• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 NBA Draft - June 21

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
And we'll coordinated for that size perimeter player. Saw him take over the media day/ welcome party. He handled himself very well.
As a slovenian, you have to understand my desire to see him on our Cavs, but I sure hope we get to choose him or anyone else we see as the best(meaning we get the no1).
Nets please suck hard.

ESPN piece full of raves for all Doncic has accomplished at 18:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20668236/there-never-nba-draft-prospect-slovenia-luka-doncic

Didn't realize he was 6'8 228 pounds at age 18. Most young players that age are very skinny, haven't filled out yet. If he is 228 now he will be 250 in his prime and able to play every position except center.

As I said earlier, could even imagine him playing small-ball center. Within an inch or two of Kevin Love vertically, and he may not be done growing. And he has that solid frame that should continue to develop as he matures. Could be the poster boy of positionless basketball in a few years.

I don't know who to compare him to. Some old school players? Any ideas?

As I said earlier, could even imagine him playing small-ball center. Within an inch or two of Kevin Love vertically, and he may not be done growing. And he has that solid frame that should continue to develop as he matures. Could be the poster boy of positionless basketball in a few years.

Only concerns about him is he seems like a good but not great athlete in terms of explosion. Not that he can't be a really good player (ala Gallinarri as a floor for him with that kind of size) but at that size and skillset his comparables are going to be guys like Lebron and Giannis who are just freaks of nature in terms of athleticism.

Only concerns about him is he seems like a good but not great athlete in terms of explosion. Not that he can't be a really good player (ala Gallinarri as a floor for him with that kind of size) but at that size and skillset his comparables are going to be guys like Lebron and Giannis who are just freaks of nature in terms of athleticism.

Eh, as I said earlier, Jokic was the nail in the coffin for me when it comes to equating explosiveness to upside. There's more than one way to skin a cat in this game, and that's what makes it such a fantastic game.

Eh, as I said earlier, Jokic was the nail in the coffin for me when it comes to equating explosiveness to upside. There's more than one way to skin a cat in this game, and that's what makes it such a fantastic game.

Jokic doesn't need to create from the perimeter. Jokic has great measurements in terms of size and length, so he doesn't need athleticism as much.
It's much more common for an average to below average PF/C to be successful compared to a perimeter player. Can't think of many Superstars in the last 20 years that were not gifted athletically.

The only way he is going to be a suparstar is if he continues to improve his 3pt shot to an elite level and that will probably open up his driving game all by itself.

Jokic doesn't need to create from the perimeter. Jokic has great measurements in terms of size and length, so he doesn't need athleticism as much.
It's much more common for an average to below average PF/C to be successful compared to a perimeter player. Can't think of many Superstars in the last 20 years that were not gifted athletically.

The only way he is going to be a suparstar is if he continues to improve his 3pt shot to an elite level and that will probably open up his driving game all by itself.

Hell, I'm guilty of writing off Curry's superstar potential because he lacked elite athleticism in an era when hyperathletic point guards were taking the league by storm. That was dumb. If a guy can get the job done, he can get the job done.

If anything, my impression these days is that the guys who struggle to adjust to the NBA the most are the guys who use their pogostick athleticism as a trump card in college and then have to completely remake their game to be effective in the NBA. Guys who come in with good fundamentals on both ends and a polished skillset are better bets to succeed.

Hell, I'm guilty of writing off Curry's superstar potential because he lacked elite athleticism in an era when hyperathletic point guards were taking the league by storm. That was dumb. If a guy can get the job done, he can get the job done.

If anything, my impression these days is that the guys who struggle to adjust to the NBA the most are the guys who use their pogostick athleticism as a trump card in college and then have to completely remake their game to be effective in the NBA. Guys who come in with good fundamentals on both ends and a polished skillset are better bets to succeed.

That's why his floor is so high.. his game will surely translate to the NBA, but is it going to translate into superstardom or just an all-star? He has one big thing going for him and that's making others better.

That's why his floor is so high.. his game will surely translate to the NBA, but is it going to translate into superstardom or just an all-star? He has one big thing going for him and that's making others better.

That's the million (no, hundred million) dollar question. You never know when a guy's going to develop another elite skill. Who would've picked Kawhi to become a lights-out shooter a few years ago? Who would've picked Curry to lead the NBA in steals? Maybe Doncic has a growth spurt and becomes a more athletic Jokic. Maybe he becomes a lights-out 3-point shooter. Maybe his point guard skills take the leap to Magic Johnson level. I'll be waiting and watching and searching for clues as long as we hold this pick...

He actually reminds me of ........... you guessed it Paul Pierce: big body, good but not superb athlete, basically good skillset across the board

Doncic is a unique player so comps are hard. He's like a billionaires hedo turkolu. His ceiling is as the best unathletic white guy since Larry bird. He can shoot pass and board off the charts and does what it takes to win. This is definitely the most interesting draft since 03

Id take elite skills over elite athleticism any day. If you can combine the two you have a legendary player. Although you can have a legendary player without elite athleticism as well.

Doncic has great size on the perimeter which makes his lack of leaping ability a non issue to me. He's got handles to get wherever he wants weaving in and out of traffic and he should be a terrific shooter on and off the ball with that form of his.

Just his determination to play the game the right way is what is so special about him. Always a different solution. Elite 3pt shot should get him to do whatever he wants on the floor. But it seems he mostly already does that. I really have to see more of other top talent in the draft. Suck hard Nets, Suck hard.

Doncic reminds me of a more skilled Shaun Livingston.

Will kill smaller defenders in the post but Doncic has the added range in addition to that methodical floor game.

I'm struggling to think of a better comp than that, based on what my eyes tell me (Shaun Livingston with a bigger frame and range).

Doncic reminds me of a more skilled Shaun Livingston.

Will kill smaller defenders in the post but Doncic has range in addition to that methodical floor game.

I'm struggling to think of a better comp than that, based on what my eyes tell me (Shaun Livingston with a bigger frame and range).

err Paul Pierce :chuckle:.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."