• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs vs. Boston -- 2017 Eastern Conference Finals

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who wins?

• Cavs in 4

Votes: 65 40.6%
  • Cavs in 5

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • Cavs in 6

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • Cavs in 7

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Celtics in 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Celtics in 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Celtics in 5

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Celtics in 4

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You guys think we would be favored against Boston?

I mean, they had the better record, would have home-court, and they have the highest-scoring player.

I think we would be up against it...
The Cavs have LeBron James and have rolled through the playoffs while Boston has been tested in both rounds.

If they play, Cleveland will be favored.

Got the full schedule for you folks!

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS - THIRD ROUND

(1) Boston Celtics vs. (2) Cleveland Cavaliers

Game 1 -- Wed. May 17, Cleveland at Boston, 8:30 p.m., TNT

Game 2 -- Fri. May 19, Cleveland at Boston, 8:30 p.m., TNT

Game 3 -- Sun. May 21, Boston at Cleveland, 8:30 p.m., TNT

Game 4 -- Tue. May 23, Boston at Cleveland, 8:30 p.m., TNT

Game 5 * Thu. May 25, Cleveland at Boston, 8:30 p.m., TNT

Game 6 * Sat. May 27, Boston at Cleveland, 8:30 p.m., TNT

Game 7 * Mon. May 29, Cleveland at Boston, 8:30 p.m., TNT

*if necessary

Last edited:
I would like to play Boston. If you stop Thomas then i don't see anybody who can beat you. And TT is owning Horford.

I honestly think Washington prepares you much better for Golden State. They have have three to four guys at an time that can shoot and two that can create. It is a mini version of curry Thomson Durant with wall beal porter. Not nearly as hard as to defend but as close as you will get.

I honestly think Washington prepares you much better for Golden State. They have have three to four guys at an time that can shoot and two that can create. It is a mini version of curry Thomson Durant with wall beal porter. Not nearly as hard as to defend but as close as you will get.

I was thinking this too but I also think that rest may be better for our squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking this too but I also think that rest may be better for our squad.

Due to not having home court I think the sweep vs Boston is less likely. I think the Wizzards series goes 6 maybe 5. I don't think there would be a huge difference. Either way we are probably looking at 5 days off as the Finals start a bit early at June first. If we could start the series a bit early like this weekend and finish in a week that woukd have been great. But the schedule does not allow it.

Due to not having home court I think the sweep vs Boston is less likely. I think the Wizzards series goes 6 maybe 5. I don't think there would be a huge difference. Either way we are probably looking at 5 days off as the Finals start a bit early at June first. If we could start the series a bit early like this weekend and finish in a week that woukd have been great. But the schedule does not allow it.

I see the Wizards putting up a fight like you said but I think 5 games max. I don't really think home court advantage is that big of a deal with Boston because we still have to win 2 games on their court to sweep. So it's just a flip flop scenario of when it's done not how it's done.

Wizards would be the tougher match up..as one commentator said they're like a poor man's Golden State.
But the Cavs will still beat them.

Our true mountain to climb is this GS traveling all-star team. Washington will help us prepare for that. Even though I believe that is easily the tougher series, it's what this team needs as final preparation for GS because I also feel like the Wiz approximate what the Warriors do.

I think this conversation is moot anyway because the Wiz are going to continue to roll those pretenders.

Washington is the tougher team. It's the difference between a sweep and a "competitive" sweep

@wuck I got confirmation on the series start date, and the NBA decided to make it as simple as possible just like they're doing for the WCF. If Celtics-Wizards goes 6 games, the ECF will start Monday night. If that series goes 7 games, the ECF will start Wednesday night.

I agree with what others have said about playing the Wizards being better for prepping for GS.

In both of the first two series we have ran trapping defenses to get the ball out of PGs/DDs hands. If we try to run that defense against GS, we will get lit up from three. It's effective in winning those games and sweeping those teams, but it won't work in the Finals. Similarly it won't work nearly as well against Washington. If we try to do that against Wall, he's likely to make a pass that gets Porter/Beal/Morris an open look.

I agree with what others have said about playing the Wizards being better for prepping for GS.

In both of the first two series we have ran trapping defenses to get the ball out of PGs/DDs hands. If we try to run that defense against GS, we will get lit up from three. It's effective in winning those games and sweeping those teams, but it won't work in the Finals. Similarly it won't work nearly as well against Washington. If we try to do that against Wall, he's likely to make a pass that gets Porter/Beal/Morris an open look.

I think we saw the blueprint last year for beating GSW. Get physical and slow the game to a crawl.

We'll switch everything vs. GSW, just like we did last year. Trapping them is the exact wrong move due to how many exceptional ball-handlers and passers they have. Trap Curry? He'll get it to Dray, who'll drive and kick to an open KD or Klay for an open 3. Trap someone else, and it's just a permutation of the first scenario.

That's not something we came close to worrying about in the first two rounds, and the back-to-back sweeps are indicative of the trap strategy's effectiveness in certain situations.

If we switch everything on GS, then what happens when Durant attacks the mismatch? He's not Harrison Barnes.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance