• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Johnny Manziel: Swan Won't Return His Calls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Let's not forget about the domestic incident in which he admitted to day drinking or the photos that came out after the weekend of the Thursday night game where he threw a party in College Station....

The people who are giving this kid a free pass are clueless. Manziel will never be able to be relied upon. Never. He's a wannabe celebrity, not an NFL QB.
Clueless? or dont give a shit.

I really dont care what Manzieis does in his off time.

and to Jack I definately dont think going to a bar with no incidents is getting oneself in trouble.

Its just another example of the social media age imposing its puritan idealism on american entertainment.

and to Jack I definately dont think going to a bar with no incidents is getting oneself in trouble.

Its just another example of the social media age imposing its puritan idealism on american entertainment.

So many times, this.

Why is it so hard to understand that an NFL QB can't be just another 22 year old or just another NFL player?

The position of QB in the NFL is the hardest job in sports and that is including jobs in coaching and the front office. Having the physical skills is no where near enough. You have to have the mentality, the discipline and the intelligence to do it at a high level. That is why so many guys fail, they can throw a ball through a brick wall or run incredibly fast but they don't have the softer side of it, the intangibles.

Troy Smith was on Baskin and Phelps yesterday and was asked if Johnny can be a successful QB living in essence a double life; John Manziel on the field and Johnny Football off. His response was it is impossible. No one can do it and sustain it.

When you're the starting quarterback of an NFL team, you are the inherent leader of the team. You are expected to lead by example and conduct yourself as a professional. You are held to the highest standard. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. But that's life.

You have a FOUR month season. Leaving 8 months out of the year to go get fucked up every which way. But for those 4 months, you better be locked into your job with laser focus.

It's clear where his priorities lie and that's the most concerning part.

I'm amazed at how many Johnny supporters there are after all this.

Johnny wasn't benched just because he was out partying. He was benched because he told the Browns when they drafted him that he was done being "Johnny Football"... he's been on TMZ a dozen times since looking like a total jackass (swan, money video, drinks dumped on him, etc.) flipped a team off on camera, entered rehab for alcohol/more, kept drinking after rehab, got into a domestic dispute with the same party girl he dated before rehab, used last week's down time to go to A&M and get wasted... and after ALL that, Pettine gave him the job anyway and specifically met with him telling him "Hey, congrats. Now don't screw this up." Johnny says he won't be an embarrassment over the bye... then immediately flies out to Austin and gets wasted.

Dude had a super long leash and did nothing with it but see how far he could stretch it. He deserves what he got today and the sooner we move on, the better.
If social media wasn't the way it is today literally all that is irrelevant, Mike Pettine just found any excuse to bench him.

If you're a Browns fan how the hell can you be happy about this? We could of used these next 6 games as a real evaluation period but instead we're gonna piss it away by watching a 36 year old QB play in meaningless games.

The Johnny era was fucked before it even started, FO has never shown a single sign of real commitment to a first round pick they invested in and it's pretty much the same case for every QB that's drafted here. What a fucking travesty.

Last edited:
People have consistently killed other teams all around the NFL for not disciplining players and letting them run roughshod over this or that.

Manziel exhibits a pattern of being a flat out asshole with no respect for his position, his teammates or the staff. He's suspended....people are pissed because they didn't let him get away with it like others do.

America.

A coworker messaged me on our work instant messenger account 'the Browns can ruin anyone if they can even ruin Johnny Football.'

I can't wait until Johnny is a Cowboy.

Just like how the Browns were 'the joke of the NFL' for trading Trent Richardson, the casual fan will see this as the Browns being stupid.

Turns out, sometimes the Browns do smart things. Even if it is just salvaging the stupid things they have done in the first place.

Last edited:
If social media wasn't the way it is today literally all that is irrelevant, Mike Pettine just found any excuse to bench him.

If you're a Browns fan how the hell can you be happy about this? We could of used these next 6 games as a real evaluation period but instead we're gonna piss it away by watching a 36 year old QB play in meaningless games.

The Johnny era was fucked before it even started, FO has never shown a single sign of real commitment to a first round pick they invested in and it's pretty much the same case for every QB that's drafted here. What a fucking travesty.

Social media IS the way it is today. The proof of that is 19 out of 26 questions to the coach on Monday morning are about the starting QB's weekend exploits. Mike Pettine gifted Johnny the job after Johnny's girlfriend said he beat her. He could have ABSOLUTELY used that "excuse" as a reason to bench him, but he didn't.

Johnny lied and has continued to lie. It's about a team, not a player. If it's about a player for you, then go follow Johnny.

The Front Office has said time and time again to this kid to get his shit straight and stay out of headlines. You don't see other QBs in the media, so don't blame the media. Johnny needs to put his face into a goddamn playbook and away from a bottle and camera. This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

If you can read this article and still come out blaming everyone except Johnny, I don't know what to tell you. This sucks, but it's because Johnny blew it. Not because Mike Pettine "doesn't like" him. Not because any other manufactured slight you say the organization has against him. The same organization who valued him higher than 31 other NFL teams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-b...ny-manziel-timeline-with-the-cleveland-browns

I feel like a lot of people have forgotten one important factor in all of this:

On the field, Manziel hasn't shown himself to be a starter. Against Cincinnati he threw one long pass off a broken play, everything else was short passes against a prevent defense, totalling one touchdown. He has led the Browns on a total of four sustained drives ending in points in his career. Manziel has been a turnover machine. He is tied for 10th in the NFL in fumbles, despite playing in less than a quarter of the games.

Aldon Smith gets extra chances because he is extremely productive as a pass rusher. Maybe that isn't fair, but that is how the NFL works today. Manziel is creating Aldon Smith negative press and distractions while playing at a backup level.

In the NFL, that is a recipe for unemployment.

Aldon Smith gets extra chances because he is extremely productive as a pass rusher. Maybe that isn't fair, but that is how the NFL works today. Manziel is creating Aldon Smith negative press and distractions while playing at a backup level.

That's the way it works in every sport. When Sparky Anderson managed the Reds he openly let his "big four" of Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez and Joe Morgan get away with things other guys couldn't. He would say straight-up, "You want to be treated like those guys? Perform like them."

Fair or not, that's the way it is.

Compiling a list Manziel's off-the-field transgressions in his time here. In some cases, the errors carried over to the field. Seeing some of the things players have said off the record, I think it carried over to the locker room to an even greater degree.

Probably getting some of the details wrong here, and I am certain I am forgetting other things.

2014 Season

2015 season
  • Attended substance abuse rehab for 10 weeks. Maybe he's turning the corner!
  • Resumed drinking shortly after getting out of rehab, as people on this board reported.
  • Involved in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend. He admitted to drinking, but was not administered a breathalyzer test. There was some physical altercation with his girlfriend, although no charges were filed.
  • Played well against the Steelers (his first start in which he completed more than 55 percent of his passes, and the first in which he passed for more than 200 yards). Named the starter for the rest of the season. Pettine told him not to embarrass the team or be a distraction.
  • During the bye week, he gets drunk and ends up on TMZ.
I really do not understand why people want to give him so much rope. He has shown nothing -- on the field or off it -- to warrant getting repeated chances.

Any takers on which RCF member called in?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."