• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kobe Bryant to retire at season's end

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Obawan12

Team Statistician
Reaction score
Figured this deserved it's own thread. One of the all-time greats.

Dear Basketball,

From the moment
I started rolling my dad’s tube socks
And shooting imaginary
Game-winning shots
In the Great Western Forum
I knew one thing was real:

I fell in love with you.

A love so deep I gave you my all —
From my mind & body
To my spirit & soul.

As a six-year-old boy
Deeply in love with you
I never saw the end of the tunnel.
I only saw myself
Running out of one.

And so I ran.
I ran up and down every court
After every loose ball for you.
You asked for my hustle
I gave you my heart
Because it came with so much more.

I played through the sweat and hurt
Not because challenge called me
But because YOU called me.
I did everything for YOU
Because that’s what you do
When someone makes you feel as
Alive as you’ve made me feel.

You gave a six-year-old boy his Laker dream
And I’ll always love you for it.
But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.
This season is all I have left to give.
My heart can take the pounding
My mind can handle the grind
But my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.

And that’s OK.
I’m ready to let you go.
I want you to know now
So we both can savor every moment we have left together.
The good and the bad.
We have given each other
All that we have.

And we both know, no matter what I do next
I’ll always be that kid
With the rolled up socks
Garbage can in the corner
:05 seconds on the clock
Ball in my hands.
5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1

Love you always,
Kobe

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dear-basketball/

-______-

But seriously RIP Kobe's career.

Before the season began (when the Cavs were discussing the Joe Johnson trade) - I was intrigued by the idea of a similar trade for Kobe, if he wanted to try to win another ring on his way out.

But the way he's regressed (and the way that he continues to shoot like a maniac) - I don't think a contending team would even want him, if he were to reach a buyout and become available.

Before the season began (when the Cavs were discussing the Joe Johnson trade) - I was intrigued by the idea of a similar trade for Kobe, if he wanted to try to win another ring on his way out.

But the way he's regressed (and the way that he continues to shoot like a maniac) - I don't think a contending team would even want him, if he were to reach a buyout and become available.

God no...

Always annoyed how kobe aged. 10 years ago he bragged he was adding to his game so he would change his style as he aged. He said he was going to add hooks and tear drops. Fast forward 10 years still doing the same jab jab contested long 2 he was doing in his rookie year

That poem was brilliant. So heartfelt.

Disliked Kobe when he started off. Didn't like his attitiude at all. He was arrogant and brash. Then when he won the championships with Shaq, it was even worse. Lakers fans and his fanbois in general were unbearable. Constantly bigging up Kobe and mocking LeBron.

But, in the last few years, I gone from hating him to respecting him to liking him. I know, I shouldn't like him but for some reason, I do. Say what you want about Kobe, but even his biggest detractors would admire how much effort he gave and how much intensity he played with every game.

All things said and done, one of the greatest players to have graced the game of baksetball. Top-5 or Top-10 is up for debate and that will always go on. But, it was fun watching Kobe play. Adios Mamba.

Kobe has always epitomized "hates to lose" type of player. LeBron James has always been the "loves to win" type of player. This is obviously not a very scientific conversation, those statements are open to your interpretation.

Everybody is born with a disposition to think a certain type of way. There are different preferred paths of stimulus which produces motivation and ends up driving these guys to perform at the highest level. Some people need the stimulus of wanting to achieve more love and respect. Other times it's needing to prove those people wrong.

He seems to be that guy who remembers everything bad that anybody's ever done to him. On a day to day basis He uses all of that as motivation to light the fire under his ass. For many years I bet Kobe was dying to get a 6th ring and tie MJ. That would have been the best thing to ever happen to him. I'm sure he's more than content admitting that MJ is the GOAT. Kobe has explicitly said that. What would be hard for Kobe to admit is that LeBron James is a more complete basketball player than him. What's funny though is that Kobe will likely always have more rings than LeBron... so the conversation will live on until we all croak. The trash talking between the two will be pure gold.

I think LeBron is fueled by striving for greatness. He sees the longer game, he eventually wants a statue of himself, he wants to be considered the greatest SF to ever play the game. Being the guy who ended Cleveland's curse. Being the best player since Michael Jordan, being a better overall a better player than Kobe Bryant.

Does this mean Kyrie’s challenge to play 1-on-1 against Kobe over the summer from a couple years ago is permanently off the table or...?

It would be great if he joined the Warriors and shot 4/20 on average.

It would be great if he joined the Warriors and shot 4/20 on average.
The Warriors have some contagious in the zone bullshit going on... Kobe would shoot 3s at a 47.2% clip coming off the bench for them.

He's a legend and the NBA won't be the same without him. It's sad he's going to go out on a bad note.

He's a legend and the NBA won't be the same without him. It's sad he's going to go out on a bad note.

It's actually kind of poetic the way he's going out. Playing the same way as always, just can't do what he used to do.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."