• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Collin Sexton | The Young Bull

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Resolves First?

• Collin Sexton's Restricted Free Agency

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Baker Mayfield's Tenure with the Browns

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He's two inches taller taller than Allen Iverson. I'm not saying Sexton is AI, but pair him with a taller guard who can also play a little point and it would work. AI played both PG and SG. So did Danny Ainge and Dennis Johnson.

I don't necessarily agree that you need a "Point Guard" and a "Shooting Guard". In fact my ideal backcourt would have two guards that could BOTH shoot, pass and play some D. Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe is the classic example. In the modern game versatility is even more important.
If hes going to be one dimensional, he's going to have to be elite in that dimension for us to build around his deficiencies.

If hes going to be one dimensional, he's going to have to be elite in that dimension for us to build around his deficiencies.

Well he does show signs of potentially being an elite scorer. I hear that from visiting commentators on Sirius XM and on League Pass. His passing is also improving -- some of his assist-worthy passes have been botched.

At the very least I think he could be a hell of a sixth man on a good team. However, his improvement over this season has been amazing -- especially his shooting. He's learning on shot selection. He's making better passes. He's improve on finishing at the rim. He had ZERO turnovers against Toronto and Philly while scoring 54 points.

I agree that the jury is out on him but I am more than satisfied with his rookie season.

Well he does show signs of potentially being an elite scorer. I hear that from visiting commentators on Sirius XM and on League Pass. His passing is also improving -- some of his assist-worthy passes have been botched.

At the very least I think he could be a hell of a sixth man on a good team. However, his improvement over this season has been amazing -- especially his shooting. He's learning on shot selection. He's making better passes. He's improve on finishing at the rim. He had ZERO turnovers against Toronto and Philly while scoring 54 points.

I agree that the jury is out on him but I am more than satisfied with his rookie season.
Yeah, i'm not ready to build around his deficiencies. Year 2 will be really telling. If we are in draft position where Morant is the best player on the board I really hope we don't pass on him because of Colin Sexton. Sexton has made real improvements but he still has major deficiencies in his game that concern me.

Yeah, i'm not ready to build around his deficiencies. Year 2 will be really telling. If we are in draft position where Morant is the best player on the board I really hope we don't pass on him because of Colin Sexton. Sexton has made real improvements but he still has major deficiencies in his game that concern me.

Whatever.

NBA Rookie Power Rankings: Collin Sexton zooms past Trae Young, Luka Doncic to take No. 1 spot
Sexton had his best week as a pro to snatch the top spot from Rookie Rankings mainstays
by Colin Ward-Henninger

The best part about the NBA -- and sports in general -- is that every once in a while you get a completely unpredictable result. For the first five months of the season, Cavaliers rookie Collin Sexton had been almost eerily consistent, averaging about 13-15 points per game pretty much every week.

So it's safe to say that nobody would have predicted that the speedy guard would zoom right past mainstays Luka Doncic and Trae Young to snatch the No. 1 spot in this week's NBA Rookie Rankings -- but that's exactly what happened. Sexton had by far his best week as a pro, and it coincided with relatively down performances from Young and Doncic, so the Young Bull finds himself ahead of the pack ... for this week at least.

A couple other somewhat surprising names also made their way up the rankings -- Mavs point guard Jalen Bruson and Pelicans guard Frank Jackson -- as increased playing time on struggling teams has led to confidence and strong performances. As the regular season winds down in its final month, it will be fun to see if other rookies emerge as coaches give them a chance to show what they've got.

THIS WEEK'S NBA ROOKIE RANKINGS

Collin Sexton
CLEVELAND CAVALIERS PG
Last week: 10
Stats this week: 26.0 points, 3.8 assists, 2.5 rebounds

Sexton's great week was a result of his blistering 3-point shooting (13-of-26), but he also got to the rim and finished at a prolific rate, leading to 55 percent field goal shooting in four games. He didn't take nearly as many mid-range jumpers, which resulted in a much higher percentage on 2-point field goals than he's produced all season. For the season he's averaging 4.9 mid-range attempts per game compared to 6.3 attempts in the paint and restricted area, and this week that dropped to 1.5 mid-range attempts and bumped up to 8.8 attempts in the paint and restricted area. He didn't settle for pull-up jumpers out of the pick-and-roll, instead getting all the way to the rim, which in turn opened up his 3-point looks.After an ugly seven-turnover game against the Heat last Friday, Sexton didn't have a single turnover in two games against the Raptors and Sixers. It's taken some growing pains, but the "Young Bull" has improved consistently as the season's gone on, and earns the top spot this week.

*Reminder: The rankings are based on the past week's performance, not the entire season

Whatever.

NBA Rookie Power Rankings: Collin Sexton zooms past Trae Young, Luka Doncic to take No. 1 spot
Sexton had his best week as a pro to snatch the top spot from Rookie Rankings mainstays
by Colin Ward-Henninger

The best part about the NBA -- and sports in general -- is that every once in a while you get a completely unpredictable result. For the first five months of the season, Cavaliers rookie Collin Sexton had been almost eerily consistent, averaging about 13-15 points per game pretty much every week.

So it's safe to say that nobody would have predicted that the speedy guard would zoom right past mainstays Luka Doncic and Trae Young to snatch the No. 1 spot in this week's NBA Rookie Rankings -- but that's exactly what happened. Sexton had by far his best week as a pro, and it coincided with relatively down performances from Young and Doncic, so the Young Bull finds himself ahead of the pack ... for this week at least.

A couple other somewhat surprising names also made their way up the rankings -- Mavs point guard Jalen Bruson and Pelicans guard Frank Jackson -- as increased playing time on struggling teams has led to confidence and strong performances. As the regular season winds down in its final month, it will be fun to see if other rookies emerge as coaches give them a chance to show what they've got.

THIS WEEK'S NBA ROOKIE RANKINGS

Collin Sexton
CLEVELAND CAVALIERS PG
Last week: 10
Stats this week: 26.0 points, 3.8 assists, 2.5 rebounds

Sexton's great week was a result of his blistering 3-point shooting (13-of-26), but he also got to the rim and finished at a prolific rate, leading to 55 percent field goal shooting in four games. He didn't take nearly as many mid-range jumpers, which resulted in a much higher percentage on 2-point field goals than he's produced all season. For the season he's averaging 4.9 mid-range attempts per game compared to 6.3 attempts in the paint and restricted area, and this week that dropped to 1.5 mid-range attempts and bumped up to 8.8 attempts in the paint and restricted area. He didn't settle for pull-up jumpers out of the pick-and-roll, instead getting all the way to the rim, which in turn opened up his 3-point looks.After an ugly seven-turnover game against the Heat last Friday, Sexton didn't have a single turnover in two games against the Raptors and Sixers. It's taken some growing pains, but the "Young Bull" has improved consistently as the season's gone on, and earns the top spot this week.

*Reminder: The rankings are based on the past week's performance, not the entire season
One week of high volume scoring on good efficiency isn't enough for me to pass on Ja if he's the best player on the board. Which is no later than three and a very good argument for 2. I'm starting to think he should be taken at number 2 ahead of Barrett.

One week of high volume scoring on good efficiency isn't enough for me to pass on Ja if he's the best player on the board. Which is no later than three and a very good argument for 2. I'm starting to think he should be taken at number 2 ahead of Barrett.

I am having a hard time with this. I would like a good passing wing to go onto this team, and RJ seems like a great fit. I want 1-4 being good playmakers. Taking the ball out of Cedi and Love's hands so a guy can get highlight passes at the expense of team offense seems like a bad idea to me.

Sexton seems like a the modern guy for a decentralized offense, but maybe I am wrong and Lillard is the best player in the league.

Sexton seems like a the modern guy for a decentralized offense, but maybe I am wrong and Lillard is the best player in the league.

Is your core argument that the NBA generally is evolving into more of a decentralized offense, so ball-dominant, high-usage distributor/scoring PG's have less value than they may have had previously?

Because it seems to me that those kind of guys tend to be less effective the deeper you get in the playoffs.

Is your core argument that the NBA generally is evolving into more of a decentralized offense, so ball-dominant, high-usage distributor/scoring PG's have less value than they may have had previously?

Because it seems to me that those kind of guys tend to be less effective the deeper you get in the playoffs.

Yep. As a Cavs fan, I know that our defense has been to sell out on the major creator. IT, Lowry, and even Horford, Oladipo.

Lillard's teams generally fail when their offense stalls . Chris Paul never got far u til he had another high level creator.

LBJ himself has had major problems getting over the hump without another high level creator.

Mavs, Spurs, and GS especially have been able to keep the baskets coming no matter what the defense does.

Just my observation. I'd rather rely on 4 playmakers than 1.

Do people actually like RJ Barrett? Or do they like the idea of RJ Barrett? Man, I've watched a bit of Duke, and Barrett looks limited to me. He's super athletic, but, personally, it looks like the athleticism is masking his actual play.

Barrett has a below average true shooting percentage, does not rebound, and an incredibly high usage. His defense is good, but his steals and steal percentage do not, and those are the main defensive box score stats that translate. He is also a good playmaker for the amount of time he actually is the lead facilitator. But, problematically, he really is very rarely a primary facilitator.

You're basically drafting Barrett assuming his defense and playmaking will translate and hoping he can become a good three-point shooter in the NBA. I just do not know if I am that comfortable with a choice like Barrett at #2.

Do people actually like RJ Barrett? Or do they like the idea of RJ Barrett? Man, I've watched a bit of Duke, and Barrett looks limited to me. He's super athletic, but, personally, it looks like the athleticism is masking his actual play.

Barrett has a below average true shooting percentage, does not rebound, and an incredibly high usage. His defense is good, but his steals and steal percentage do not, and those are the main defensive box score stats that translate. He is also a good playmaker for the amount of time he actually is the lead facilitator. But, problematically, he really is very rarely a primary facilitator.

You're basically drafting Barrett assuming his defense and playmaking will translate and hoping he can become a good three-point shooter in the NBA. I just do not know if I am that comfortable with a choice like Barrett at #2.
He doesn't rebound? He's average 7.5 rebounds per game...as a SF...

I think his playmaking is great for his position as well.

My concerns with him are developing a consistent jumper and defense. He should be way better at defense than he is right now.

He doesn't rebound? He's average 7.5 rebounds per game...as a SF...

I think his playmaking is great for his position as well.

My concerns with him are developing a consistent jumper and defense. He should be way better at defense than he is right now.
But he's only averaging a total rebound percentage of about 11%. Basically, Duke makes opponents miss lots of shots, creating more rebound opportunities. Barrett is great at taking advantage of the mass sum of opportunities. But he's not actually a great rebounder, in fact, he's pretty mediocre for a guy who is having rebounding touted as a serious skill.

With Barrett, you are basically counting on a few things translating. First, that his ability as a secondary/tertiary facilitator translates to the NBA for that same role. Second, that his athleticism lets him evolve into a good defender. Third, that his secondary/tertiary rebounding skills translate to the NBA for that same role. And finally, that he can become an average-efficiency shooter in the NBA.

I still think he's worth of a high pick, if only because he is a great size, athletic, and sees the court really well. But, I cannot say with confidence what he'll be. To me, the variance in Barrett's potential is crazy.

Ja Morant is the 2nd best player in the draft and then there's a huge gap before 3.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."