• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Windhorst Radio Show & Updates

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Brian Windhorst on the Golden Boyz radio show
November 30, 2016
(after Bucks game and before Clippers game)
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play/_/id/18175469

* Cavs played well against the Bucks for about 8 minutes, then they decided they were done for the night.
* This was the first time this season that there was an "egregious" lack of focus by the Cavs in a game.
* This is not the last time you will see such a lack of focus during this season by the Cavs.
* If Lue were honest, he'd probably say he's happy that the team looked bad against the Bucks.
* The Cavs' effort and JR talking to Jason Terry gave Lue a chance to rip the team.
* Lue hates fraternizing with the opponent. Got upset when LeBron did this with Wade in Miami last year.
* Lue does not believe in fraternizing with the opponent during the game.
* I think the loss to the Bucks could turn out to be a positive thing for the Cavs in the end (by making them regain focus).
* HOST 1: Last night was hard to watch. Bucks did whatever they wanted.
* I think the Bucks had like 13 dunks in the game.
* You will have bad nights. This is particularly true because the Cavs shoot so many threes (so some nights you will not shoot well).
* But, the lack of resistance the Cavs showed against the Bucks and letting the Bucks show them up with the dunks was striking.
* Lue may regret giving team so much leeway (recently had a lot of time off, went to OSU game, etc).
* But after Bucks debacle, Lue probably tightened the ship (early practice, etc).
* HOST 2: Will Bucks' length be a problem for the Cavs in the future, or was the loss more about Cavs' lack of focus?
* Well, the Bucks played the best game they've played in like a year and a half last night.
* I know people in the Bucks' organization who haven't smiled that wide in a long time. Because they beat the champs.
* The threat(s) to take over Best Player In The East from LeBron are Giannis (and Kyrie).
* Giannis is developing into a monster.
* The Bucks are not that good; the Cavs should handle them.
* HOST 1: Why weren't there more fans at the Bucks game?
* I have noticed some fan attendance erosion in Milwaukee, Philadelphia and New Orleans.
* It is worrisome, the attendance issues in Milwaukee. Especially since they're building a new arena there soon.
* I think what happened in the Nets game that Doc Rivers got kicked out of was that the older male ref was protecting the female ref.
* People in the league are talking about the Doc Rivers ejection today.

