• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Fastlane Tonight - in Cleveland!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
This Reigns/Rusev match basically sums up what sucks about the WWE. It's a fine match in its own right, but it doesn't even remotely fit the narrative. Roman Reigns was just screwed out of his title last night. He's pissed. He made a bunch of threats in the ring to start the show. He stared down his boss.

So what does he do? Well, he comes out and he wrestles this match just like he wrestles every other match. No added intensity. No pure ass kicking. Just a paint by numbers Roman Reigns match.

The finale tonight should not have been a match. It should have been Roman Reigns destroying someone. It should have been Reigns relentlessly beating whoever his opponent was and anyone else who tried to get in his way.

Instead, we get a perfectly normal match like nothing of importance happened last night.

This Reigns/Rusev match basically sums up what sucks about the WWE. It's a fine match in its own right, but it doesn't even remotely fit the narrative. Roman Reigns was just screwed out of his title last night. He's pissed. He made a bunch of threats in the ring to start the show. He stared down his boss.

So what does he do? Well, he comes out and he wrestles this match just like he wrestles every other match. No added intensity. No pure ass kicking. Just a paint by numbers Roman Reigns match.

The finale tonight should not have been a match. It should have been Roman Reigns destroying someone. It should have been Reigns relentlessly beating whoever his opponent was and anyone else who tried to get in his way.

Instead, we get a perfectly normal match like nothing of importance happened last night.
Well give Rusev some respect. Roman wasn't gonna dominate Rusev and I think this match fits the narrative that Roman won't have it easy since he speared HHH. I saw nothing wrong with that match or how close it was

Well give Rusev some respect. Roman wasn't gonna dominate Rusev and I think this match fits the narrative that Roman won't have it easy since he speared HHH. I saw nothing wrong with that match or how close it was

My basic point is this. Think of any megastar from the past twenty years in the WWE and what they would have done the night after getting screwed out of a title.

Would Steve Austin have simply accepted his fate and did a mere stare down with the boss that screwed him over? Hell no! He would have beaten Triple H's ass, and it would have taken five refs to pull him off.

Would Brock Lesnar have been okay with getting screwed over? No. Hell, we saw what happened when Brock got his title stolen from him less than a year ago. He went on a rampage and ended up suspended.

What would the Rock have done? I'm betting he would have checked Triple H, Sheamus, and anyone else in the ring into the Smackdown Hotel.

The Undertaker? Pretty sure he'd have handed out some chokeslams and tombstones.

Triple H? Someone would get their ass beat with a sledgehammer.

Hell, even John Cena wouldn't have taken that treatment the way Reigns did. We saw what John Cena did the night after getting screwed over by Jon Stewart. He hit Jon Stewart (who, mind you, is an incredibly popular celebrity) with a fucking AA to pay him back.

The bottom line is that Reigns should have gone into the ring tonight and cleaned house, and he shouldn't have let anyone get in his way. That's what every other badass in WWE history would have done, and it's what Roman Reigns should have done instead of a weak stare down (where Triple H had to tell him to move closer) and a perfectly normal match (at least until Barrett got involved).

How much harder would the crowd have popped for Reigns tonight if he had beat the crap out of Triple H and Sheamus instead of exchanging words and glares? That's the kind of action that makes guys into stars.

Emotion is one of the things that fuels great wrestling stories. We remember Austin primarily for his feud with Vince McMahon because that pulled emotion out of us. We hated McMahon, and we loved Austin for going to war with him. If Reigns isn't going to show any emotion other than crying after losing the title, we're not going to develop any sort of real attachment with him. What inspires fans to love you is fire.

And as far as Rusev goes, plenty of good mid-card guys have been sacrificed the night after a star got jilted. It's the way things work sometimes. No one would have thought Rusev weak because he had to meet Reigns on the wrong night, just like no one remembers all the people that Austin stunned randomly when he was pissed off.

I've never been a fan of Foley or his work, but his opinion of WWE is something I always hold high. Pretty interesting post from his Facebook today.

