• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randolphkeys

I'm Just Second-hand Strus
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a thread way back a decade ago on the snubs. Looks like many of the bands brought up about ten years ago have found a way in by now:

http://www.realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/snubbed-by-the-rock-and-roll-hall.23589/

The 2019 class features Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Rage Against the Machine, Janet Jackson, Radiohead, Devo, John Prine, Roxy Music, and Todd Rundgren. The other nominees are Kraftwerk,LL Cool J, the MC5, the Cure, Rufus & Chaka Kahn and the Zombies.

If only five are getting in at a time, who gets your vote this go around? I'll vote Def Leppard, Rage Against the Machine, Devo, Janet Jackson and The Cure. Radiohead acted like dicks last year so they can wait it out a little longer.

Radiohead needs in. revolutionary

Rage did right what everyone else limp bizkitted

There really should be a Hip Hop and Rap HOF. LL Cool J shouldnt be in the goddamn Rock n Roll HOF. Makes no fucking sense.

Anyways...

Stevie Nicks
Radiohead
Cure
Def Leppard

I can’t find a 5th deserving artist in there.

Being a dick doesnt deserve ousting imo. I dislike when voters do that. I don’t like Radiohead’s music for the most part, but they’re incredibly talented and have made a ton of great music.

There really should be a Hip Hop and Rap HOF. LL Cool J shouldnt be in the goddamn Rock n Roll HOF. Makes no fucking sense.

Anyways...

Stevie Nicks
Radiohead
Cure
Def Leppard

Being a dick doesnt deserve ousting imo. I dislike when voters do that. I don’t like Radiohead’s music for the most part, but they’re incredibly talented and have made a ton of great music.
Man you really have to be in the mood for Radiohead.

Rock is dead, it makes sense for the hall to just use rock as a catch all. Or ten years from now there's no one to put in.

Rock is dead, it makes sense for the hall to just use rock as a catch all. Or ten years from now there's no one to put in.

Agree re: Radiohead. Super depressing.

I mean the rock n roll hall of fame probably should have just been called the music HOF if this is what they wanted to do.

Agree re: Radiohead. Super depressing.

I mean the rock n roll hall of fame probably should have just been called the music HOF if this is what they wanted to do.
I don't think anyone could have predicted how much things have shifted since its inception. This is such a crazy period of time

In the late 90s, I remember thinking "Someday all the good bands will already be in and Cleveland will be debating the merits of Matchbox 20 and Third Eye Blind if they don't open up to hip hop." When the Beastie Boys started mashing up rock with rap, the rock hall took that as an invitation to become a modern pop music hall of fame.

Radiohead is probably the best musical resume and influential band on that list, along with Kraftwerk, but several members of the band went on a very public rant against the rock hall. Considering other hall of fames have their own reasons for keeping all time greats out for a stretch of time, I have no problem with the Rock HOF making Radiohead their Pete Rose for a little while. About five British bands are just as deserving and have been waiting out the "one UK band at a time" rule.

Def fucking Leppard? What's the difference between them, Whitesnake, Poison,or any number of other cardboard cutout hair bands?

I think bands that broke ground should be preferred ahead of catchy singles bands. So though I'm not a Kraftwerk fan, I'd vote for them. Also probably Radiohead, the Cure,and Stevie Nicks.

Don't think any others are deserving.

Def fucking Leppard? What's the difference between them, Whitesnake, Poison,or any number of other cardboard cutout hair bands?

I am so glad you asked!

Def Leppard getting nominated is a direct result of Bon Jovi getting in via the fan vote in process last year, and Journey getting in on the fan vote the year before. For a while the R&RHOF was catering to elitism, then they realized people need to have a say. Once they have a say, more people will show up and buy a ticket.

So have you ever walked into a sleazy cheap strip club with about twenty seven singles in your wallet and heard "Pour Some Sugar On Me" come on? If you have, and I hope you did, you know why they will carry the vote off.

In the late 90s, I remember thinking "Someday all the good bands will already be in and Cleveland will be debating the merits of Matchbox 20 and Third Eye Blind if they don't open up to hip hop." When the Beastie Boys started mashing up rock with rap, the rock hall took that as an invitation to become a modern pop music hall of fame.