Hey Windy
December 3, 2016

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play/_/id/18193691

* I'm in Chicago, site of the carnage last night.
* HOST: What's going on with the Cavs?
* For the first time all year, I think the Cavs were genuinely mad after the game last night.
* (Windy's audio drops out)
* The mood in the locker room was dour last night.
* First time Cavs been mad about anything since after Game 4 in The Finals last year.
* I'm not freaking out at all about the losing streak.
* There are short and long term issues right now.
* Short term, the defensive intensity is embarrassing. And it's ubiquitous; all through the team.
* LeBron's rotations and interest in helping on defense is just not there right now.
* LeBron sets the tone for everyone else, so his attitude matters.
* I'm not surprised LeBron's not interested right now, but these months matter for things like MVP.
* Cavs gave up 78 points in the paint last night. That's an NBA high for regulation play this year.
* Cavs gave up 58 points in the paint in the first half last night.
* Cavs are not playing good help defense right now.
* I'm not expecting LeBron to go all-out in November and December.
* At some point you have to put your foot down, though.
* Lue is going with a smaller lineup and that makes you vulnerable inside on defense.
* You can play great offense with Small Ball, but can you play enough defense to win?
* Teams are catching up with the Cavs' defense. Knowing how to attack their defense.
* Cavs perimeter defense has been horrible, and the back of the defense/help defense isn't cleaning things up.
* HOST: What's up with Tristan? He seems non-existent on defense. Is it just because he's small?
* The team is designed to be good at PNR defense (Tristan switching, etc).
* But teams are just beating Cavs straight up now, when Cavs on defense. Not need to draw switches on PNR's.
* Lue said after Bulls loss that we may need to re-examine our schemes on defense.
* Cavs swapped Frye for Mozgov, basically, and that has changed how Cavs can play defense.
* Warriors are small but they are working to block shots because they know they're small.
* Cavs had 4 days off so that Gilbert could do his annual benefit event in Detroit.
* TWEETER: Can Birdman help out all? He looks out of shape.
* If you want to laugh, go back to like 2011 and look at how Birdman looked then compared to now (gained weight since then).
* Cavs did not find replacements for Delly or Mozzy, that's true. But the roster is not flawed. Highest payroll in NBA history.
* Cavs roster still has a lot of advantages.
* Cavs roster can overcome all challenges. But some opponents will give them problems. But need to work harder.
* HOST: Is the team "old"?
* Yes and no. Average age on team is old, but you have younger guys like Love, Kyrie, etc.
* The bench does not have a lot of young energy, that's true.
* TWEETER: What do Cavs need to do in order to shake out of this funk? More pace?
* My guess is Cavs' pace will get lower as the season goes on. LeBron not usually on high-pace teams.
* LeBron played 45 minutes last night, but he took like 25 minutes off in the game.
* It was an effort thing for the team, not fatigue. Yes, back to back. But team has played fewest games in the NBA so far. They've rested.
* HOST: LeBron seems to be turning the ball over a lot lately.
* You think 8 TO's is a bit high? (sarcasm).
* LeBron did make some bad passes last night.
* Team has been too loosey-goosey on defense, and also with turnovers.
* CALLER: I don't like the Cavs taking so much time off; Cavs not focused like the Warriors are focused right now.
* I heard that after the Cavs took 4 days off, they had 2 terrible practices in a row. No effort.
* So, Cavs had time off on consecutive weekends (think he said) and they totally lost their rhythm/effort.
* HOST: So, all the time off and fun events may have cost the Cavs their rhythm?
* Well, they were 12-2. So you can see why Lue gave them time off. But Cavs have not responded well to having that time off.
* Cavs have completely lost their rhythm and their intensity on defense since the time off.
* Much of Cavs' problems are self-inflicted.
* CALLER: I think we'll be better in the playoffs. But not sure it'll be enough to win the title. We play with only like 8 rotation guys, though. The bench is weak. What's going on with Tristan?
* Great call.
* Dunleavy giving the team nothing is hurting. Because they lost two bench contributors, and Dunleavy was basically what they got for those two (Delly and Mozzy).
* I do think the Cavs need another player. A ball handler. But not sure where they will get that guy.
* Cavs had "eggs in the basket" with McRae and Dunleavy. But it has not worked out, with either guy.
* Typically, guys at Dunleavy's age "lose it" for good.
* I hope Dunleavy's issues are just an adjustment thing and he'll come around.
* Tristan is averaging a career high in blocks.
* Also, Tristan is being used differently as center. They don't use him at all on offense.
* Cavs want guys who can stretch the floor. Tristan doesn't fit that.
* Tristan's role is changing (de-emphasized more on offense), I think he's dealing with that now.
* HOST: McRae doesn't seem to be getting more meaningful minutes. Does he need more chances?
* He hasn't earned more minutes.
* Against the Bulls, Lue only played 8 guys. Dunleavy concussion, and McRae just not played.
* McRae has not delivered when given the chance.
* Cavs were hoping McRae could be a 3D guy, like Shumpert is.
* Cavs really had high hopes for McRae coming into camp. But hasn't taken the next step.
* So: Dunleavy letdown, McRae not taking next step, lack of backup point guard issues have shown some cracks in Cavs' roster.
* But, the season won't be determined by the 9th guy in the rotation.
* Cavs have another weekend off this weekend.
* I think the Cavs' soft playing schedule (weekends off) has made the team soft.
* Raptors feel their only chance to win against Cavs in the playoffs is to have homecourt.
* So, Raptors will go all-out in the game coming up. To try to have shot at the tiebreaker, etc.
* CALLER: When do Cavs need to turn it on?
* Monday night is important to me (vs Raptors).
* I thought the Cavs would really be intense against the Bulls. But they weren't.
* Clippers played great against the Cavs, so that was kind of a throwaway game (Clips were really sharp).
* There was way too much coverage of LeBron wearing the Cubs jersey yesterday.
* The Cavs were mad last night. Really mad. First time since Game 4 against the Warriors.
* So, Monday will be interesting. Both teams should be locked in.
* I think that game will be extremely intense.
* Cavs have film today, practice tomorrow.
* LeBron is very serious about all of his business ventures.
* He drinks Gatorade, but tears off the label and so forth. Because he has a deal with Coke.
* LeBron was the most active Cavs player against the Bulls, and played a good game even with his mistakes.
* Cavs need to build good habits back.
* Cavs lost their good habits during their time off, and need to get them back.

