• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Philadelphia Dumpster fire

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I guess I'd like to see someone run through the last three drafts and tell me what they would have done differently if they were Philly in those situations.

Which guy are you passing on? The one they actually got flak for taking was Okafor because they had taken two Centers before him........but that seems like that was probably a pretty smart pick.

The moves that look good were
Noel trade
Okafor
Moving Elfrid for the rights to Saric
Moving MCW for the Lakers pick next summer

Their 13 draft probably made the most sense though I probably keep Pierre Jackson and take MIke Muscala instead of Rice Jr. (You could probably make a case now saying you take Giannis at 10. I wouldn't given the Lakers pick they got for MCW)

Once they got the 3rd pick in the Wiggins draft (14) they should have moved it. Boston probably would have bitten on something along the lines of #5 and #17 for #3 and two of those five 2nd round picks most likely #39 / #47. (Still leaves them with the 10th pick allowing the Saric move to happen) After finding out about Embiid's injury and potential for future injuries I wouldn't have gone the Embiid route.

Would have taken Smart at 5 to play the 2, then Ennis at 17 for PG and would have kept Mcdaniels (they are so thin on the wings in terms of talent) I think Ennis has just not been on a team that needs him to play. The Suns had Bledsoe and Dragic. Then got moved to a team that had MCW,Vasquez, Mayo and Giannis as the primary ball handlers..

At 52 / 54 in 14 those draft and stashes are alright gambles though I like Alessandro Gentile's (53) changes of getting to the NBA more than the guys they took so probably take him at 52 as opposed to Micic

In 15 three out of their first 4 picks were centers lol 2 of which they traded the rights of

One they used sent to the Kings in the Thompson / Landry / Stauskas (surprised this kid can't hit the broadside of barn at this point) The other got moved to the Knicks for cash and two future 2nd round picks

Out of the 5 2nd rounders they had in 15 you would think they could have jumped back up into the first for 2 / 3 of those picks with either the Lakers (rebuildng) at 27 or the Celtics (rebuilding) at 28 and taken either Hunter or Harrell. Shit they probably could have used all 5 2nds to move up and select both of those players given how the 2nds are valued for being non-guaranteed deals.

at that point you're looking at

Okafor
Noel
McDaniels
Smart
Ennis
Hunter
Harrell
Muscula
Jackson

Saric (comes over in 2016)

Even if Ennis didn't work out once given a chance you'd be able to use Wooten at PG or slide Smart over and let Hunter play the 2

You add the right three or four vets to that group it turns into a decent as well as balanced young squad with the right amount of shooting (they lack this in their current make up) and high potential on the defensive side of things

Everything for them is hindsight though.

He's like Draymond Green except significantly more talented and athletic in every way.

He could be a SF. He could be a small ball center.

The dude has no jumpshot at all. You can't play him and noel together so if they did go for him (which i would) you would have to have a plan to move Noel in place. Dont get me wrong simmons is an amazing player and they can run their team through him, but no NBA team will guard him out past 15 feet early on.

Reactions: KB
Well for me the question is does Embiid have any value? Prob not at least now. Maybe in the future.

Nerlens has a lot of value, which is why I could see him traded down the line because they may want a stretch 4 instead since they have a really traditional center. You could argue of course that Okafor is such a def liability that they have to keep Noel.

Imagine we drafted Val and Drummond. Is that good or bad for trades?
bad....ish? drummond and val would've been similar to drummond and monroe in detroit. both are natural centers, and they don't complement each other well enough to share the court at all really. jv does provide more spacing than monroe, not enough to make it keeping both worthwhile though.

the thing is jv had a good rookie year and was a highly-regarded prospect going into the draft. if the cavs were in love with drummond, they could've gotten pretty damn good value for jv had they chose to move him right away.

I guess I'd like to see someone run through the last three drafts and tell me what they would have done differently if they were Philly in those situations.

