• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Freddie Kitchens: vaguely employed

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What grade to you give the Browns for hiring Freddie Kitchens as their next Head Coach?

• A+

Votes: 38 20.8%
  • A

Votes: 57 31.1%
  • A-

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • B

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Less than that, but I'm also not fun at parties.

Votes: 55 30.1%

• Total voters
Isn’t zone typically a means of combating poor corners who typically get beat in man? I feel like it’s at least possible we don’t play it as heavily with guys like Mitchell and award on the roster; and even so, as long as it isn’t overly soft and we add a good pass rusher it isn’t a foregone conclusion that it will be particularly ineffective.

Someone tell me if I’m wrong

It can, although some of the best CBs have been zone guys *Rondae Barber and Richard Sherman immediately come to mind*.

Truly, if Ward cannot learn how to play some zone, he isnt the talent we thought he is.

It can, although some of the best CBs have been zone guys *Rondae Barber and Richard Sherman immediately come to mind*.

Truly, if Ward cannot learn how to play some zone, he isnt the talent we thought he is.
Gregg Williams ran a decent chunk of zone... He ran more Cover 2 than any coach in the NFL in St. Louis. He did more Cover 1 here, which means corners play in man, but we still saw a good chunk of Cover 2. Still, there were only two games where Ward covered a single receiver less than 87% of the time, and both games he sustained injuries. There are ways to run zone defense while you still allow your #1 to shutdown a specific receiver, see Richard Sherman in Seattle.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/denzel-ward/#!#game-log

Curiously, were you excited about the possibility of Matt Eberflus?

Obvious where you're going with this. There's a difference between disguising zone like Eberflus has all season, and just blitzing and playing soft.

I swear sometimes you guys think you are thinking of some next level shit and I promise you aren’t.

The possibilities are:

We know how he has schemed and asked him about it, given that we have Ward. He said he would not play as much zone.

Or

We know how he has schemed and asked him about it, given that we have Ward. He said he would put Ward on an island and shrink the zone.

Thinking what you internet sleuths discovered wasn’t part of the interview is... short-sighted. These guys have a full time analytics guy with limitless resources. You have Twitter and regurgitating other people’s thoughts.

Give Buddy Boy the benefit of the doubt. We aren’t stupid any more.

Now question: was he josh Norman Carolina or after? I think we move Peppers to a LB-type position and add another safety. I feel like there’s a plan and/or philosophy that we simply aren’t privvy to. We will have 2 packages: the one we start the game with and the one we play when Baker has us with a 2 score lead in the 2nd half.

Patrick Patterson, who was not known as a generally elite zone corner, seemed to do just fine for Wilks. Moreover, this was a guy Wilks critiqued early in the season. Patterson was a shutdown Man guy and became a shutdown zone guy with lots of man responsibilities.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1083940639362957314

Again, I'm not really sure how he will coach or how we will adjust. I just think writing him off because of his defensive scheme is a bit premature.

I’m not as upset about zone because I’ve considerably cooled on Ward

Not because I don’t think he’s a great player because I do

But because he might be dead in 3 years if he doesn’t get his concussions in check

Really good guy.

And how!

What a comedian. So glad so many find it funny.

Chris Kluwe is a good guy by the way.
I'm going to attempt to do my best to separate Mike Preifer the man from Mike Preifer the Browns special teams coordinator when discussing him moving forward.

The Browns special teams units should be improved over the previous few seasons if nothing else.

Winning papers over most problems. So he had better be good.

I’m intrigued by the prospect of seeing Ward and Peppers playing zone.

Does anyone know if Wilks called plays on defense last year?

I thought the Cleveland media said they just didn't want to take questions?

Right. So the team negotiates the deal with Freddie, but they hold off on actually signing it until his staff is filled so that they have an easy excuse to tell guys like Rapaport.

Freddie and Dorsey have been conducting the coordinator interviews, so Freddie's signing has been a done deal even if they didn't ink it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/1080315001

Holcomb, who will be entirely responsible for calling the defense on game days, said the biggest adjustment the players likely will have is the new terminology they will have to learn. Outside of that, he fully expects to be able to plug them in wherever they fit best and let them aim for a fourth consecutive season as a top-six defense.

This gives me hope. Holcomb is a great LB coach but poor play caller. But now Wilks will be back to calling plays. So we should see more of Carolina than Arizona.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."