Last edited:
McRae was supposed to be our next diamond in the rough? Yeah about that...

Some one tell our scouts to keep huntin!

Hey Windy
December 10, 2016

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play/_/id/18248337

* I have done 00.0% of my Christmas shopping at this time.
* Whiteside (not a Windy favorite) got pulled out of the Cavs game last night like 3 minutes into the second half because he was playing poorly.
* Heat had only 8 guys dressed. That's the NBA minimum for guys a team has to have dressed.
* Cavs stepped on the Heat's throat, as they should have.
* Hornets game will be a challenge.
* Next few games will be a challenge for the Cavs.
* Last night was another fantastic performance from Kevin Love.
* Cavs stretching the floor with Love really bothered the Heat.
* Cavs took Whiteside and his shotblocking out of the equation yesterday by stretching the floor.
* Channing Frye is away from the team for a few days as he attends his father's funeral.
* Love had back spasms before the Heat game, was a gametime decision.
* "Love is just having such a fantastic season."
* I still think there is room for growth for Love, because LeBron is getting him great shots.
* There is a high level of comfort now for LeBron with Love and Frye.
* I was at the Knicks game in New York.
* I know the Knicks gameplanned for Channing Frye. But they still couldn't cover him and LeBron was finding him.
* Frye and Love know where to go on the floor, and LeBron knows how to get them the ball in those spots.
* LeBron just keeps getting Frye and Love good perimeter shots over and over again.
* LeBron is averaging 35% from three, which is much better than where he was at last year.
* Love is playing awesome.
* Love is back to the 20/10 guy he was earlier in his career.
* A 22/11 guy (Love) is a max player.
* LeBron said after the game last night that this is the best Kevin Love has played in career.
* Reporters told that to Love, and Love said, basically, I had some good years in Minny also so check the stats.
* Love had like a 26/13 year in Minny.
* The Kevin Love that we're seeing now is the player the Cavs traded for; this version of him.
* Three guys averaging 22+ PPG is terrific.
* TWEETER: Will Love finally be an All-Star in the East?
* I think so, yes. But I have not broken down the list.
* As of today, Love will make the team for sure.
* TWEETER: Are Cavs banking on Kay Felder being a key contributor this season?
* No. They are not.
* I talked about the things I like with the Cavs already, now here are some of the things I don't like with the Cavs right now.
* I'm worried about the Cavs' bench.
* Cavs are not getting anything from Mike Dunleavy.
* Teams are now backing off of Dunleavy (daring him to shoot).
* Richard Jefferson has been ok, but not as good as he was last year.
* Jefferson is not as dynamic as he was a year ago.
* The scouts say that Jefferson has gotten old (since last year), that he's slowed down.
* So, Dunleavy and Jefferson are two wing spots that the Cavs are not getting anything from.
* JR has had a miserable season so far (so another wing that's struggling).
* I think the Cavs will want to get a backup point guard, but if you look at the big picture the Cavs need another athlete at the wing spot.
* Cavs need another athletic wing to be able to match up against the Warriors and succeed in the playoffs.
* Liggins is looking good because he's a live body (young, athletic). Not doing anything special but does provide this dimension.
* Lue has gone through the whole roster looking for guys who can contribute.
* Shumpert is having a fine year. I'd still like him to be more consistent on defense, though.
* Cavs should focus their energy on trying to get a young, live-body, athletic wing player that they could play for 7 minutes against the Warriors.
* CALLER: Could Norris Cole help out?
* Cole got no good NBA offers this year. He signed in China.
* Cole was cut by his Chinese team. Not sure what's going on with him right now.
* Cavs chose not to pursue Cole.
* Cavs need athletes who can defend the wing. That's their number one priority. Cole doesn't help with that.
* Also, Cole isn't a reliable shooter.
* You'd like to have a point guard who can shoot so as to force the defense to defend the three point line.
