• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mixed Martial Arts

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Some of the gif since the fight are great

lTJcxZV.gif

NvZftQ8.gif

Vbg9gYf.gif

ExhaustedWindingDassie.gif

Simpsons_zps6nl9jtwj.gif

ygkfouxr5u.gif

WeakPlushBighornedsheep.gif

dVsxBP3.jpg

image.png

As someone who does not watch MMA and had not heard of Ronda until July or so...how big of an upset was this? 1-10 scale?

As someone who does not watch MMA and had not heard of Ronda until July or so...how big of an upset was this? 1-10 scale?

The reason this was such a huge upset was not because Ronda's skill set was so much greater than Holly's but the fact that Ronda had totally dismantled every opponent she had ever faced in her life in every sense of the word. Ronda has not only remained undefeated for her entire career but had only been pushed past the first round ONE TIME. Like many people, I like to compare her dominance to Mike Tyson. Rousey has been so dominant that a lot of her opponents were defeated before they ever stepped in the cage. Now that there is a solid blueprint on how to beat her, i personally don't feel she will ever be the same fighter she was.
Holly Holm was as much as a 20-1 underdog on many betting sites. It's like nobody took the time to actually look past Holly's short MMA career. In many boxing circles, she is considered the greatest Woman's boxer is the history of the sport. She held all of the big 3 belts and defended her titles a total of 16 times. She was dethroned and beaten badly in 2012 (Knocked out of the ring) only to come back and avenge that loss. That takes moxie.
The point is, although Holly had all of the credentials to do exactly what she did, Ronda has been such a dominant force that practically no one gave Holly a chance and the people that actually did are now reaping the benefits.

The reason this was such a huge upset was not because Ronda's skill set was so much greater than Holly's but the fact that Ronda had totally dismantled every opponent she had ever faced in her life in every sense of the word. Ronda has not only remained undefeated for her entire career but had only been pushed past the first round ONE TIME. Like many people, I like to compare her dominance to Mike Tyson. Rousey has been so dominant that a lot of her opponents were defeated before they ever stepped in the cage. Now that there is a solid blueprint on how to beat her, i personally don't feel she will ever be the same fighter she was.
Holly Holm was as much as a 20-1 underdog on many betting sites. It's like nobody took the time to actually look past Holly's short MMA career. In many boxing circles, she is considered the greatest Woman's boxer is the history of the sport. She held all of the big 3 belts and defended her titles a total of 16 times. She was dethroned and beaten badly in 2012 (Knocked out of the ring) only to come back and avenge that loss. That takes moxie.
The point is, although Holly had all of the credentials to do exactly what she did, Ronda has been such a dominant force that practically no one gave Holly a chance and the people that actually did are now reaping the benefits.

Thanks. Do you think she can win a rematch? From the clips I saw, she was way overmatched by Holly. It looked like an ass kicking.

Thanks. Do you think she can win a rematch? From the clips I saw, she was way overmatched by Holly. It looked like an ass kicking.

I'm not, nor have i ever been a fan of Rousey. With that said, she definitely has the tools to win a rematch. She is extremely confident, aggressive and a world-class Judo practitioner. She has the ability to win the rematch, I just don't think she will. Holly is the antithesis of Ronda. There is no situation big enough to pull Holly out of her game. She is even-keeled, smart and wildly driven. She also has a huge and knowledgeable support system (Husband, coaches, training partners and friends). Something Ronda will never have.

Ronda has all of the ability in the world. However, Holly took her soul Saturday night.

If you weren't a serious fan of MMA, it was either the biggest upset in the history of the sport or the second biggest (Serra over GSP is still higher for me).

If you follow the sport closely, it was still a big upset, but at least you knew it was possible.

I do think Rousey has a great chance in a rematch if she avoids the standup game and forces a clinch and ground based battle.

It might have been an upset, but it's hard to call it an upset with how badly she got beat. She wasn't a threat to even remotely win once it started and lost early.

Unless that is factored in, but it would appear a bigger upset if Rousey was dominating or something and Holm somehow got out of it and won at the end. Rousey got freakin dominated so bad its hard to call it an upset, but I guess it is also because she had so much hype.

I think people saying Rousey is done are wrong. Listen, Holly Holm's greatest strength is Rousey's greatest weakness - the upright game. Rousey has historically struggled against boxers. It's why people thought this was Rousey's toughest challenge since turning pro, although, I doubt anyone thought it would be this bad.

