• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The 10 Commandments of Trade Rumors

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Henderson

keyboard monkey. also, not actually Joe Henderson.
Reaction score
Alright, with the offseason having exploded onto this board, covering everything with rumor-mongering debris, i think it's time to come up with some basic common sense rules. I'll throw a few out there that i've felt like i had to post a few times already, then please, feel free to add yours.

1. No lazy fat guys.

AKA, the Zach Randolph Axiom. Overpaid guys who get by on sheer talent and don't do much to improve their game shouldn't be anywhere near the Cavs.

2. No long New York or New Jersey contracts

AKA, the Big Market Theorem. The Cavs should never, under any circumstances help possible Lebron destinations clear cap space for him.

3. No downhill superstars

AKA the Shaq-Kidd-Jerm Rule. This didn't work for the Suns or the Mavs and wouldn't work the Cavs. You basically get one shot, then are shackled with the gigantic deal. That's no way to build a team. The Cavs should be adding pieces now that could be around for years to come.

4. No GM clones

AKA the Jiri Welsch Rule, just to shorten everything up. Paxson traded a first rounder for a late second-round talent. Why? He thought a shooting guard who has "basketball IQ" and a mid-range game would be perfect with LeBron. You can also call this the Donyell Marshall rule after Danny gave too many years to a veteran power forward who could stroke the three ball.

courtesy of RK

5. No mortgaging of te future.

AKA the Law of Isiah. Have you noticed there is only one traded first rounder in this draft? When was the last time everyone kept their first rounders? As previously mentioned, demanding first rounders to complete deals has lost its wonton Isaiah Thomas charm. No one wants a roster that is old, financially secure, and never pushed in practice by young blood. Again, don't pull a Miami Heat because its not worth it.

courtesy of RK

6. No small guards over 30

AKA the Damon Stoudemire Directive. Cavs fans were outraged that we traded Mark Price for a first rounder. I remember when Cavs forums wanted to swap out Z for Nick Van Exel. I remember when Damon Stoudemire was a bonafide point guard. Sure there are exceptions like AI, but generally the drop off is hard and steep.

courtesy of RK

7. No Snow/Szczerbiak combo deal.

AKA the Expiring Contracts Corollary. No Snow and Szczerbiak in the same deal unless it's a huge swap (like for Redd/Williams/Simmons or for 'Melo). I really don't want to dump both guys for Redd or Mike Miller. They're both good chips on their own.

courtesy of Benny

8. No garbage for superstars proposals.

AKA the Ira Newble Dictate. No absurd trade ideas like where the Cavs get 2 All-star players in exchange for Damon Jones, Ira Newble, Dwayne Jones, and our 1st rounder.... and yes, I know that Ira is no longer on the team... that's kinda the point. Try to use some common sense in the trade... does it fit the cap considerations.... would you do the same trade if you were the OTHER team.... are all the players and picks eligible to be traded?

courtesy of MikeOC

9. No fraudulent euros.
AKA the Sasha Pavlovic Regulation. Watch out for--> THE FRAUDULENT EUROS-- especially the ones everyone says "can shoot the lights out"... Those sneaky bastards are very rarely worth a damn, are slow, finesse players, with poor basketball IQ's that have no desire to defend, and have virtually nothing to offer a team.. Only a select handful are useful to their team, and rest assure they will not be available in any form or fashion.. They may show flashes and promise in practice, but stay away from these frauds and resist the urge..

courtesy of PIP

any more?

Last edited:
Nobody with an injury riddled past. See Jermaine O'Neil

how about:

No Snow and Szczerbiak in the same deal unless it's a huge swap (like for Redd/Williams/Simmons or for 'Melo). I really don't want to dump both guys for Redd or Mike Miller. They're both good chips on their own.

The 19th pick is NOT a throw-in.