* Cavs system is dependent on having five live shooters on the court at the same time to stretch the defense.
* Cole can't help in that regard.
* I think Kay Felder does have a chance in the league.
* When you come to the NBA, you get shocked by the physical differences (from college).
* Also, Felder shocked by the size difference from college players to NBA players.
* Felder may figure it out, but it could take him like 3-4 years to do so.
* Kay Felder is on the Cavs because Dan Gilbert loves him.
* When Gilbert checks on the team, he wants to know how Kay Felder is doing.
* Kay Felder will get a chance to stay on the team because Gilbert wants that.
* But currently, Felder is not getting it done.
* I'm going to tell Cavs fans to worry less about backup point guards, and think more about how to get a 6' 7" or 6' 8" wing player.
* HOST: What is the deal with Cedi Osman?
* Cavs say that there is more interest in Osman than any other of their available assets.
* Osman is playing in Turkey. He is supposedly going to come to the NBA next year.
* Osman shoots great. But he doesn't rebound or pass well.
* Osman is like many European prospects. Excellent shooter, maybe not at talented in terms of NBA physicality and playing the floor game.
* Key with Osman is what could he possibly bring to the Cavs in a trade now.
* My understanding is that Osman's trade value has never been higher.
* I don't think the Cavs can take on much more salary, though, unless they dump some salary money.
* Cavs' payroll is too high.
* So, I think the Cavs would have to, for example, get rid of Mo Williams' contract before they picked up another player.
* Cavs don't have a second-round pick until 2021.
* Cavs don't have a first-round pick they could trade until 2020.
* So, Osman is an asset that might attract some teams to make a deal with the Cavs (since Cavs not have much else to offer right now).
* TWEETER: Do you expect JR to come off the bench when he returns, because Liggins is playing well?
* No, I don't think so. They may bring him off the bench when he first returns.
* I think the Cavs should rest JR as much as possible until he is healthy.
* JR is a starter; he should start. He will be the starter.
* Lue has tried Dunleavy and McRae (searching for help).
* I don't think McRae has played well at all.
* McRae got a good 10-game run in the 8-man rotation, and he just wasn't able to deliver.
* Lue then tried Kay Felder, and that didn't work either. So Lue went to Liggins sort of out of desperation.
* Liggins is on the Cavs because he was the best option they could find on the scrap heap for a wing athlete.
* Wing athletes are not easy to find.
* Liggins has been in and out of the NBA for the last 4-5 years.
* Hopefully Liggins continues to play well, but I don't think you can count on it.
* HOST: Did the Cavs crush the Raptors confidence in these three games early this season?
* I've spent a lot of time around the Raptors; they are obsessed with the Cavs.
* The Raptors have now lost 7/9 games to the Cavs.
* I think the Raptors have to make a decision about whether they want to stick with this roster or make a trade (to match up with Cavs).
* The Cavs have shut down the Raptors confidence in a big way.
* HOST: Where are the Knicks at? Are they a contender in the East?
* No, they're just another team.
* It was laughable that people were upset regarding the Water Bottle Challenge in New York.
* The thing to be upset about is how bad the Knicks played in that game. Don't worry about the Cavs.
* (Gives David Blatt update; talking about Osman and the Turkish League. The team Blatt coaches in the Turkish League).
* Blatt is making a lot of money, but the team doesn't draw many fans.
* HOST: Why did LeBron seem so touchy when asked about not staying at the Trump hotel in New York?
* I don't think LeBron was happy that the information about the Trump hotel (not staying there) became public.
* Sometimes LeBron wants to get information out to the media, but I don't think this was one of those times.
* LeBron was not alone in not staying at the Trump hotel.
* Most of the Cavs stayed at the Trump hotel.
* The Trump hotel in New York (SoHo) is not owned by Trump
