• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 Browns Mock Draft Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MoFlo

Hall-of-Famer
RCF Honored Elder
Reaction score
Matt Miller:

1.) Cleveland Browns

The Pick: QB DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

Cody Kessler has impressed in limited playing time for the Cleveland Browns, but the new regime must make decisions for the long-term health of the NFL's only winless team. That means adding a legitimate franchise quarterback when the chance is there for it.

Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer isn't playing on a dominant team, but neither was Jared Goff a year ago, and he still ended up going No. 1 overall. Kizer is a much more impressive physical specimen than Goff too. He brings a Cam Newton-sized arm and excellent athleticism to the position in combination with a heady, instinctive style of quarterbacking from the pocket and on the go.

Kizer, just a redshirt sophomore, isn't a lock to enter this year's draft, but he currently ranks atop the class of eligible passers.

32.) Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles)

The Pick: CB Desmond King, Iowa

The Cleveland Browns kicked off this draft with the selection of DeShone Kizer and end the first round with Desmond King of Iowa.

The Browns have holes all over the place, which makes a selection at cornerback smart in many ways. It's both a need and a value pick at the end of Round 1, as King has the ball skills and technique to play in a man or zone scheme right away. He's also a need for a team that needs to get younger and more aggressive in the secondary.

Drafting to help Joe Haden and then eventually replace him as the No. 1 cornerback on the roster is the kind of move the Browns wouldn't have made in the past, but they should with a smarter, more levelheaded crew running the show.

CBS Sports:
Rob Rang:

1.Cleveland Browns

DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame: The Browns have started 26 different quarterbacks since rejoining the NFL in 1999, including rookieCody Kessler, who struggled in his first NFL start in Miami in Week 3. Unless the rookie (or his in-game replacementTerrelle Pryor) performs better down the stretch, the Browns will surely be drafting another QB in 2017. Just a redshirt sophomore, Kizer remains quite raw but he possesses the most exciting blend of size, arm talent, mobility and poise among this year's draft-eligible quarterbacks and, as such, is very much in play for No. 1 overall.

29. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia)

Desmond King, CB, Iowa:
Questions about his pure speed pushed King back to Iowa for his senior season (despite his winning the Thorpe Award) and it could push him down the board on draft day, as well. While perhaps lacking in this area, King's instincts, physicality and ball skills are top notch and the Browns showed a preference in the 2016 for players with strong resumes.

I am going to throw up at the sight of other people throwing up.

So Deshone Kizer- I never watch ND is he as good as the kid from Louisville?

I am going to throw up at the sight of other people throwing up.

So Deshone Kizer- I never watch ND is he as good as the kid from Louisville?

More polished passer.

The Louisville kid (I say we call him Lamar Jackson) is very fast, Michasel Vick fast with an incredible strong arm, but he isnt per-say a true pocket passer.

Kizer really looks the part on his mechanics and delivery in my opinion. That said, I am not sold on him. Something just seems a bit off.

LOLOL. Miller has Phili winning the super bowl?

Also..
Drafting to help Joe Haden and then eventually replace him as the No. 1 cornerback on the roster is the kind of move the Browns wouldn't have made in the past, but they should with a smarter, more levelheaded crew running the show.

Umm, isn't that what they tried to do with Gilbert?

They're just going off of record at this point, guys.

Calm down on the projections meaning something.

Let's all take a deep breath and relax.

Well, I think Kizer is the best QB in this draft, so Id be okay with that...

But please no more first round corners. Pass Rush is king.

Well, I think Kizer is the best QB in this draft, so Id be okay with that...

But please no more first round corners. Pass Rush is king.

Pass rush would be nice, but we've been trying that since '99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Browns sit atop the draft come the off-season, Myles Garrett is simply the only logical choice.

Game-changing talent. Every game.

Better than Von Miller as a prospect, for me. One of the best pure pass rushing prospects to ever come into the draft.

For me, it's between him and Julius Peppers for best of the last 25 years.

Not really sure how "we've been trying" pass rush since '99.

The team has made 21 first round picks since coming back and only three of those have been spent on a pass rusher. One was Courtney Brown, one was Kamerion Wimbley and one was Barkevious Mingo. Of the three, only Brown was the consensus top pass rusher available when the Browns picked. In 2006, Mario Williams went first overall and in 2013, Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah went before Mingo.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."