• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Any electricians here?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hurl Bruce

Logmaster
Reaction score
I have a light switch that controls the porch light that I want to switch over to a timer switch.

That original light switch is a double switch, though, which also controls one of the wall plug outlets.

Is there a way to make it so that outlet is just on all the time instead of requiring that switch to be flipped?

The wiring in the outlet is on the older side, so I may send you a picture or two in a PM to make sure I don't fuck it up too badly.

I have a light switch that controls the porch light that I want to switch over to a timer switch.

That original light switch is a double switch, though, which also controls one of the wall plug outlets.

Is there a way to make it so that outlet is just on all the time instead of requiring that switch to be flipped?

The wiring in the outlet is on the older side, so I may send you a picture or two in a PM to make sure I don't fuck it up too badly.

I would recommend getting a smart light bulb ($30 on Amazon). Make sure it’s outdoor rated.

You then control the bulb via your phone with an app. You’ll be able to set any schedule you want and also dim the bulb. You can even turn it on and off remotely.

I have it set up for my porch light and it’s great. Typically use a timer, but in the occasional time I don’t and forget to throw the light before bed I can flip it on from the comfort of my bed!

I would recommend getting a smart light bulb ($30 on Amazon). Make sure it’s outdoor rated.

You then control the bulb via your phone with an app. You’ll be able to set any schedule you want and also dim the bulb. You can even turn it on and off remotely.

I have it set up for my porch light and it’s great. Typically use a timer, but in the occasional time I don’t and forget to throw the light before bed I can flip it on from the comfort of my bed!

Haha...I just returned the timer switch I bought and ordered a smart bulb from amazon. That will be much easier to use.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."