"GETTING CLOSE

I'm going to quote an article from July, 2014, called "The Sad Case Of Zack Ryder" in which I wrote: "Eventually, people get tired of finding out that the WWE Superstars they have supported with their cheers, their signs, their purchases, their follows, and their likes aren't real Superstars - and, little by little, those fans lose interest in WWE, find other interests, and become former WWE fans."
I am one of those people on the verge of becoming a former WWE fan. I'm tired of being told through Raw, Smackdown and PPV's that WWE superstars I have rooted for - from Ziggler to Cesaro to Kevin Owens aren't top stars - no matter how strongly crowd reaction seems to disagree. I'm tired of NXT stars getting their big "break" in WWE, just to be treated like jokes.
Six months ago, my son and I traveled 12 hours – from Eastern Tennessee to Orlando, Florida to watch Sasha Banks wrestle Becky Lynch at‪#‎NXTTakeover‬.- One of the greatest women's matches of all time. Last night, in what I believe was their first singles match on ‪#‎RAW‬ Sasha and Becky were given four minutes. At a time when WWE desperately needs to make new stars – when they need to give wrestlers with talent the opportunity to break through – they gave Sasha and Becky four minutes. I turned the channel, and watched a pretty good football game instead. I think I can get used to watching football games on Monday night again.
I will be watching RAW this Monday. Maybe, as is often the case in relationships, they will give me just enough to remind me why I love wrestling - just enough to keep me coming back. Maybe they will even give Sasha and Becky a rematch – and a legitimate chance to show the world what they can do. .
There is an old saying in politics : as Ohio goes, so goes the nation. Think of me as the Ohio of wrestling fans. If I leave, it's not just one disgruntled former fan; finding something else to do on Monday nights. Instead, my leaving might well be an indication of a larger exodus from WWE.
I want to stay. I really do. So please WWE - next week on WWE Raw... Just give me a reason.
Let me know what YOU think."

Yeah, that Sasha/Becky match could have been so much more, but at this point I just expect the WWE to give zero fucks about women's wrestling. It's clear they're not interested in telling compelling stories involving women, even after the so-called revolution. And that revolution is obviously on indefinite hold until Vince either dies or steps down and lets Hunter and Steph take over. They're the ones that are actually pushing it, after all.

Another indication of how little Raw cares about our opinions was that Ambrose/Ziggler versus Owens/Breeze match, as I believe I mentioned above. Four of the best workers (and three of the most over performers) on the roster and you give them about five minutes in the slot right before the main event. That's just fucking embarrassing. That match could have and should have gone twenty minutes and showcased all four guys.

I know Ambrose and Owens are about to feud, but can anyone tell me why? It just seems so lazy, like both of them need something to do and are the only upper-mid card guys left after all the injuries, so why not have them fight each other! I don't really see a compelling reason for the feud, though. Ambrose was giving Owens dirty looks after the match last night, but again, why? Owens is a dick, but he hasn't really done anything personal to Ambrose. He hasn't cheated against him. He hasn't beaten him. In fact, Ambrose had just beat Owens clean the night before! Why does Ambrose hate Owens other than the fact that Owens is a heel and Ambrose is a face?

They should have had Owens attack Ambrose after he lost on Sunday night. For one, that would have been a better explanation for why Ambrose only lasted ten minutes in the main event. Second, it would have given Ambrose a compelling reason to want to take Owens down and strip him of his Intercontinental title.

But this is the WWE, where guys feud just because.

Another thing I hate about WWE, while we are airing grievances, is I hate how they have so many commercial breaks during matches. They had TWO during the preshow match on a fucking PPV we pay $9.99 for. Obviously we know who's fighting in the main event if we are paying for WWE Network to watch a PPV.

But even on Raw and Smackdown it's gotten to a point where the majority of matches have commercial breaks during them. I stopped watching from like 2003-2010, so I don't know when this started, but during the Attitude era this didn't happen in WWE. It did with WCW though because I actually remember thinking "this is why you're the shittier brand".

Another thing I hate about WWE, while we are airing grievances, is I hate how they have so many commercial breaks during matches. They had TWO during the preshow match on a fucking PPV we pay $9.99 for. Obviously we know who's fighting in the main event if we are paying for WWE Network to watch a PPV.

But even on Raw and Smackdown it's gotten to a point where the majority of matches have commercial breaks during them. I stopped watching from like 2003-2010, so I don't know when this started, but during the Attitude era this didn't happen in WWE. It did with WCW though because I actually remember thinking "this is why you're the shittier brand".

Agreed. I hate commercial breaks in the middle of matches. I can at least understand if it's a really long match, like twenty minutes or more, but taking commercial breaks during five minute matches is absurd. They waste so much time on other boring shit on Raw and they can't take commercials then? Or cut out some intros early in the card?

The pre-show is a little different, though, because that's broadcast for free on YouTube, and I think you can stream it for free on WWE.com as well. It's on the network, sure, but it's not an exclusive network production.

