• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 Buckeyes Football

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Just no heart, no hunger. Ready to move on from this group of players, but I will always look back on that title run as my greatest sports memory to date. Nothing comes close except maybe Lebrons return.

Skullfucking Michigan in their own house on Saturday would make me forgive at least in part the embarrassing effort against MSU. Not sure who Im picking. Everyone thinks the wheels have come off and they will lie down and die.

Meyer really gonna let that happen?

The loss on Saturday was one of the worst, if not THE worst, Buckeye games I've seen since I started watching football in 2001.
This is the part I don't get.

In 2007 OSU was #1 and undefeated and gave up 400 yards to a Ron Zook/Juice Williams Illinois team on Senior Day, and that defense had Cam Heyward, James Lauriniatis and Malcolm Jenkins on it.

There was the 13-6 loss to PSU in 2008 with Beanie Wells and Terrelle Pryor, and PSU lost their ALL B1G QB during the game.

There was the 2006 BCS Title loss to Florida

There was the 2009 loss to a 2-4 Purdue team.

There was the entire 2011 season.

There was the 14 pt loss to Virginia Tech last year.

There is seemingly one of these a year over the last decade.

On an unrelated note, I think I have to swear off OSU message boards, other than this one. Good god, the craziness after that loss.

OSU is 48-4 under Meyer, yet you'd think OSU fans are the most cursed in sports. WE LOST ONE GAME...GET OVER IT.
Some posts on BuckeyePlanet and the Scout pay board are embarrassing right now. The extent to which people draw conclusions is ridiculous.

I think loss of Corey Smith hurt a lot more than most realize. While he had his struggles with consistency on the field, he was seemingly always open. His route running as a pure receiver was the best on the team after Michael Thomas.

The current roster construction with Curtis Samuel and Marshall is so scary similar to UF when they tried to spread the field out with Chris Rainey, Jeff Demos, Deonte Thompson and Andre Debose. I think it's a huge struggle for any quarterback to have 1 true/pure WR and then a litany of hybrid playmakers. Marshall has developed nicely but he's far from a field stretcher deep threat like Devin Smith was. Braxton is explosive but raw as hell. Curtis Samuel is developing well but shouldn't be seen as a primary deep threat or pure WR.

I think Corey was supposed to be that pure #2 receiver and he had a lot more ability than what he had shown to date, but his broken leg obviously derailed what was supposed to be his breakout season.

I'm still really bummed they didn't incorporate Vannett more into game plans either. Talking to people around the program, they thought he was the best pass catching TE in a long time, even better than Heureman (just in terms of route running and hands). For some reason they really went away from the TE seam routes they've exploited the last 3-4 years. We seemed to hit 1-2 TE Seam routes a game with a healthy Heureman and Vannett the previous 2-3 years and it's just disappeared.

Listening to Urban yesterday, I will be surprised if Beck survives the off-season. At a minimum I see some type of demotion with another bright offensive mind joining the staff. This year has been pretty pathetic from a strategic POV.

Last edited:
I think loss of Corey Smith hurt a lot more than most realize. While he had his struggles with consistency on the field, he was seemingly always open. His route running as a pure receiver was the best on the team after Michael Thomas.

The current roster construction with Curtis Samuel and Marshall is so scary similar to UF when they tried to spread the field out with Chris Rainey, Jeff Demos, Deonte Thompson and Andre Debose. I think it's a huge struggle for any quarterback to have 1 true/pure WR and then a litany of hybrid playmakers. Marshall has developed nicely but he's far from a field stretcher deep threat like Devin Smith was. Braxton is explosive but raw as hell. Curtis Samuel is developing well but shouldn't be seen as a primary deep threat or pure WR.

I think Corey was supposed to be that pure #2 receiver and he had a lot more ability than what he had shown to date, but his broken leg obviously derailed what was supposed to be his breakout season.