I think cavs should try to get J.r. smith from denver, and trade wally sczerbiak - that guys is in top10 most overpaid players in nba ( jermain is #1 )

I pretty much don't agree with the first two. If you can get a pick and Zach in a deal I think you do it. 2nd of all, NY is one of the most likely trading partners. It makes sense. They need the financial benefits and they want to unload Zach and Curry. You think they won't find a way to clear some space even without our help? What difference does it make? I don't subscribe to this "don't help NY" mindset. If we don't make something happen it won't make a damn difference, he will bolt anyway. Putting a team around him that can contend for a championship takes precedence over who we help out financially. If they are able to do what they want, the space will be there by 2010. Zach + a pick would put us in much better shape then we are now. Not saying it is going to happen because you usually don't get value players and a pick but who the hell knows with NY.

Also, let me be clear that Zach is in no way my first choice for this team.

Last edited:
Alright, with the offseason having exploded onto this board, covering everything with rumor-mongering debris, i think it's time to come up with some basic common sense rules. I'll throw a few out there that i've felt like i had to post a few times already, then please, feel free to add yours.

1. No lazy fat guys.

AKA, the Zach Randolph Axiom. Overpaid guys who get by on sheer talent and don't do much to improve their game shouldn't be anywhere near the Cavs.

2. No long New York or New Jersey contracts

AKA, the Big Market Theorem. The Cavs should never, under any circumstances help possible Lebron destinations clear cap space for him.

3. No downhill superstars

AKA the Shaq-Kidd-Jerm Rule. This didn't work for the Suns or the Mavs and wouldn't work the Cavs. You basically get one shot, then are shackled with the gigantic deal. That's no way to build a team. The Cavs should be adding pieces now that could be around for years to come.

any more?

not to be picky, but that is only 3 commandments not 10, I feel i am owed 7 more commandments.:chuckles:

Here's a few to add on:

Openly Question Trade Targets Who Share Too Many Similarities to the GM. I concidered calling this the Jiri Welsch rule, just to shorten everything up. Paxson traded a first rounder for a late second-round talent. Why? He thought a shooting guard who has "basketball IQ" and a mid-range game would be perfect with LeBron. You can also call this the Donyell Marshall rule after Danny gave too many years to a veteran power forward who could stroke the three ball.

Never Mortgage the Future Have you noticed there is only one traded first rounder in this draft? When was the last time everyone kept their first rounders? As previously mentioned, demanding first rounders to complete deals has lost its wonton Isaiah Thomas charm. No one wants a roster that is old, financially secure, and never pushed in practice by young blood. Again, don't pull a Miami Heat because its not worth it.

Beware of Small Guards Over 30 Cavs fans were outraged that we traded Mark Price for a first rounder. I remember when Cavs forums wanted to swap out Z for Nick Van Exel. I remember when Damon Stoudemire was a bonafide point guard. Sure there are exceptions like AI, but generally the drop off is hard and steep.

I'm awaiting more suggestions from others, if not I will come up with more.

RK as me convinced, i'm adding is suggestions to the list. well thought-out and explained.

No absurd trade ideas like where the Cavs get 2 All-star players in exchange for Damon Jones, Ira Newble, Dwayne Jones, and our 1st rounder....

and yes, I know that Ira is no longer on the team... that's kinda the point. Try to use some common sense in the trade... does it fit the cap considerations.... would you do the same trade if you were the OTHER team.... are all the players and picks eligible to be traded?

and i much liked Benny's too.

siren.gif

Watch out for--> THE FRAUDULENT EUROS-- especially the ones everyone says "can shoot the lights out"... Those sneaky bastards are very rarely worth a damn, are slow, finesse players, with poor basketball IQ's that have no desire to defend, and have virtually nothing to offer a team.. Only a select handful are useful to their team, and rest assure they will not be available in any form or fashion.. They may show flashes and promise in practice, but stay away from these frauds and resist the urge..

Phew, for a moment, i thought you were dissing me there...

:D

siren.gif

Watch out for--> THE FRAUDULENT EUROS-- especially the ones everyone says "can shoot the lights out"... Those sneaky bastards are very rarely worth a damn, are slow, finesse players, with poor basketball IQ's that have no desire to defend, and have virtually nothing to offer a team.. Only a select handful are useful to their team, and rest assure they will not be available in any form or fashion.. They may show flashes and promise in practice, but stay away from these frauds and resist the urge..

Pip just described Luke Jackson to a "T".

excuse me, but white =/= euro. just ask Ronny Turiaf.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."