• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

JR Smith

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Really? Seems to me like everyone loves the guy. I sure do. I was horrified when we traded for him and now he's one of my all time favorite dudes.

Unfortunately, certain individuals on this board that will go unnamed [but SHAME ON YOU NONETHELESS] wanted to replace J.R. with Jamal Crawford last offseason.

Reactions: mds
Unfortunately, certain individuals on this board that will go unnamed [but SHAME ON YOU NONETHELESS] wanted to replace J.R. with Jamal Crawford last offseason.

I really doubt anyone wanted that.

It was more of they would rather have Jamal than pay 10+ Million for JR.

I knew that JR would find his groove offensively, but he was really good and effective on D last night. He works really hard on the floor and I love it. That's why coach loves him so much. Blatt said in the past that if you're doing good D and hustling, you can be free to play your style on offense. That relates to Blatt telling JR to not stop shooting even if his shot is not falling. As long as he defends on a high level and fights hard, his shooting groove will eventually come.

I knew that JR would find his groove offensively, but he was really good and effective on D last night. He works really hard on the floor and I love it. That's why coach loves him so much. Blatt said in the past that if you're doing good D and hustling, you can be free to play your style on offense. That relates to Blatt telling JR to not stop shooting even if his shot is not falling. As long as he defends on a high level and fights hard, his shooting groove will eventually come.
Same thing applies to Kevin Love as well. He happens to be a MUCH better defender when his shot is falling...

But seriously, how great is it that we're finally clicking, playing both ends of the floor (minus some stretches and lineups), look great against most teams and still have 4 key guys out...

Take away the second (Kyrie), fourth (Mozgov in terms of importance but can be moved to fifth or sixth depending on where you place TT and Delly), sixth (Shumpert) and eight (Mo) best guy on any other team and they would have a horrible record.

Get rid of Green (second), Igoudala though you could argue Thompson (fourth), Bogut (sixth) and Livingston and where are the Warriors? Yes, they have Curry but one man can't carry a team. We have seen this too many times. We did get lucky with part of our schedule, but destroying Atlanta like we did and taking it to Orlando without a true center against one of the better ones in the East isn't a small thing to do.

Now I just hope everyone can get healthy so we prove to the NBA that our team is better than theirs when healthy. Heck, if we play Golden State in the finals this year, I'm considering it the Cavs playing for two championships.

I think the team might have to make a decision this offseason of JR vs Delly.

I know on the surface it seems weird, but i think Delly gets a decent pay in crease and with Mo as our backup pg when Kyrie and Shump get healthy, JR becomes a luxury we just cant afford.

He has been great with the injuries, but if we are 100% healthy, he might not get allot of minutes. Not sure who he plays instead of, Kyrie, shump, Mo and Delly all appear ahead of him in the rotation and can only see him maybe cutting into Mo's minutes.

I know on the surface it seems weird, but i think Delly gets a decent pay in crease and with Mo as our backup pg when Kyrie and Shump get healthy, JR becomes a luxury we just cant afford.

He has been great with the injuries, but if we are 100% healthy, he might not get allot of minutes. Not sure who he plays instead of, Kyrie, shump, Mo and Delly all appear ahead of him in the rotation and can only see him maybe cutting into Mo's minutes.
I've wondered about JR's future with the team as well. I wonder how it would play out given that JR has a player option for next season?

I disagree, honestly.

If we don't win the title and he ends up ot being that good, he hill opt-in and then have a contract year knowing he's playing next to LeBron and will be able to garner the most money possible with an estimated 108 million dollar salary cap that summer.

If we DO win the title, and he plays well, or if he just plays really well in general the rest of the year+playoffs, I could see him opting out...but..

I don't see Gilbert letting him go barring some ridiculous offer from another team, and I really don't see many,if any, teams that will be lining up to give J.R. a raise that would make it worth leaving Cleveland. Especially if we win the title, I think Dan makes sure we bring that team back. If anyone of those guys would be the odd-man out mintues wise, it would be Mo just because of how Dellavedova has developed into such a magnificent back-up PG, and Mo is a basically just bench insurance if Kyrie goes down and we need someone to hit some shots like we desperately needed in the finals last year, and also as an offensive spark off the bench, while J.R. is so much more. His athleticism and size and ability to defend(when he's locked in) is just too invaluable. He was arguably better than Shumpert for a majority of last year and we also see him this year, after getting a few games off, start to just toss up big shooting nights and quality performances left and right.

I also think J.R. has incentive to stay, I think he really likes playing here, and I think he makes a some sacrifice to be able to play next to LBJ. I think J.R. would love to finish his career and play our the rest of his prime being a key role player on a winner. To be known as a champion, as a competitor, not a knucklehead loser.

Not to mention, last year Andy essentially becomes an expiring deal, as he is guaranteed a little less than 10 million and then the following year, isn't guaranteed anything. That's where you can expect the Cavs to cut him, and along with the rising cap, we'll be able to cover the rising costs of keeping J.R, and keeping Delly, both of whom I think we need to make a point to keep. Mo is a nice piece, but more expendable than both. Not next year, but after that, we will get nice relief from getting Andy off the books(and depending on his game at the point, maybe re-sign him to a minimum deal)

I just don't think the Gilbert will break off a core piece, especially if we win a title, just to save some money and I think he's proven that he will spend.

In the next two years, Love and Irving will actually look underpaid relative to what all-star level players getting new contracts end up getting paid in the next 2,3 and 4 years/

I really don't think JR has any desire to play anywhere else at this point. You can tell by the way the team and organization interacts with him, they love him, and he loves them/us back. I'm happy for him, really. He pissed me off at times in the playoffs/finals, but I love the guy. Hope he finishes his career here.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."