I'm still really bummed they didn't incorporate Vannett more into game plans either. Talking to people around the program, they thought he was the best pass catching TE in a long time, even better than Heureman (just in terms of route running and hands). For some reason they really went away from the TE seam routes they've exploited the last 3-4 years. We seemed to hit 1-2 TE Seam routes a game with a healthy Heureman and Vannett the previous 2-3 years and it's just disappeared.

Listening to Urban yesterday, I will be surprised if Beck survives the off-season. At a minimum I see some type of demotion with another bright offensive mind joining the staff. This year has been pretty pathetic from a strategic POV.

Agree completely with this post and have been saying it all year... many of the Buckeyes offensive struggles have to do with the lack of pure WRs, not just catching the ball, but blocking and knowing the little nuisances of the position. Lost Devin Smith and Evan Spencer to graduation who excelled in different areas. Smith as a deep threat and Spencer as a possession WR/blocker. Lost Noah Brown (who I think was going to play an even bigger role than Corey Smith) a week before the season. Had Marshall, Smith, and Wilson suspended for the opener, which didn't matter for that game itself, but it was a distraction overall. Lost Corey Smith in the B1G opener. Dontre Wilson, Parris Campbell, and Johnnie Dixon have all been battling injuries all year and have barely seen the field as a result.

So, you have converted QBs and RBs out there as WRs who are still learning the position. Throw in the QB controversy and regression of the offensive line which has forced to keep Vannett back as a blocker more than anyone would prefer, and no wonder this offense has looked rough minus Zeke.

This is the part I don't get.

In 2007 OSU was #1 and undefeated and gave up 400 yards to a Ron Zook/Juice Williams Illinois team on Senior Day, and that defense had Cam Heyward, James Lauriniatis and Malcolm Jenkins on it.

There was the 13-6 loss to PSU in 2008 with Beanie Wells and Terrelle Pryor, and PSU lost their ALL B1G QB during the game.

There was the 2006 BCS Title loss to Florida

There was the 2009 loss to a 2-4 Purdue team.

There was the entire 2011 season.

There was the 14 pt loss to Virginia Tech last year.

There is seemingly one of these a year over the last decade.

I said one of the worst, if not the worst, and yes any of those games you mentioned you can make an argument for. I remember each one and where I was at, and maybe it's a recency bias, but what stands out more is how inept the Buckeyes looked. 5 first downs (5!!!!!), dominated in the trenches and time of possession, inept and conservative play calling, and MSU playing backup QBs. I guess the difference between those teams that lost some bad games versus this one is the expectation level this year and with this team versus some of those other years. It's a subjective argument.

8 is a fine spot...Sparty loses to PSU and we're right back in it.

Can't believe they only dropped us to 8 to be honest.

8 is a fine spot...Sparty loses to PSU and we're right back in it.

Yep, gotta take care of our own business first though. I don't have much faith in Penn State, with or without Connor Cook playing. Michigan State dominated our o-line, and it's 10x better than Penn State's, which may be one of the worst of any Power 5 program in the country.

At this point, I'll be very satisfied with a win over TTUN and a New Year's Six Bowl.

Can't believe they only dropped us to 8 to be honest.

Why? We only have 1 loss and it was to a good Michigan State team. Stanford and Michigan are 9 and 10, and both have 2 losses. I'd be pissed if a 2 loss team was ranked ahead of us. After that, you have teams like Florida, Oklahoma St, UNC, Navy who are much less impressive one loss teams. I would even say we could be ahead of Baylor at 7, but really it doesn't matter because we wont be in the playoff unless we beat TTUN and get help from PSU (and then beat Iowa).

Why is Alabama so high?

Mirror Lake Jump is done with. RIP to the passed kid.

Espn replaying the Zeke E60...kinda odd timing. But seeing these highlights, my god. Even the run plays were just so much more dynamic last year...

Absolutely need:

Florida over Bama
and/or
UNC over Clemson

Would also be nice for our cause:

MSU over Iowa
USC over Stanford
NIU over BGSU

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."