• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Gorilla in the room: Do we now trade Love?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mott the Hoople

NBA Starter
Reaction score
Two very significant things have just happened to the Cavs.
First, they hired John Beilein. One of the best player development coaches around.
Then, they finished 5th in the draft lottery that has 3 dominant players.
So what does it all mean.
If we had got one of the top 2 picks, I could see us sneaking into a playoff spot. But not now.
It means the Cavs will be adding players with potential, but will take some time to develop. Time that Kevin Love will still be in his prime. I personally love having Love on the team. But I'm afraid it's time to move on. Love will never be more valuable a trade chip. His ability could put more than one team over the top.
Would the Lakers trade #4 for him?
What would the Celtics trade?

Ideas? Comments?

My man shoulda been gone already

Two very significant things have just happened to the Cavs.
First, they hired John Beilein. One of the best player development coaches around.
Then, they finished 5th in the draft lottery that has 3 dominant players.
So what does it all mean.
If we had got one of the top 2 picks, I could see us sneaking into a playoff spot. But not now.
It means the Cavs will be adding players with potential, but will take some time to develop. Time that Kevin Love will still be in his prime. I personally love having Love on the team. But I'm afraid it's time to move on. Love will never be more valuable a trade chip. His ability could put more than one team over the top.
Would the Lakers trade #4 for him?
What would the Celtics trade?

Ideas? Comments?

I won't speak on it from the perspective of whether or not the Cavs *should* trade Love or not.

But on the return, for the previous 2 offseasons, the Cavs have failed to receive an offer of a top8 pick for a healthier, younger Kevin Love. So setting expectations that now a Love coming missing 50 games and locked into to a pretty big deal is going to get you a top8-10 pick is just likely not near the reality of the situation.

I'd imagine if some teams made offers for Love it'd be more in the range of young player(some promise but not someone fresh out of last years lottery of that profiles as a star), either a lottery protected future 1st or a pick in the 14-25 range of this years draft, plus some contracts to make the money/cap stuff work.

So when debating the merits of what Love does to benefit the overall growth of the young players here vs. a potential return, try to have that more realistic return in mind rather than visions of the Lakers pick or another top10 pick from someone else.

Selfishly, I’d love (no pun intended) for Love to finish out his career here. However, for how long can he play the good soldier role after the previous four years of success? If I’m the Cavs brass, my terms would still start with a low lottery pick at the very least. If those terms can’t be met, you still have have guy who knows how to play the game the right way and carries some clout to influence younger teammates.

Here are some offers I could imagine teams making for Love:

OKC offers Jerami Grant, Shroeder, PatPat, and Diallo for Love and Delly

PHX offers Josh Jackson(devalued after his arrest) and Tyler Johnson for Love

POR offers Turner, Leonard, Simons, and their first for Love

IMO that's the kind of crap offers that get made this offseason. Now say he plays healthy the entire first half of the season and balls out at a really high level, does some team look to make a better offer at the trade deadline? Possible I guess.

Which teams and over the top of what?
I mean you put him on POR or OKC and it definitely should help their cause.

Put him next to Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Warren and the PG they draft or sign in FA and it accelerates their improvement. They should actually be aiming to sign Kemba for the max and then trading for Love.

Kemba
Booker
Warren/Bridges
Love
Ayton

I think Love basically committed to finishing out his career here. I like that personally. He can be an old player getting some minutes off the bench and not being asked for much. If he can bring stability and leadership and championship experience to the locker room, I am cool with it.

I don't love his contract, and that means no one else does either. I think we are just talking about dumping him by trading him, so I see no point. Maybe if he stays healthy for a long period of time teams will look at him differently, but I think he is injury risk forevermore.

Let's let him be the face of the franchise and force one of these youngbloods to take it from him. He's fun to watch and we really learned this year how much better he makes other players. Letting young guys develop in the spacing he provides is really valuable IMO

While I understand the need/want to get something for an older player, I think it would be a mistake to go too young.

You need guys like Kevin Love to foster that winning culture in the locker room. Without it, you're just the Knicks without the big city draw.

Send him to Portland with Brandon Knight for Zach Collins, Meyers Leonard, Evan Turner, Skal Labissiere and their 2020 draft.

They should trade him if they can get even a shred of value.

On the comment that the Cavs should get some players with potential..I hope they do ,via draft or trades.
That part depends on what Koby can swing.

I don't have an issue with Love still being here..he's the only one of the 3 that was/is ok with his role and didn't want to rock the boat and cause confusion..although I wish he had brought some smack on those causing him problems or questioning his character.
I can't comment on what type of return the Cavs would get for him but it's possible if he's dealt it wouldn't be until the trade deadline.

They should trade him if they can get even a shred of value.

Like a late round pick? i mean they got a late first for George Hill, don't you want more than that for Love?

I think he has more value on the team than that. Just my thought. Like is a shot at Christian Eyenga worth Love? You would have to bring back dead money

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."