• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

GRE Prep

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be applying for grad school this year. Thus, I've begun prep for the GRE, with the aim of taking it this spring. I was just curious if anyone here had taken the exam and what their experience was with it, and if you had any study/prep tips. I did pretty well in my undergrad, but there are some other things that may hold me back if I don't do pretty well on the GRE so I really want to study hard and destroy this thing.

Any help welcome. Thanks.

I got a dumb question: what's the GRE? If i go back to be a CNP, do I have to take it? I took a test called the TEAS to initially get into nursing school, I guess it's like that?

I got a dumb question: what's the GRE? If i go back to be a CNP, do I have to take it? I took a test called the TEAS to initially get into nursing school, I guess it's like that?

Basically a graduate admissions exam. Like the GMAT. Those are the only two I’ve heard of but I’m sure there are others.

Anyone have any experience with the NRB or FUPA? Been looking at going back to school as well and these are both options for my field.

Hey guys, I'm going to be applying for grad school this year. Thus, I've begun prep for the GRE, with the aim of taking it this spring. I was just curious if anyone here had taken the exam and what their experience was with it, and if you had any study/prep tips. I did pretty well in my undergrad, but there are some other things that may hold me back if I don't do pretty well on the GRE so I really want to study hard and destroy this thing.

What field? I only did the computer science test, and that was a long, long time ago. And I see they don't even offer that test anymore, which is strange. My only prep consisted of getting my degree.

Honestly, I thought the test was pretty easy.

Used a 30-day free trial of the Magoosh prep software and they’ve got a pretty good feel for what the exam questions were like with regards to type and content.

Very helpful app, usable on the phone.

Would recommend.

Also, good luck. The GRE is way easier than the GMAT.

Like anything, buy the prep books and practice a lot. Seriously. Take all the practice exams that are available and prepare as if in a test setting. Do it repeatedly.

Like anything, buy the prep books and practice a lot. Seriously. Take all the practice exams that are available and prepare as if in a test setting. Do it repeatedly.

Oh and don't get distracted by your roommates who want to go to the bar after work... and if you do... cancel your test results before you know what they are, then retake the test with fewer bar trips replacing your practice evenings...

Anyone have any experience with the NRB or FUPA? Been looking at going back to school as well and these are both options for my field.

The NRB is definitely easier right out of undergrad. As you get older and have kids the NRB becomes a rarity. The FUPA is much more attainable for someone your age.

Well fuck, anyone have their PMP certification? If so, what book(s) did you use?

Time for bcort to start thinking about civilian life and moving back to NEO.

Huh, and here I thought a GRE prep was a drink you had to take before a medical procedure.

By the way, if it IS, then I can help you with some advice.

Some programs do not require the GRE if you meet a certain GPA. I got into grad school without having to take it (> 10 years ago though). You might want to check the requirements of the program you're interested in if you haven't yet.

The GRE is not hard.

All you really need to do is brush up on your math.

I can’t offer much help but as someone preparing for the GMAT to apply for Northwestern’s business school I sincerely wish you the best.

Well fuck, anyone have their PMP certification? If so, what book(s) did you use?

Time for bcort to start thinking about civilian life and moving back to NEO.

What branch are you? I know for the Army, they have a program that’s called Onward To Opportunity, where they teach you a six week course. It’s available to active duty soldiers that are going to retire/ETS within the next six months, military spouses, and reservists.

To even be able to sit for the exam, I believe you need to have some kind of degree and then a bunch of project management experience to go along with it. I know somebody who started it but didn’t finish for that reason - they had a bachelors, took the course, but didn’t have enough hours to sit for the exam.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."