• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kevin Love Trade Ideas

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I don't think many teams would be interested in bringing Rondo on board. We could allow them to dump Rondo on us and hope to all hope that Lue can get through to him. I have no faith in that though and just doing it for Butler. Butler and Rondo for Love and Shump works. I'd imagine we would toss cedi in there as well.

We can do a separate deal with our trade exception to take on Mirotic who is pretty useless and we know they're shopping. That is assuming they are just trying to dump him. I don't think anybody would give up a first rounder for him.

Us being willing to take on trash could swing a deal in our favor. Of course Dan would have to be willing to eat some luxury tax.

Reactions: Zog
I say it's a good thing we are bringing over Osman next year. If it looks like he can play, that would increase any deal involving both him and Love, for a better player.
I've been thinking about Osman's trade potential though and if we're inclined to trade him at all it might be advantageous to do it before he makes the jump to the NBA. There's always the chance that Osman sucks and we essentially have nothing.

It's a risk-reward kind of thing, not unlike the thought process that went behind trading trading Wiggins for Love. Osman is unproven, whereas there are several players right now who we know could help us. Is it worth it? I'm sure the FO is weighing it mightily.

I honestly would take George over Butler on this team. He shoots the three at a much better rate on a much higher number of attempts. I don't feel like he needs the ball in his hands to be effective, Butler I feel does need the ball to be effective.

George would be like having Love minus the post game and obviously not the rebounding but with far superior defense. Butler would be more like Wade was in Miami, someone who does a lot of the same things LeBron does, but not as well. He's also taller than Butler so he's probably able to defend the post a bit better.

If you are starting a team from scratch, most people probably take Butler, but I don't think he fits that well here with Kyrie and LeBron.
Great post. I agree with everything here.

Would still take Jimmy on this team in a second though. But yeah, I'd rather have PG.

Reactions: Zog
Of course Dan would have to be willing to eat some luxury tax.
Griff said on the radio last week if he can go to ownership and tell them "this significantly improves our team" then ownership will have no problem allowing it. They just don't want to spend money for the sake of spending it.

One would think this move would qualify.

Another guy worth kicking the tires on is the slightly disappointing Paul George. I think he would be a great fit here and one would hope with a lesser burden to carry on offense he could shine. I wouldn't give us as much to obtain George as I would Butler because Butler is quite clearly the superior player.

Honestly I would sell the entire farm [except LeBron, Kyrie] to get PG if getting him was possible. Because not only is that a trade for now, imo it's also a trade for the future once LeBron slows down. A Kyrie/PG back-court is young [24, 26], talented, and complimentary. You can compete with them.

PG
Cousins
Butler

are the only 3 guys Id trade Love for in that order.

PG comes off the books earlier (1 yr), but is younger, more dynamic, and even a tad cheaper. Love has looked pretty bad the last few weeks IMO. I think there is much more to his back than what has been let on. The fit is there with Love, and his stats have been fantastic overall. I would find it hard to believe they'd move him though.

The thought of a motivated PG13 on this team is scary as fuck. Not only now, but in the future. IMO we would then, and only then need to move Shump for another PF. LBJ at 37.5 MPG is bad for his long term health....its even worse if he's playing those minutes at PF. The problem is, there isnt a lot out there that can be had for Shumps deal.

Love has to go. He is just a disaster waiting to happen. Cavs only assets are their own players and they need to maximize it right now.
The way this team is constructed it's going to be near impossible to beat GSW, especially with Lue running them into the ground.
Trading for Korver was a mistake, like I said. He doesn't solve the glaring issues the Cavs have and with the way the offense is being run right now(Iso oriented), he doesn't even get any open looks.

And you guys thought he was going to be open 24/7. Matter of fact is, Atlanta was the team that generated the most open looks last season. They had two great big men playmakers in Millsap and Horford and a decent playmaker in Teague. TT just doesn't see the court as well and just can't make the pass to the open 3pt shooter and Love as much as he is a great outlet passer also misses some open shooters.

Love has to go.

What?

He is just a disaster waiting to happen.

How many 20/10 guys are there in the Eastern Conference?

