• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

New TV Series to watch

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Been watching "The Last Kingdom". It's a BBC adaptation of Bernard Cornwall's set of historical novels set in Britain, during the time of Alfred the Great and the Danish/Viking invasions. Great casting, and they really nailed the flavor of the period and historical characters.

I have not heard of it - I take it that it is historical like Rome from HBO. How would you rate it genre wise ? How is the pace ?

I have not heard of it - I take it that it is historical like Rome from HBO. How would you rate it genre wise ? How is the pace ?

Here's the trailer - pretty fair representation

https://youtu.be/l6j5bDoga9Y

If you like historical stuff, it's really good. I've always been fascinated by that pre-England period (Alfred only English King to be called "the Great", and he's much more clever than tough). Series really gets going around the third episode where he makes his appearance.

BBC stuff tends to be a bit more....sparse than U.S. stuff, but that fits this period perfectly. There's absolutely no glamour - the women are decent looking but not HBO-hot and they don't get nekkid.

Lots of fighting, and they absolutely nailed cultural/attitude differences between the pagan Danes (cool as hell) and Christian Saxons.

It follows one Saxon noble who was captured as a child and raised by Danes, then has to flee after his adoptive father is murdered and he gets blamed. Great character because his loyalties are somewhat divided. He despises Christianity, has a short temper, and so doesn't always think ahead. Acting is excellent all round.

Just looked it up - very highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, and a lot of Game of Thrones comparisons. It's a less intricate story, and of course it's historical with no fantasy elements. More fighting, and more dirt.

Last edited:
Just finished up episode 5 (or 6) of Jessica Jones, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I had no idea about the comic, but I think the main characters are done pretty well. The lead girl was intriguing in Breaking Bad, and she's enjoyable to watch in the role; plus her ass looks fantastic in jeans-much more caboose than I was expecting in such a skinny girl. The Luke Cage guy is pretty good, as well; however, David Tennant is fucking killing it so far as Kilgrave.

Looks like I need to start watching Fargo again; I started season one, but stopped watching it bc wife couldn't catch up.

American Horror Story has been shit since the Coven season IMO.

I'm eager to begin watching The Man in the High Castle, once I finish up Jessica Jones.

Trying to get into Homeland this season, but I'm getting sick of looking at Clare Danes.

Started watching Man in the High Castle with my dad and uncle during Thanksgiving.

Sorta slow but overall really interesting and intense.

Here's the trailer - pretty fair representation

https://youtu.be/l6j5bDoga9Y

If you like historical stuff, it's really good. I've always been fascinated by that pre-England period (Alfred only English King to be called "the Great", and he's much more clever than tough). Series really gets going around the third episode where he makes his appearance.

BBC stuff tends to be a bit more....sparse than U.S. stuff, but that fits this period perfectly. There's absolutely no glamour - the women are decent looking but not HBO-hot and they don't get nekkid.

Lots of fighting, and they absolutely nailed cultural/attitude differences between the pagan Danes (cool as hell) and Christian Saxons.

It follows one Saxon noble who was captured as a child and raised by Danes, then has to flee after his adoptive father is murdered and he gets blamed. Great character because his loyalties are somewhat divided. He despises Christianity, has a short temper, and so doesn't always think ahead. Acting is excellent all round.

Just looked it up - very highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, and a lot of Game of Thrones comparisons. It's a less intricate story, and of course it's historical with no fantasy elements. More fighting, and more dirt.

Brutal finale.

If I could sum up Alfred in the show: A more cerebral, less martial Stannis.

Brutal finale.

If I could sum up Alfred in the show: A more cerebral, less martial Stannis.

More religious, too, although that tempered a bit in the finale. The actor who plays him is really good - not a traditional war leader, but ahead of his time in terms of his vision and thinking. His men sense that there is something great in him, but you can tell they don't quite understand what that is. Great portrayal of a historical figure who almost seemed out of his time.

The Danes are so well-done -Skorpa is just scary as hell, and Guthrum was a great portrayal too. Uhtred is great, and i have to take back what I said about the women not being as hot - Iseult was smoking. That scene where they first meet and she just touches his face...damn.

It seems like the battle scenes were better, in general, than in GoT. The shieldwalls, etc. we're just cool as hell to see. No e of us obviously have ever seen that stuff, but it looked really plausible.

Really liked the whole series.

Nice to see more and more people singing the praises of Jessica Jones.

There were some rumors about issues with Iron Fist and a possible Punisher series replacing him. However, they just announced a show runner today for the first season so it appears everything will continue to go as planned.

Anyone here watch The League? Because the last two episodes were amazing.

Rafi and Ruxin trying to guess Sofia's weight in dead dogs had me dying. "She's like, two German Shepherds and a Pomeranian." "She's like, half a Beethovan and the Taco Bell dog." "I don't have time to go find famous dogs. I'm gonna have to kill local dogs." Good god.

"We went to this place where you could have sex with birds. I think it was called a national park. Puerto Rico has some slutty birds."

"Possums are like road pomegranate."

I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard at this show. The whole animated sequence with Rafi and Randy was incredible.

I personally thought the animated sequence was dumb. Some funny jokes in there, but just wasn't feeling it.

This show is all hit or miss for me. Sometimes the episodes (like the recent Sofia dying one) was hilarious. Flowed well, great jokes. But some episodes you can tell they try wayyyyy to hard. And it feels forced and just not funny.

This season has been pretty good, though.

Ruxin is by far my favorite character.

I personally thought the animated sequence was dumb. Some funny jokes in there, but just wasn't feeling it.

This show is all hit or miss for me. Sometimes the episodes (like the recent Sofia dying one) was hilarious. Flowed well, great jokes. But some episodes you can tell they try wayyyyy to hard. And it feels forced and just not funny.

This season has been pretty good, though.

Ruxin is by far my favorite character.

Oh, I agree the show is very hit or miss. The last two episodes were great, though.

Just finished "Master of None" on Netflix. I thought it was pretty good. Not sure if everyone likes Aziz or not. I do. I recommend it...lots of good half hour shows.

Just finished "Master of None" on Netflix. I thought it was pretty good. Not sure if everyone likes Aziz or not. I do. I recommend it...lots of good half hour shows.
show is getting ridiculously good reviews.

hes a likable guy and has a few interesting points of view. the season was enjoyable enbough to watch the whole thing but it wasnt spellbinding.

props to getting past that first or second episode which was a very very awkward homage to immigrant ancestry. it was difficult to watch, and the series hadnt exactly earned the right to make viewers sit through that.

Last edited:
Finally caught up on Impractical Jokers. My goodness, that show is hilarious. Highly recommend it.

Re-watched season 1 of Lost. I know that the show gets weird towards the end, but that first season was damn good tv.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."