• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Collin Sexton | The Young Bull

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Resolves First?

• Collin Sexton's Restricted Free Agency

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Baker Mayfield's Tenure with the Browns

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I moved all of the Lue stuff to the Lue thread. Good game by Sexton tonight. Looks like he's improving.

We saw some good and bad tonight but overal some positive flashes. Going to have to really put some time in over next few summers in both handle and jumper. I think he can develop into a solid starting PG on a good team over time. However, It is evident he still has a long way to go.

Probably the most comfortable he has looked on both sides of the floor all season.

His defense is the thing he needs to work on the most. I mean, I'm trying to think if it's fixable. He gets killed on screens and doesn't really contests shots well at all. This is my gripe when you talk about his ceiling really.

His defense is the thing he needs to work on the most. I mean, I'm trying to think if it's fixable. He gets killed on screens and doesn't really contests shots well at all. This is my gripe when you talk about his ceiling really.
No one with athleticism has a ceiling that is determined by defense. Defense is purely hard work. If he WANTS to be a good defender, he will be.

It has nothing to do with his ceiling. Only his desire.

He did pretty good tonight. I'd like to see him contest around the rim more and run like hell to get back on defense. Other than that a great game to build on.

He actually has more athleticism he can unlock if he can tighten up his handle.

No one with athleticism has a ceiling that is determined by defense. Defense is purely hard work. If he WANTS to be a good defender, he will be.

It has nothing to do with his ceiling. Only his desire.

Do you agree that he was very bad defensively tonight(Kemba was bricking wide open looks) and has been so far this season? The 'unfixable' thing i'm talking about is his shot contest. He is not long enough, so he will need to hcange his technique.

I don't care that he has been bad defensively this season, but when i'm watching the tape it seems like there are things that really limit him other than him being lost a lot of times.

Offensively, i'm happy with the improvement that he has shown. Just need to see better defense from him.

Do you agree that he was very bad defensively tonight(Kemba was bricking wide open looks) and has been so far this season? The 'unfixable' thing i'm talking about is his shot contest. He is not long enough, so he will need to hcange his technique.

I don't care that he has been bad defensively this season, but when i'm watching the tape it seems like there are things that really limit him other than him being lost a lot of times.

Offensively, i'm happy with the improvement that he has shown. Just need to see better defense from him.
Many effective PGs struggle with shot contest because of length and still contribute to team defense. It’s a non issue.

Who are the best rookie defenders of all time? Very few guys come in and are able to cover NBA guys day 1.

He is working on d, now he needs to work smarter. He has some bad habits from constantly being the most athletic guy on the floor.

Many effective PGs struggle with shot contest because of length and still contribute to team defense. It’s a non issue.

I think it's an issue. I think every part of his shot contest whether on the perimeter or inside is an issue. He really doesn't show any resistance inside the paint...gives up easy penetrations right to the rim. It really depends how you think it affects his overall impact.

Who are the best rookie defenders of all time? Very few guys come in and are able to cover NBA guys day 1.

He is working on d, now he needs to work smarter. He has some bad habits from constantly being the most athletic guy on the floor.

Don't know. I think his defense is really bad even for a rookie.

Don't really understand the bad habits argument. Do you think it impacts his ability to get over screens and contest shot well( he contests shot, but it's ineffective)? He gives up a ton of room for players coming off screens...they find themselves wide open. Still, it's a better shot for us when you compare it to the ridiculous switching that we had before that led to easy post ups and corner 3's. I would gladly take an off the dribble/off-screen/spot up 3pt above the break shot. It's just that optimally I would want him to not be that bad at it because when we face good shooting teams we will get burned, and quickly.

I think the most important thing is that we are seeing progress. Collin was always a raw talent who needed time in the league to learn and develop - I think we accepted that from the beginning. However in the world of professional sports, "patience" is a much simpler concept in theory.

Since starting, he's shown that that he can and will grow. How great he can be is still up for debate - dissimilar to Kyrie, he doesn't have that instant flash and star power in that you just know someday he will be great. He's a ton more like Oladipo or a Mike Conley in that with a careful commitment to his craft, he can be the starting-caliber PG on a winner that we need him to be one day.

Still trying those long 2s eh? Maybe it’s time to step behind the line and adapt.

I think it's an issue. I think every part of his shot contest whether on the perimeter or inside is an issue. He really doesn't show any resistance inside the paint...gives up easy penetrations right to the rim. It really depends how you think it affects his overall impact.

Yes, for sure. He needs a lot of work in a lot of areas, but you specifically said that his defense puts limits on his ceiling.

We have nowhere near enough information to start making claims about his ceiling. It’s still possible that he could bust and never improve all that much, or he could be the next Dipo/Westbrook. It’s WAY too early to tell.

So far, tho, we are seeing more positives than negatives, I think.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."