Which guy are you passing on? The one they actually got flak for taking was Okafor because they had taken two Centers before him........but that seems like that was probably a pretty smart pick.
i'd bet a lot of money they'd do this past draft differently and take 'staps instead.

of course hindsight is wonderfully valuable and all that so...

Last edited:
bad....ish? drummond and val would've been similar to drummond and monroe in detroit. both are natural centers, and they don't complement each other well enough to share the court at all really. jv does provide more spacing than monroe, not enough to make it keeping both worthwhile though.

the thing is jv had a good rookie year and was a highly-regarded prospect going into the draft. if the cavs were in love with drummond, they could've gotten pretty damn good value for jv had they chose to move him right away.

i'd bet a lot of money they'd do this past draft differently and take 'staps instead.

of course hindsight is wonderfully valuable and all that so...

That was my point. Even if they couldn't share the court, their value as mobile centers would have meant good value in return for trades and you can easily trade big for small.

Sixers have a chance to lose 27 straight games, breaking the tie with the Cavs tonight.

I still think the Cavs would be battling them for that spot if Lebron didn't return.......

Shit was a dumpster fire till he returned

Browns are still a bigger and badder dumpster fire.

Ah but Philly has THREE dumpster fires posing in adjacent buildings. The fires are raging out of control and are now one bid effing dumpster fire.

The Browns could take the Eagles right now (no I'm not kidding), the Phillies lost 99 and the Sixers are total trash.

I still think the Cavs would be battling them for that spot if Lebron didn't return.......

Shit was a dumpster fire till he returned
wouldn't be quite that bad but yes, they'd be in serious trouble.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ia-76ers-stopped-speeding-ben-franklin-bridge

Talk about a dumpster fire. They finally get someone who looks to be worth the high pick, and he is shaping up to be a headcase. There are also links in the article to his other 'brawls' he has been a part of.

Dude needs thicker skin.
most important part of this story is the newly-reported incident from october(!) in which he had a gun(!!) pointed at his head after exchanging words with a heckler. dude must think he's invincible now that he's a pro athlete and has more money than a 20yo could ever need. fucking idiot.

considering this happened before the season and before they had a single loss, perhaps michael lee should consider revising his takedown of the org and victimization of okafor.

Last edited:

This just shows that giving up everything for draft picks is an extremely high-risk strategy. Just because some teams occasionally hit the jackpot in the draft doesn't mean it's a good idea to bet that you will.

And even teams that do hit the jackpot sometimes can't do as much as you'd think with it. Look at New Orleans now.

This just shows that giving up everything for draft picks is an extremely high-risk strategy. Just because some teams occasionally hit the jackpot in the draft doesn't mean it's a good idea to bet that you will.

And even teams that do hit the jackpot sometimes can't do as much as you'd think with it. Look at New Orleans now.

But New Orleans is exactly what Philly has been trying to avoid - only landing one top quality pick over a span of being not very good.

Philly got extremely unlucky the year the Cavs nabbed Wiggins. There were 2 sure things, and one injury gamble. Turned out it was a personality issue and an injury issue.

Last year they appeared to make a good pick, but apparently they have no support system in place for him. Okafor can certainly play though.

If they can land this kid out of LSU, they'll have their own version of Wiggins/Towns.

How do things like that even happen? Like you are in line to be making enough money to set your entire family forever. Not to mention you know being a potential HOF player.

Some people just don't have it between the ears. He should hire some people, and I mean this, all athletes should have people around them that tell them no, and keep them out of situations where you can have a fucking gun pulled on you.

How do things like that even happen? Like you are in line to be making enough money to set your entire family forever. Not to mention you know being a potential HOF player.

Some people just don't have it between the ears. He should hire some people, and I mean this, all athletes should have people around them that tell them no, and keep them out of situations where you can have a fucking gun pulled on you.
Dont they have whole day of seminars for orientation? just pay antoine walker to turn up and tell them how not to behave (and also how to shimmy..not enough shimmy in the modern nba)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."