• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 College Football Season/Playoff Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
UNC isn't getting in over OSU, short of a 59-0 esque victory.

The CFP spokesman was adamant that OSUs schedule was easily better, and UNCs loss is the worst of anyone in contention.

Shouldn't have scheduled two FCS teams and lost to a 3-win team. One win won't save them.

Hopefully Kirby Smart leaving for UGA screws up Bama somehow.

Ask yourself this...if Bama loses to Ole Miss that same week OSU loses to MSU, are they still #2? Are they ranked ahead of OSU?

Doubt it...timing matters.

It matters to some extent, but I simply disagree that Clemson losing their last game is going to drop them below Ohio State. And if Alabama had lost two weeks ago, no matter where they would be ranked tonight, it ultimately would NOT matter because they'd still get into the playoff with a win next week. So maybe they'd be ranked 5th or whatever, but they'd make the necessary leap

Ohio State is in with a Bama or Clemson loss.

People need to drop the Stanford talk. There is no way this final weekend shakes out without having at least 4 power 5 schools with zero or one loss. How does Stanford winning a worse than expected Pac 12 warrant inclusion when they have lost twice? They are going to jump the defending national champ who has one loss to a top 5 team on a last second field goal in a bad weather game? Not happening.

Clemson needs to win to stay in. The ACC simply isn't good enough to prop them up. UNC is out even with a blowout win. They have a terrible loss and a schedule that is almost as bad. That and this isn't basketball. We are kidding ourselves if we think brand power doesn't come into play when teams are close in the resumè department.

The only way Clemson doesn't finish ahead of Ohio State is if they lose by 50 to UNC. I do think Iowa would fall below Ohio State if they lose to MSU, although it would be close. I don't know if MSU would. Stanford easily jumps OSU with a win. So, Ohio State pretty much needs Alabama to lose and Stanford to lose, and needs Michigan State to win, to have a shot.

Last edited:
The only way Clemson doesn't finish ahead of Ohio State is if they lose by 50 to UNC. I do think Iowa would fall below Ohio State if MSU loses, although it would be close. I don't know if MSU would. Stanford easily jumps OSU with a win. So, Ohio State pretty much needs Alabama to lose and Stanford to lose, and needs Michigan State to win, to have a shot.

None of this is really true.

But I applaud the effort.

Take your pick. Team A and Team B are both one loss teams from Power 5 conferences. Which one do you choose for the playoffs??

Team A: SOS - 58
Team B: SOS - 3

That's the biggest reason right there my friends. Bama has played a significantly tougher schedule. The committee will always reward that.

Here's my thing with OSU:

-They looked largely unimpressive the entire year, aside from one game against Michigan

-Though they lost to the #5 team on a last second field goal, they were playing at home and against MSU's back-up QB. A legitimate, playoff caliber team doesn't lose a game like that late in the season with conference and playoff implications on the line.

-Yes. The Big Ten was a strong conference this year, but OSU only beat one quality team in-conference play (Michigan) and didn't have to play Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Iowa. Their best out of conference win was NIU.

-The fact that they're the defending national champs means nothing this year.

I still think that with a close loss Clemson gets in. Their resume would be the following:

12-0 regular season
2 wins against teams in the current CFP top 10 (FSU and ND)
SOS - 36 (will go up after facing UNC)

Even with a loss, their resume would be more impressive than OSU's. Not sure how people have such a difficult time seeing this.

The SEC is an overrated heap. I really don't get how they claim Alabama's schedule is so much harder...? Does it have anything to do with the premeditated overhyped perception that SEC teams are better? Last I checked they have a far worse loss and really no really good wins (not that OSU is much better in this regard, with only one good win).I don't claim to understand all their algorithms and bullshit that they use. I don't really think OSU deserves to be in the playoff, mainly because there was no excuse to lose to MSU that game, and like you said they looked unimpressive for much of the year (I wouldn't say Michigan was their only good performance; it was their only good performance against a good team, rather). Part of this is the woefully mismanaged quarterback situation.

Still, I'd be quite happy if Ohio State got in. I think they'd have a really good chance at winning it all again, to be honest. Meyer is a wizard in those situations as we saw last year. But OSU has nobody to blame but themselves for this predicament. This team was on the cusp of greatness. Has the talent, just...not the hunger? I don't know. It was a fantastic run regardless, winning the first CFP.

Anywho, not gonna act like this year is over yet and start talking about next season already. I just wanted to express that as an OSU fan I can't even be mad about being left out. We controlled our own destiny, and lost a game we had no business losing. That's on this team and nobody else.

Joey Freshwater.....google him. Story is mostly true. Monday night was great with Bama booster.....

There is a human element to this that people are ignoring. It's not simply a question of who has the better resumè. People are kidding themselves if they don't think that OSU being the defending champ with mostly the same core group back will be taken into consideration. Especially, when they demolished Michigan in the same fashion they closed out last season.

I will be shocked if Clemson or Bama loses and Ohio State is still watching the playoffs from the couch.

There is a human element to this that people are ignoring. It's not simply a question of who has the better resumè. People are kidding themselves if they don't think that OSU being the defending champ with mostly the same core group back will be taken into consideration. Especially, when they demolished Michigan in the same fashion they closed out last season.

I will be shocked if Clemson or Bama loses and Ohio State is still watching the playoffs from the couch.

Agreed. The problem? I doubt either loses. Bama has almost no chance of losing. Clemson, maybe....somebody perform a voodoo ritual.

I guess I've seen enough from the committee in two years that I don't think they are going to vote like normal pollsters do. The fact that they refused to drop Notre Dame below UNC is a REALLY big difference from what you get from your normal AP-type voter. Notre Dame lost this week, UNC didn't, but the committee didn't care. They continued to look at the body of work, not just the most recent week.

Knowing that, they were extremely ready to drop Florida State last season if only they had lost a game. They were very unimpressed with Florida State despite them being the defending champs. But Florida State never gave them the chance to drop them out of the rankings by being the only undefeated team in the country last season. I just don't know that they are going to be swayed by Ohio State's past success. We'll see.

I guess I've seen enough from the committee in two years that I don't think they are going to vote like normal pollsters do. The fact that they refused to drop Notre Dame below UNC is a REALLY big difference from what you get from your normal AP-type voter. Notre Dame lost this week, UNC didn't, but the committee didn't care. They continued to look at the body of work, not just the most recent week.

Knowing that, they were extremely ready to drop Florida State last season if only they had lost a game. They were very unimpressed with Florida State despite them being the defending champs. But Florida State never gave them the chance to drop them out of the rankings by being the only undefeated team in the country last season. I just don't know that they are going to be swayed by Ohio State's past success. We'll see.

I think there's more at play in all this: Notre Dame brings a much bigger fan base than UNC. Ohio State also brings in money, and everyone knows that nothing sells like Meyer vs. Saban. We have a chance to sneak in with a MSU win and a Clemson loss. That said, it really wouldn't surprise me if Stanford jumped us with a victory over USC simply because of their SOS.

I do think money is the secret factor no one talks about, and might be the reason OSU snuck in over TCU and Baylor last year, and may be the reason they sneak in again if they get some help from UNC and USC.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."