Cavs only assets are their own players and they need to maximize it right now.

By trading their 3rd best player, who is only 28 years old, and is on a phenomenal contract? For who, exactly?

The way this team is constructed it's going to be near impossible to beat GSW,

Fuck outta here.

especially with Lue running them into the ground.

Because the Finals are tomorrow.

He completely ignores the dude is not healthy. But gour, he's been the hot take king on this board, so what do we expect?

What?

How many 20/10 guys are there in the Eastern Conference?

By trading their 3rd best player, who is only 28 years old, and is on a phenomenal contract? For who, exactly?

Fuck outta here.

Because the Finals are tomorrow.

So what if Love is 28 years old? I'm 26 years old and I have a worse back than a 50 year old. Age isn't an absolute measure to good health and Love has chronic back problems and from my experience it gets worse. Especially if you are a white athlete with sub optimal posture and have to play 82 games a season.

Cavs currently have holes they need to fill and they lack the assets to do it. Love doesn't help the Cavs against their biggest opponent and so the Cavs have to see what's out there. There are a lot of options on the market and his contract is a huge deal along with his current value and should benefit the Cavs in trade talks.

I don't want to see the Cavs get stuck with a player with chronic health problems locked to a long term contract with no significant trade value and add in the fact that he doesn't move the needle against GSW and you got yourself a good candidate for a trade.

He completely ignores the dude is not healthy. But gour, he's been the hot take king on this board, so what do we expect?

How did I ignore the fact that he isn't healthy? I said he was a disaster waiting to happen because of his chronic health issues. That's the basis of my take. I thought I wrote something about his back problems but I guess I didn't. I thought it was implied.. my bad.
He has had back problems On/Off for 3 years now.. It's not going to change and you make it sound like it's temporary.

Every hot take I made was in fact correct. Show me where I was wrong.

How did I ignore the fact that he isn't healthy? I said he was a disaster waiting to happen because of his chronic health issues. That's the basis of my take. I thought I wrote something about his back problems but I guess I didn't. I thought it was implied.. my bad.
He has had back problems On/Off for 3 years now.. It's not going to change and you make it sound like it's temporary.

He's had them for years. Back spasms come and go. Now, if this is leading up to something more serious, sure, that's troubling. At this point, I'm not sure we can go there yet... I don't think he should be playing. I think that's a mistake on our part personally.

Besides, what the hell are we going to trade him for? Paul and Butler? Yeah, I'd be that for, but those teams wouldn't.

People want always get rid of players, but for whom? You got to have players that make sense.

Love is still an all-star player, not a bum.

He's had them for years. Back spasms come and go. Now, if this is leading up to something more serious, sure, that's troubling. At this point, I'm not sure we can go there yet... I don't think he should be playing. I think that's a mistake on our part personally.

Besides, what the hell are we going to trade him for? Paul and Butler? Yeah, I'd be that for, but those teams wouldn't.

People want always get rid of players, but for whom? You got to have players that make sense.

Love is still an all-star player, not a bum.

I know. Love is certianly not a bum and detrimental to this team. PG13 is an option, he really isn't remotely happy in Indiana and the 4 is one of their weakest positions. I would make Love available in trades, especially when you have so many disgruntled players on the market.
I don't know what to tell you though, I'm pretty sure keeping Love is not the way to go but when teams usually trade their superstars/all-stars it's usually for a rebuild.
Paul does solve almost everything for us and it's not a pipe dream, especially with his current situation but I'm not sure where the Pacers are going.

Paul George would have to happen next year. He's got another year left. And I think this Osman kid has to be good, or have promise. I think you hope an Osman and Love deal would be enticing.

I do think George is more realistic than Butler. But I think Osman has to come over and show something IMO. Love alone won't get either player IMO. And of course he can't show he's breaking down. I sure hope he isn't.

Look past the numbers and watch how Love is moving on the court. At times
he moves with the mobility of the Tin Man. On some of the loose balls and long rebounds in his vicinity last night he was barely bending from the waist and his gait seemed restricted. I'd like to see him skip the All Star game
and see what happens as the season winds toward the playoffs.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."