Radiohead is probably the best musical resume and influential band on that list, along with Kraftwerk, but several members of the band went on a very public rant against the rock hall. Considering other hall of fames have their own reasons for keeping all time greats out for a stretch of time, I have no problem with the Rock HOF making Radiohead their Pete Rose for a little while. About five British bands are just as deserving and have been waiting out the "one UK band at a time" rule.
Eh that's exactly what Radiohead is gonna say though. Like of course. If it was my rock and roll hall of fame, and it isn't as I just deliver food and own nothing of value, but I'd just not take that seriously and let em in. I'd probably frame that quote in their exhibit too.

@Randolphkeys isnt backing up the argument as much as he could.

Def Leppard had a lot more great music during their time than I think you guys are remembering and sold a shit ton of it. They probably had more like 8-10 very good songs and 5 great ones. They weren’t one hit wonders or even 5 hit wonders.

Some talented musicians, well produced and were VERY influential believe it or not. If you look at any top 100 lists for best bands and best songs they’ll be on it for those very reasons.

They were also MTV pioneers.

All of that combined is what separates them from the bands @The Human Q-Tip threw out there. None of them fearure ALL of that.

They had a nice 10 year run. Given the standard for enshrinement, they absolutely deserve to go in.

Anyways...

Stevie Nicks
Radiohead
Cure
Def Leppard

Rage Against the Machine is huge, even though they aren't my shit. They are at least as worthy as Def Leppard IMO. I'm rooting for Devo but at least part of that is my username. MC5 should already be in, as innovators of punk rock.

Radiohead, The Cure, and Nicks should be givens though I agree. I don't know the others well enough to claim one way or the other.

As for the larger discussion, rock and it's influences are pretty far-reaching. Yeah, it's kinda odd to have hip-hop in there but the hall already houses bands like Metallica next to performers like Aretha Franklin, so it's not as if it's unprecedented for the range of music to be very wide.

@Randolphkeys isnt backing up the argument as much as he could.

Def Leppard had a lot more great music during their time than I think you guys are remembering and sold a shit ton of it. They probably had more like 8-10 very good songs and 5 great ones. They weren’t one hit wonders or even 5 hit wonders.

Some talented musicians, well produced and were VERY influential believe it or not. If you look at any top 100 lists for best bands and best songs they’ll be on it for those very reasons.

They were also MTV pioneers.

All of that combined is what separates them from the bands @The Human Q-Tip threw out there. None of them fearure ALL of that.

They had a nice 10 year run. Given the standard for enshrinement, they absolutely deserve to go in.

I definitely gave a half-assed answer. When it comes to music everyone is entitled to an opinion. We have all been there and done that with the music topic. Objectively, Pyromania and Hysteria are great albums, produced a lot of hits and IMO have held up very well.

Plus, they are an actual rock band. Just like The Cure, I usually hear criticisms of their fan base rather than criticism of the music they made. The kids who were into Def Leppard were the same kids who kept a mullet too long, listened to the bad iterations of hair bands when it all went dopey rock ballad, and pierced their ear themselves and got a nasty infection. All of that is true. However, the band itself made quality rock songs.

None of their songs appear in Rolling Stones top 200 (I didn't check back further than that), none of their albums are in the Rolling Stone top 100, and they're not listed in the Top 100 artists. So certainly they're certainly not on "any" top 100 lists for best bands and best songs. I'm not saying that Rolling Stone is the gatekeeper for what a great song, album, or band is, but it's your metric.

To use @Randolphkeys 's standard, I'd agree they made "quality rock songs". But so did .38 Special. I just don't see their songs as being significantly different/better than those made by a shitload of other hair bands. Is "Pour Some Sugar on Me" really any different/better than Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again", Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", or Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name"? All of those songs could have been written/performed by any of those bands. There's just a sameness. Saw one of their shows once back when they were big, and it was...fine. But nothing special.

Maybe I'm just slamming hair bands in general -- I just see it as an incredibly derivative genre in general. Sort of music for guys who were prettier than Led Zeppelin but didn't have the musical chops. So if you're going to be a hair band in the HOF, you have to have something about the music that is truly special to stand out from the crowd. Journey at least had Steve Perry's voice.

Well, no argument there but that was kind of the point. I think what the standard has become over the years blows. I dunno -- I just think that if I'm listening to a Hall of Fame artist, they should be doing something that sounds unique/different/of exceptionally high quality, etc.. Not something that pretty much sounds indistinguishable from what a dozen other bands did.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."