• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2019 NBA Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Here are my way-too-early statistical projections for the top freshmen. Reddish, Zion, Grimes, and Little are off to excellent starts, while the others have shown a mixed bag of statistical strengths and weaknesses.

C1aWY.png

Who else should I track? I want to primarily focus on likely lottery picks, though I may start to add interesting sleepers as the year goes on.

And with that said there are plenty of elite PGs that have comparable athleticism to Garland.

What NBA guy other than Steph has succeeded as exclusively a tough shot taker at the next level? Kyrie? Are those the only two guys?

I just think Garland is more a reserve guard profile.....average height and length, average athleticism....good quickness, handle, shot....that is just a good backup guard to me. I don't mean that as disparaging, I think he can have a long NBA career but I just don't see how he projects as a + starter at the NBA level.

Here are my way-too-early statistical projections for the top freshmen. Reddish, Zion, Grimes, and Little are off to excellent starts, while the others have shown a mixed bag of statistical strengths and weaknesses.

C1aWY.png

Who else should I track? I want to primarily focus on likely lottery picks, though I may start to add interesting sleepers as the year goes on.

Hachimura

C1aWY.png

I'd like to see Gafford on this list.

Hachimura

Will add him for my next update. It's not going to like him much unless he starts shooting 3's or passing though.

I'll add him too, but be prepared for some frighteningly bad numbers until his turnover rate returns to a more normal level (currently 8 turnovers per 40 :chuckle:).

I'll add him too, but be prepared for some frighteningly bad numbers until his turnover rate returns to a more normal level (currently 8 turnovers per 40 :chuckle:).

Haha, I know......I was digging through his first 2 games and my eyes almost fell out of my head when I saw his per per 100 was 10.6. :chuckle:

Haha, I know......I was digging through his first 2 games and my eyes almost fell out of my head when I saw his per per 100 was 10.6. :chuckle:

Crazy thing is he never had more than 3 turnovers in a game last year. Now he turns it over 6 times in both of the first two games? WTF happened?? :chuckle:

Adding Sekou Doumbouya and Deividas Sirvydis would be interesting to see how the euro's are stacking up imo, not sure if you can find all the stat categories you'd need though from the euro leagues though.

What NBA guy other than Steph has succeeded as exclusively a tough shot taker at the next level? Kyrie? Are those the only two guys?

I just think Garland is more a reserve guard profile.....average height and length, average athleticism....good quickness, handle, shot....that is just a good backup guard to me. I don't mean that as disparaging, I think he can have a long NBA career but I just don't see how he projects as a + starter at the NBA level.

I don't see him really as a tough shot maker. I think I just buy into his handle a lot... enough to create good looks consistently. Will watch it more closely though, I could be overrating it. But with where I'm at with him now I just think the shooting combined with the shot creation gives him a huge ceiling. Thankfully Vandy runs a ton of P&R (I saw Garland already has 45+ possessions there in two games lol), so there will be plenty of sample size to see just how well he can create despite lacking athleticism.

Crazy thing is he never had more than 3 turnovers in a game last year. Now he turns it over 6 times in both of the first two games? WTF happened?? :chuckle:

Jaylen Barford and Daryl Macon both graduated last year - Arkansas two best shot creators.

Was kind of a weird decision to me that he went back. Haven't watched them yet, but would imagine he has a bigger burden on offense, where as last year he was pretty much just a play finisher. Last year, the extent of his playmaking was like a one foot drop step out of the post lol.

Adding Sekou Doumbouya and Deividas Sirvydis would be interesting to see how the euro's are stacking up imo, not sure if you can find all the stat categories you'd need though from the euro leagues though.

I just use basic per-possession stats, so that's no problem. The bigger issues with international guys are that they often face very different levels of competition, and that their teams typically use them as roleplayers and energy guys unless they're very clearly better than the veterans on the team. I'll calculate them their ratings though and see what happens.

Reactions: KB
I don't see him really as a tough shot maker. I think I just buy into his handle a lot... enough to create good looks consistently. Will watch it more closely though, I could be overrating it. But with where I'm at with him now I just think the shooting combined with the shot creation gives him a huge ceiling. Thankfully Vandy runs a ton of P&R (I saw Garland already has 45+ possessions there in two games lol), so there will be plenty of sample size to see just how well he can create despite lacking athleticism.

Sorry, should have been more specific. More average athletes at the guard position tend to have to be tough shot makers at the next level to be difference makers. Garland can counter act some of that with his handle but he's going to have to score a lot over contests to be a + starter with his skillset IMO.

Will be interested to see how he plays against a team like UK, that will have NBA athletes on the perimeter.

Romeo Langford having a great game so far against Marquette.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."