• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Open Discussion (Cavs + related issues)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I've been thinking and right now with our roster composition I think if I'm a rival team I just make the game nasty.

We have no type of enforcement.
At least with moz Kahn birdman and perk we had the ability to put a big guy out there to busy someone up if things got chippy but right now we have a roster of fragile finnese guys

I've been thinking and right now with our roster composition I think if I'm a rival team I just make the game nasty.

We have no type of enforcement.
At least with moz Kahn birdman and perk we had the ability to put a big guy out there to busy someone up if things got chippy but right now we have a roster of fragile finnese guys

We have a logjam of guys in the 2-3 slot that can't create, can't shoot or both, to boot.

In no way do I think we're incapable of getting to the ECF with our team as constructed, but there are obvious weaknesses that need to be improved upon.

We have a logjam of guys in the 2-3 slot that can't create, can't shoot or both, to boot.

In no way do I think we're incapable of getting to the ECF with our team as constructed, but there are obvious weaknesses that need to be improved upon.

I just think we are in a situation like gs was in last year after bogut went down or after Andy went down before we got moz

So I have been really interested in defense lately. I started checking out the NBA.com stats for FG% against for different situations to find out if there's a statistical explanation for where our players are struggling most on defense.

First let's look at 3 point FG% against vs. what the opponent normally shoots. I'm only looking at our rotational players who have played 25 or more games for us to keep McRae, Felder, and James Jones from cluttering the data. Unfortunately that also excludes JR, but oh well.

Overall 3-point defense
VNpu8MO.png

So basically we are average at defending the 3. Taking a weighted average of the difference between what players shoot against us versus their season FG% from 3 yields us holding opponents to .31% less than their season average. Frye has been an absolute siege giving up 51.5% from 3 on about 2 attempts per game. Kyrie needs to improve. But very happy with TT, Shump, and Love. And obviously LBJ.

Ok so 3 point shooting defense is a tad above average. Let's check out 2 point shooting.

Overall 2 point defense
J86UFhD.png

So LBJ takes quite a tumble here, but important to keep in mind how few DFGA against both LBJ and Kyrie there are here.

Again TT does a good job here (and has actually greatly improved in his DFG% from last season which he should be commended for). Everyone is mostly hovering around slightly above average to slightly below average here, but we can also take a deeper look into distance to the basket.

< 6 feet from the basket
aICXB9h.png

So TT has really been excelling playing defense around the basket on a pretty large sample size of 6.2 DFGA per game which is a greatly encouraging sign. On the other hand literally everyone else (besides Channing) totally sucks within 6 feet of the basket, including LBJ. This is where our worst defensive difference in percentage occurs and where we really only have one player holding opponents to less of a shooting percentage than they average. This also confirms what we have seen where it often looks like a layup line out there.

So my contention is this. I really don't think our defense is all as bad as it's cracked up to be. I think we are just desperately missing someone other than TT to contest shots at the basket. TT plays <30 MPG and he is the only one even halfway competent at protecting within 6 feet of the basket besides Channing who gets roasted from 3 land.

I think not having a 5 that we can funnel drives into is what is killing this defense. And although that attempt would then go to the 5, that would take attempts away from our guards who are currently getting roasted at the rim
Great work here. I 100% agree with your findings.
As far as bigs go we are way too reliant on Tristan defensively and Frye is getting a lot more minutes than he should be getting given his defensive shortcomings.

Team needs both a playmaker AND a defensive big man. Griffin's probably not done, but trades need to get done sooner than later to allow any new guys to acclimate themselves to the team.

I hear Denver is making (rebuffed) calls about Cedi. What do you guys think about Will Barton?

He's young, has a very serviceable jumper and is one of the better defenders on the Nugs. Plus he's on a very team friendly contract for the next 2 seasons

I hear Denver is making (rebuffed) calls about Cedi. What do you guys think about Will Barton?

He's young, has a very serviceable jumper and is one of the better defenders on the Nugs. Plus he's on a very team friendly contract for the next 2 seasons

Are you Will Barton?

Are \\u Will Barton?
lol not even. But I have read that he wants to stick it out in Denver. I mean I love Denver, but that just seemed like code for "I'm not really concerned about any trade rumors"

I'm more curious as to how valuable Cedi is and whether the FO has a role in mind for him since he's like our only trade asset that isn't on the team.

lol not even. But I have read that he wants to stick it out in Denver. I mean I love Denver, but that just seemed like code for "I'm not really concerned about any trade rumors"

I'm more curious as to how valuable Cedi is and whether the FO has a role in mind for him since he's like our only trade asset that isn't on the team.

Well, from a Cavs perspective, I'd trade Cedi for a wing that can defend. And by defend I mean someone who is at least 6'6 and can stay in front of Draymond Green while physically containing him. That's a tall order for a smaller-framed SG regardless of height.

We really need a PJ Tucker type if we're looking at defensive wings, and on the opposite end of the spectrum a guy like Tyreke Evans would fit very well here.

From what I've seen on a quick search, Barton's defensive metrics are not impressive.

Whatever defensive scheme they are employing, it has been utter shit.

They need to sort that out soon.

Well, New Orleans, Sacramento, Brooklyn on deck in the next 5 days.

I for one, welcome this week with open arms and look forward to the ass-beating at least a few these teams will be looking at. The Cavs are going to take Saturday out on somebody.
Maybe the next one? My hand is hovering over the panic button

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."