* TWEETER: Could we trade for Jeremy Lin or a big such as Nerlens Noel?
* Lin is out of the picture; he's like the second-best player on the Nets.
* Lin is not available.
* Lin is very important to the Nets' marketing efforts.
* Lin has a man bun. That's big in Brooklyn.
* Lin is very popular with the hipsters in Brooklyn. He's bringing in a lot of fans in Brooklyn. It's impressive.
* Yes, I think the Cavs need another ball handler. But I think their priority is another wing.
* Lin would be great for the Cavs. But it's not going to happen.
* As far as Noel, I think the Cavs are pretty happy with their big men right now.
* Cavs would love to have a better 7' third-string center than Andersen, but you do what you can.
* Frye is having a great season; Tristan is doing what he does. Cavs like him as the starter.
* CALLER: What about PJ Tucker from the Suns as a wing? Could we take on Tyson Chandler's contract as well?
* The Cavs would love to get their hands on PJ Tucker.
* David Griffin loves PJ Tucker.
* Griffin brought in Tucker to Phoenix when Griffin was in Phoenix.
* Griffin has been looking for ways to get Tucker for awhile. He had looked for ways to get Frye for a long time, also.
* Like Tucker, Griffin has a Phoenix connection with Frye as well.
* Tucker is a rough and tumble guy.
* Tucker was in training camp with the Cavs like 7-8 years ago.
* When the Cavs play the Suns, Tucker and LeBron tend to talk to one another. So there seems like a relationship there.
* Tucker is in the last year of his contract at $5M. So he is a potential buyout candidate. And could get traded, possibly.
* Tucker does want to go to a team where he will play, though. Because he has to think of his next contract (needs to showcase himself).
* This is like Joe Johnson last year. He wanted to go somewhere where he could play a lot. Tucker in a similar spot.
* Tucker is a great name for the Cavs.
* Tyson Chandler, though, is not a good fit. He has a lot of money left and he's done as a player.
* TWEETER: Do you think LeBron wants to be the all-time leading scorer in the NBA?
* I think he'd love to be, but I don't think he's going to get there. It's theoretically possible, though.
* LeBron's son (Bronny) is 12 years old now.
* It's possible LeBron could play with Bronny in the NBA, if Bronny makes the NBA.
* If LeBron is healthy, I see no reason why he can't play at age 39 (when Bronny is 19 and eligible for the NBA).
* I don't think LeBron will keep up the scoring pace to catch Kareem, especially if LeBron stays with the Cavs.
* Because Kyrie is going to score more and more now, and LeBron is likely to taper off in scoring in the time to come.
* The scoring pace that Kareem set was amazing. Not sure LeBron can match that pace.
* But I do think LeBron can be in the top 3 of all-time scorers. That would be amazing.
* TWEETER: Who is the most formidable challenge to the Cavs in the East?
* The Cavs currently have no threat to them in the East.
* I actually think the Bucks give the Cavs the most problems because they are so athletic.
* But, the Bucks won't be able to beat the Cavs when it matters in the playoffs.
* TWEETER: Could Quinn Cook be an option for the Cavs at point guard?
* Cook is an elite scorer, but he can't play point guard and he's not a great defender.
* I think the Cavs need a guy who can defend.
* Cook will be in the NBA this year, though, whether it's with the Cavs or someone else.
* TWEETER: Do you think Westbrook will win the MVP if he keeps up his current level?
* Yes, if he plays like this. But no player has won MVP on a team with less than 50 wins since 1982.
* Usually, MVP goes to one of the best players on one of the 2-3 best teams in the league.
* But, Westbrook could overcome this.
* I like the orange jerseys the Cavs wore last night, but the traditional wine and gold ones are my favorite.
* Check out the Cavs 1980's intro video. It's great. It's all over the place now.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Windy that the Cavs are more vulberable at the backup wing spot than the backup point guard spot considering the team they will likely face in June. This is why the emergence of Liggins is even more important...he could make up for the underwhelming play of Dunleavy and Jefferson.