What I do hate is when they take commercial breaks during fucking NXT. I pay ten bucks a month to watch this shit. There shouldn't be commercial breaks to shill other products, even if they are related to the WWE. Slip that advertising in between shows if it has to be there.

Yeah, that Sasha/Becky match could have been so much more, but at this point I just expect the WWE to give zero fucks about women's wrestling. It's clear they're not interested in telling compelling stories involving women, even after the so-called revolution. And that revolution is obviously on indefinite hold until Vince either dies or steps down and lets Hunter and Steph take over. They're the ones that are actually pushing it, after all.

Another indication of how little Raw cares about our opinions was that Ambrose/Ziggler versus Owens/Breeze match, as I believe I mentioned above. Four of the best workers (and three of the most over performers) on the roster and you give them about five minutes in the slot right before the main event. That's just fucking embarrassing. That match could have and should have gone twenty minutes and showcased all four guys.

I know Ambrose and Owens are about to feud, but can anyone tell me why? It just seems so lazy, like both of them need something to do and are the only upper-mid card guys left after all the injuries, so why not have them fight each other! I don't really see a compelling reason for the feud, though. Ambrose was giving Owens dirty looks after the match last night, but again, why? Owens is a dick, but he hasn't really done anything personal to Ambrose. He hasn't cheated against him. He hasn't beaten him. In fact, Ambrose had just beat Owens clean the night before! Why does Ambrose hate Owens other than the fact that Owens is a heel and Ambrose is a face?

They should have had Owens attack Ambrose after he lost on Sunday night. For one, that would have been a better explanation for why Ambrose only lasted ten minutes in the main event. Second, it would have given Ambrose a compelling reason to want to take Owens down and strip him of his Intercontinental title.

But this is the WWE, where guys feud just because.
Uh Owens faked getting kicked in the groin to win a match over Ambrose by Disqualification.
it was the funniest shit ever.

This is where the announcers get lazy and not tell you what happened in the main event and Smackdown matches
Traditionally Smackdown gets half to 65% of viewers as RAW

Last edited:
so Triple H gave Rusev some cover from vinces wrath Barrett too

who else is gonna be in the new european authority

Last edited:
so Triple H gave Rusev some cover from vinces wrath Barrett too

who else is gonna be in the new european authority

I doubt they expand it further. Sheamus/Barrett/Rusev is a pretty solid stable. It's just a shame they've booked all three guys so terribly for so long or it could have been so much more.

I only sawart but this isnt making any sense. Why have a 3 way for number 1 contender for the intercontinental championship when Ambrose beat Owens in the tournament so should be a clear number 1.
Meanwhile how many times does Owens need to beat Ziggler and why would Breeze be in the picture at all

I only sawart but this isnt making any sense. Why have a 3 way for number 1 contender for the intercontinental championship when Ambrose beat Owens in the tournament so should be a clear number 1.
Meanwhile how many times does Owens need to beat Ziggler and why would Breeze be in the picture at all

Why would anything make sense? You asking the wrong questions Torn. WWE is so bad right now and I still watch. The creative team is god awful

I doubt they expand it further. Sheamus/Barrett/Rusev is a pretty solid stable. It's just a shame they've booked all three guys so terribly for so long or it could have been so much more.

Has anyone fallen further than Rusev?

He went from super mega badass Bulgarian superheel to basically being Sheamus' manager. All from a Cena rivalry.

I mean honestly these three are all pretty solid WWE roster guys. Wade hasn't been the same since he had to give up the IC title.

Sheamus honestly has had great year. Obviously winning MITB can do that for you. But he is a great heel. The guy looks so stupid and it works.

These three together could be a good group but won't be. It's just gotten to the point where no matter what WWE creative team does, it's terrible. Like honestly what was the last good angle they had for anything? The past 5-6 championship angles with Seth were terrible. The best thing they did was have Owens beat Cena in his first wwe match, only to bury him in the next two. But even that was a "bold" move for the wwe.

One thing I think could go a long way, have guys win matches without their finisher. There's nothing more played out than a superplex or something followed by the classic kick out in two. No match ends without a finisher. I mean the occasional roll up happens but the generally is off of some lame distraction. I think something like that would be a solid small change

Finally got a chance to watch all of smackdown. Reigns had a halfway decent promo with sheamus.
Paige beat up on becky lynch while team bad had a potluck with prime time players

Del Rio apparently is feuding with Jack Swagger or Swagger is jobbing for del rio. Couldnt really tell.