This matchup was similar to the 2004 NBA finals between the Pistons-Lakers. The Lakers were an all-time talented team in the NBA. Perhaps most talented in the NBA that year. Their one weakness was getting the ball inside. The Pistons were long, relied on getting fast breaks on offense, and had perhaps the best defensive center in the NBA. Add to that how arrogant the Lakers were, and it was a doomed matchup.

Could Rousey beat Holm in a rematch? Yeah, probably. If Rousey could get Holm on the ground for any sort of extended period the match is over. Here's the dilemma, it is an awful matchup for Ronda. Holm is faster and has at least as strong lower body as Rousey. Ultimately, Rousey and Holm will fight again. And it deservingly will be a good match. But I don't know if Holm could beat some of the fighters Rousey has (specifically Miesha Tate). UFC is still a newly popular sport, and because of that, Rousey is probably slightly overhyped. I hope she can continue to up the popularity of the sport, though, because it is really fun.

Geez, next time there's a 20-1 favorites i'm dropping $100 on the girl dog...$100 to win $2000? All it takes is one lucky shot. Seems like a sport, especially women's, where flukey shit can happen? Maybe i'm wrong.

Do I think Ronda can come back and be champ and own again? Yes
Do I think Ronda can come back to beat Holly to win that belt? Not now

Re-watching the fight it's clear Ronda has never "really" trained with a southpaw.

She clearly never saw the left straight, as she ate it over and over again, at times Holly was leading with a left straight, also used it well to back out. The right hook Holly was using was slick, used it to lead with, go over any attempted jab/straight Ronda threw with her left. Holly actually very rarely used a jab, nor used it to keep distance, she was using pure footwork for jumping in/out. She had zero respect for Ronda shooting for a take down, which she shouldn't Ronda has no wrestling take downs. Ronda's head movement is like she has no concept of moving her head, stayed on the center line entire fight. Then you throw in those knee kicks when Ronda walks in randomly, jeez.

Like I told my buddy a few months ago, Ronda should be training wrestling full time, doubles, singles, body locks, not working on boxing, her judo to wrestling would translate much easier then judo to boxing since she was already 25 at the time she started to really train boxing hard. She pretty much ignored wrestling, she has zero take downs outside of using her power to grab/judo toss/sweep. If she would of had any of them, she could of at least "tried" to take down Holly instead of just standing there wangin like Andy Wang, Ronda fell in love those KO's she was getting on softies. If Ronda wants to get back on track, she really needs to focus on her golden goose.

Last edited:
So thoughts on McGregor vs. Aldo?

I've been a massive Aldo fan since his days in WEC and he is my favorite fighter bar none with Condit being a somewhat distant second. I absolutely hate Conor and find his schtick incredibly tired and forced, And I don't think I've ever wished for a person to get stomped as much as I do Conor in this match.

That being said, I'm still not totally sure of the outcome. I'm confident that Aldo can handle Conor and get the win but Conors reach and power is just so ridiculous for that weight class that the doubt is still there. This is the first time in my life that I'm actually not 100% sure that Aldo will win and that's kinda fucking with me.

Regardless I think it's going to be a hell of a fight and if nothing else it'll be nice to finally get some closure on the matter.

Hopefully Connor loses and Dana drowns his sorrows of Ronda and Connor at pinkberry.

I think Aldo should win, Connor hasn't really done anything or beat anyone in MMA, his biggest win was against a tiny Chad Mendes who had a 18 day notice. I think it really depends on how well Aldo can deal with the size Connor's going to be from his massive cut/regain of weight.

Not a fan of Connor or Bones, them dudes cut so much weight then come in fight night 20-30lbs heavier then the class weight, they completely dwarf their opponents it's pretty silly.

Expect Connor to come in around 170-175lb fight night looking massive compared to Aldo.

I enjoy throw back fighters that fight at the weight they walk around at for the most part, Nick Diaz, Frankie Edgar, Chuck Liddell, Machida, Dan Henderson, etc

Say what you want about McGregor, but he certainly has finishing power in both hands.

Aldo, quite frankly, looked shook from the time he left his dressing room.

I usually don't have a problem with the arrogant guys but McGregor seems to take it up a notch that even I can't stand.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."