leave Mars all whole being alone and also trying to figure out a way to contact Earth. These are serious problems and issues that can make any viewer feel worried about our protagonist. But at no point in the movie are we worried, Matt Damon is as happy and comfortable as a human living in a trailer in the wilderness. And Dont get me started on the Iron Man routine he pulled in the end. To conclude, this is the sort of movies you take your kids too, to get them excited about space programs and get them interested in studies. Skyline felt more intense than this (Yes that Skyline, where we did not know or care for the main characters.)

Gotta agree with a lot of this begrudgingly. I mean, you're right, you really never felt that Damon was literally at the end of his rope - because he really never was.

This movie was too much like Robin Crusoe on Mars. I still liked it, thought it was well done. But it could have been better.

Bridge of Spies: 9.0/10.0

Managed to take in an advanced screening Tuesday (it is good to be King) of this excellent film. Film is well placed and beautifully shot.

Hanks is great as Donovan and Mark Rylance is very endearing as the titular spy, "Rudolf Abel." History buffs will appreciate the dynamics between the East Germans and Soviets as well as the hysteria of the American public over anything related to the Soviets.

Some effort is made in demonstrating why Americans are not quite better than the Soviets in this period with regard impartial justice and allowing ideology and politics to trump the rule of law. Throughout the film, Hanks battles for the soul of America and largely wins though the point is made that we will stoop to the same behavior as the Russians when it makes things more convenient. It is a point that should be kept in mind today as to what makes one nation morally superior to others.

Probably not what everyone is looking for, but I watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and yes, I got a little misty than usual when Spock died.

View: https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/654701938777305088

There were rumors going around this morning that FOX had traded the movie rights to FF for the TV rights to X-men and an FF movie was scheduled for 2020, but apparently that's not the case as FOX says they still have FF and have had the X-men TV rights for awhile.

Kinda sad this proved to be false as I was pretty interested to see if Marvel could actually resurrect FF.

Probably not what everyone is looking for, but I watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and yes, I got a little misty than usual when Spock died.

Question
I assume you also saw the newer Star Trek with Chris Pine.
Who do you think was the better Khan ? Benedict Cumberbatch or Ricardo Montalban ?

Question
I assume you also saw the newer Star Trek with Chris Pine.
Who do you think was the better Khan ? Benedict Cumberbatch or Ricardo Montalban ?

I try to pretend Into Darkness never happened.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."