Yeah, backup PG ranks 3rd for me behind wing and rim protector in terms of importance to our team.

I disagree with Windhorst here. Cook can play the point guard position. He's been better on defense this season so far.

I totally agree with Windy that the Cavs are more vulberable at the backup wing spot than the backup point guard spot considering the team they will likely face in June. This is why the emergence of Liggins is even more important...he could make up for the underwhelming play of Dunleavy and Jefferson.

Myself and @gourimoko have been stating this. Wing player, wing player, wing player.

Everything else is a clear distance behind that.

Don't care at all about the backup point guard, or lack of rim protection. These are needs, but aren't keeping us from winning a title.

Myself and @gourimoko have been stating this. Wing player, wing player, wing player.

Don't care at all about the backup point guard, or lack of rim protection. These are needs, but aren't keeping us from winning a title.

The argument would be that Shump could be a pretty good wing player if he wasn't futzing around as the point. If you add a wing player you probably need to find someone to take Dunleavy, because, like, if he doesn't play the 3, he doesn't play.

I agree an athletic wing is important, but a good backup PG could solve similar issues. PRobably put both behind a serviceable rim protector with a bit of pick & pop. We have enough no range bigs.

I know both @gourimoko and @godfather want us to get one more wing player but the issue is good wing players are almost impossible to find. The teams are willing to trade away a wing player would want the kind of assets we simply don't have. Our best hope is either getting wings who are good shooters but can't defend well or wings who defend well but are poor shooters.

That is why I feel, a back-up PG is what we should be after because it is more getable and it would automatically promote Shump to the 3&D wing that we are desperate for. Hypothetically, we can't get a better 3&D wing than Shump. But the key is him continuing his form.

I agree, Cavs don't need a wing.
I would rather have a backup PG obviously or a rim protector. a SF/PF like Jared Dudley/PJ Tucker would be nice too.

Add me to this list.

In the playoffs, we can stagger minutes so that LeBron or Kyrie is always on the court, and LeBron will play a healthy amount of PF. It's not good that Lue didn't trust Frye vs GS last year, but maybe he can get some run vs West/Andy.

To beat GS, you need as many athletic, 6/'6-6'8 defenders as you can. It's a bonus if they can shoot, but the rest of team can handle scoring.

Add me to this list.

In the playoffs, we can stagger minutes so that LeBron or Kyrie is always on the court, and LeBron will play a healthy amount of PF. It's not good that Lue didn't trust Frye vs GS last year, but maybe he can get some run vs West/Andy.

To beat GS, you need as many athletic, 6/'6-6'8 defenders as you can. It's a bonus if they can shoot, but the rest of team can handle scoring.
Wasn't a matter of trust. Before the finals remember Kerr saying Frye was the key to our unstoppable form so far in the playoffs. Which is why they made sure to attack Frye relentlessly. Lue's hand was forced. He won't bench a floor spacer otherwise

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance