• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2019 Potential Free Agency Targets

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Tre Boston is a pure free safety. He is at his best in zone coverage.

Reactions: Lee
The Von Miller stuff is kinda funny.. Although I did read an article awhile ago about how it makes sense for Denver to trade him soon to gather the most value they can for him, before he gets too old to move.

The rumors are either started by fans who just read Instagram post, or something Lane and those guys over at OBR mentioned. He keeps tweeting out and people are trying to read between the lines, for whatever that's worth anyway.

I highly, highly doubt Miller is dealt.. But it's fun to dream about it, I guess. I felt the same way when Jay Glazer mentioned OBJ as the person he thought would be dealt, and when the Browns started to be linked in with him, but never thought it would actually happen. So, I just refuse to put anything passed John Dorsey and this front office right now.

Likely? Noway. Could happen? Probably not. Would I shut the door completely? We all should, but not with Dorsey running the goddamn show.

I've heard Ramsey's name brought up, too. That's another one I'd love, of course, but also too hard to even start to believe has any truth whatsoever.

Browns still need a safety. Still need another decent linebacker. I'd love to add one of the top kickers in free agency, too.

Justin Houston and Eric Berry are the two top free agents I could see the Browns signing, mainly because they fit a need, and are connected to Dorsey. So it makes sense all around.

Dream scenario for me, anyway.. Sign those two, and sign Gostkowski to be the kicker. That would top off one helluva offseason.

Then you have the entire draft left to either make some noise, trade wise, or draft guys you feel can help this franchise win football games.

Considering Dorsey is clearly going for it all right now, I just won't be surprised to see him strike another big time trade with the draft capital the team has still, along with next years picks at his disposal.

This should be exciting.

52 mil left.
Hasn't Smooth debunked this, though? Browns don't actually have $52M left of cap space, right?

They need to extend some of their guys soon, mainly Randall this summer so he is locked up and not even worried about it. I could also see the Browns wanting to wait with him, maybe to continue to prove that he's capable of holding down the secondary back there - but I'm sold on him and believe he could very well make the pro bowl next season, especially with the Browns having prime time games now. He will make some noise for sure.

Felt the same about Peppers before being dealt, too. Felt he was really coming on strong, and that he would have had a very good season next year as well with Randall. I'm confident in Dorsey to find his replacement, however. I don't think he is irreplaceable by any means.

Considering the Browns don't actually have that number of cap left, I have to wonder what Dorsey does next. I want him to be smart, but I also want to see him remain aggressive. We don't have to worry about the main extensions for a few years, so I'm all for making a push here and now.

I do wonder what players he could be targeting via trade. I just don't believe he is done yet with the big splashes. Maybe not OBJ splash, but a splash nonetheless.

This website (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/) seems to suggest we have $33M left but are now $2M over next year's cap of $188M.

For a talented team our cap is very flexible next year(2020). We have only 11 guys earning over 5 million that year.

Of those 11:
Vernon, Bitonio and OBJ have no dead money if moved.
Carrie has 1.8 million.
Hubbard and Kirksey only 2.4 million of dead money.
Landry is 4.5 million.
Richardson is 5.3 million
Ward, Baker and Garrett aren't going anywhere so doesn't matter.

So only really 2 guys if moved in any way would hurt our cap: Richardson and Landry.

If u replaced Carrie/Hubbard/Kirksey with draft picks ur gaining 25.4 million minus 6.2. 19.2 million in cap space minus prob max of 6 million in draft money.

The only guys on roster who are due new contracts are Randall and Schobert. Randall makes 9 million this year and I don't see that big of an increase for him. Schobert is at 2 million so he will probably cost another 4 or 5 million.

Oh damn. Yeah so we’re done spending. We’ve gotta carry that remaining over.

The Browns will be fine by next season, contracts aren't guaranteed. Rumors continue to swirl that Duke is being shopped. Last season, late in free agency they took a few cheap fliers on players who were passed over. That was how they grabbed Kendricks and EJ Gaines. We might see someone from the bargain bin.

I'm fully convinced they will use Duke to trade up into the 2nd round or even the 1st. The amount of safety prospects from about 25-50 is staggering. Even if they don't sign someone in FA, they will get a good prospect there.

The Browns will be fine by next season, contracts aren't guaranteed. Rumors continue to swirl that Duke is being shopped. Last season, late in free agency they took a few cheap fliers on players who were passed over. That was how they grabbed Kendricks and EJ Gaines. We might see someone from the bargain bin.

There's also the post-draft release of vets that always happens. Sometimes some pretty decent players are let go.

It would be rather surprising to see Duke carry that much value.
As Keys already mentioned, I got the same from reading that post. Duke alone wouldn't come close to netting a 1st or a 2nd round pick, but if we packaged him with another pick or even Ogbah, I believe Dorsey could get himself back into day one on draft day.

The Browns may not own a pick for the first round right now, but you bet your ass I'll be watching. Not only because I have confidence Dorsey can, and likely will trade back up into the 1st round if a guy he likes a lot falls a little, but those guys talking on NFL Network and ESPN have no choice but to talk about the Browns and what they are now capable of doing on Sundays.

Gonna be so much better than them showing clips of the old quarterbacks we've had, or that ugly ass jersey with all the quarterbacks named on it.

Those days are officially over, finally.

This website (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/) seems to suggest we have $33M left but are now $2M over next year's cap of $188M.
-Next years cap should rise another $10M and be $198M

-If you click on the 2020 tab it will show you we currently have have $166M in salary committed for 2020, not the $190M that you’re using.

-so right there we BEGIN with 32M in cap space next year.

-But we will roll over whatever unused cap space from this year we have left over. So if that ends up being 30M for n unused and remaining 2019 cap room, then our adjusted cap number next year would be $228M and we would start the offseason with $62M in cap space for the 2020 offseason.

-on top of that, there are guys like Hubbard, Kirksey, Carrie, Duke, and Chris Smith so could be released AFTER the season to free up another $24-28M in space.

-of course anyone else we add between now and then or extend(Randall? Higgins?) between now and then affects all of the following: how much unused 2019 cap space we rollover to 2020, what are 2020 adjusted cap number is, and what our 2020 cap commitments are.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."