Uso's pulled a number on the new. loved the flying turkey
Owens gems at ringside for the three way number 1 contender match
"dolph Ziggler looks like he is back in the eighties, probably the last time he was relevent"

"whats breze doing over there(outside the ring), Biding his time?Smart, I respect that"

" Me and ambrose are scrappy, Me and Breeze are both good looking. Dolph and i have nothing in common, I like it that wat".

"Breeze watch your back"
"Ultimately none of these guys will win, they have to face me"
on if Tyler breeze would win the match
" thats correct, losing to me for the Intercontinental championship would be huge for Tyler Breeze"

Has anyone fallen further than Rusev?

He went from super mega badass Bulgarian superheel to basically being Sheamus' manager. All from a Cena rivalry.

I don't think anyone has gotten their balls cut off by Cena quite like Rusev did. Most guys just lose twice to Cena to make sure he unambiguously wins the rivalry. Rusev lost three times straight, and looked like a bitch in basically all of his losses. And honestly, making anyone tap to Cena's horrific STF is just criminal.

I mean honestly these three are all pretty solid WWE roster guys. Wade hasn't been the same since he had to give up the IC title.

Wade Barrett continues to be baffling to me. He seemingly has everything you'd want from a WWE star. He's an above average in-ring guy. He's great on the mic, especially when it comes to being a heel. He got that shitty Bad News gimmick over, and then WWE subsequently dropped it for absolutely no reason. He's muscled like a Vince McMahon wet dream. He's basically three for three, and yet they dropped him to the undercard and forgot about him. I honestly don't get it. Unless he pissed people off behind the scenes, I really can't understand why he isn't getting pushed, especially right now when the WWE absolutely needs people to step up in the wake of all the injuries.

Barrett could be a main event guy. He has been in the past. But add him to the pile of "what could have been" guys that the WWE is so much better at producing than new stars.

Sheamus honestly has had great year. Obviously winning MITB can do that for you. But he is a great heel. The guy looks so stupid and it works.

I actually think Sheamus has had a pretty shitty year. He won the briefcase, then the WWE totally forgot about him for six months, then used him as a crutch last Sunday because the fans still won't cheer for Roman Reigns. So now, instead of the WWE doing something smart like make Ambrose the new face champ or promote Owens to the main event, we've got to watch them force Sheamus on us as a heel champ with the sole intention of getting Reigns over. Their logic, of course, being that the best way to get Reigns over is to make someone everyone hates even more as the champ until we beg them to give the belt to Reigns.

The problem is that the fans today are too smart to fall for this shit. Sheamus will catch heat in the dumber cities where Raw tends to be hosted during the forty odd "don't give a fuck" weeks of the year, but he'll end up being the face during any matches at major PPVs like the Rumble and 'Mania simply because the fans are too smart to fall for the WWE's tricks. Those fans will know that Sheamus is all that's standing between the WWE forcing Roman Reigns down our throats and will cheer for him like he's goddamn Daniel Bryan, or at least anyone going up against John Cena.

I still think the saddest moment in the WWE this year was this past Sunday, when the crowd gave a bigger pop for Sheamus (a guy zero people gave a fuck about going into Survivor Series, mind you) winning the belt than they did for Reigns. I also thought that confetti and pyro showcase was absolutely ridiculous considering the quality of the competition Reigns faced to win the tournament, but that's another story.

These three together could be a good group but won't be. It's just gotten to the point where no matter what WWE creative team does, it's terrible. Like honestly what was the last good angle they had for anything? The past 5-6 championship angles with Seth were terrible. The best thing they did was have Owens beat Cena in his first wwe match, only to bury him in the next two. But even that was a "bold" move for the wwe.

I actually just re-watched the NXT match between Kevin Owens and Adrian Neville and it made me sad. Neville has been criminally underused since joining the main roster to the point where even I've stopped caring about him, and it sucks knowing that Owens will probably never get pushed while Vince is in charge because he's too fat to be champ, at least in Vince's eyes.

I also hate this upcoming Owens/Ambrose rivalry. Don't get me wrong...on paper they should be a lot of fun. Two of the most talented guys in the company that are healthy right now facing off and what not. The problem is that both of these guys deserve to be pushed, so this rivalry will inevitably hurt one of them more than it helps. I'm guessing it will be Ambrose since the WWE seems to actively hate him, probably because he's stealing Roman's spotlight.

One thing I think could go a long way, have guys win matches without their finisher. There's nothing more played out than a superplex or something followed by the classic kick out in two. No match ends without a finisher. I mean the occasional roll up happens but the generally is off of some lame distraction. I think something like that would be a solid small change

Totally agree with this. Mixing up match endings would go a long way toward making the product fresher.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."