• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Official Game of Thrones [A Song of Ice and Fire] Thread (includes spoilers)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
When disney took over they went ahead and wiped out everything that wasn't movies and tv shows as non canon. So it will be interesting to see if they actually use that story to begin with or create something new for that time period.

Revan is still canon. I believe he showed up/was mentioned on one of the animated shows, which are all considered canon still. Same with the Mando Wars

In fairness to those two douchebags, I thought they did a very good job generally with AGOT until they ran out of source material. I suspect they'll do a good job with KOTOR given that they know exactly what they've got to work with right from the start.

Fool me once, shame on you (X-Men Origins). Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me three times and I'm just gonna shoot myself.

They will get no 3rd chance from me.

Also, as I said to someone else, they cut a HUGE chunk of source material outta books 4 and 5 and did a piss poor job replacing it with something that made sense. I mean, the moment they cut fAegon we got the Dorne plot. THAT'S what they came up with. That was their first real foray into creating their own plotline in this world and. it. sucked.

No. Unless of course D&D suddenly decided they can fly.

We don't really know that in the show. We do know that wights could cross the Wall because of the ones that were killed in Castle Black. So I suspect that while the attack by Viserion made it easier/faster for them to cross, and made for a nice dramatic shot, the Wall was so badly undermanned that the WW would have gotten over somehow, opened a gate, and that would have been it anyway.

Last edited:
One thing Tyrion was right about in season 7. When Jon called for Dany to fly North and rescue them. She never should have went.

I honestly think the ending of the show is perfectly satisfactory for the show. They rushed getting there and did some dumb things along the way, but I think the ending was excellent.

That said, I have no doubt that the book ending will be better, but then again, the book has been a better product since season one. IMO, there's almost no world in which a screen adaptation of ASOIAF is as good as the books.

I think 90% is theoretically achievable, and I think D&D got us to about 80%. That's outstanding. The bitter taste really comes from the fact that an additional season might have gotten us to that 90% :(

Well said. I really agree with this for the most part. DnD did us dirty in a way but I wont let it tarnish the legacy entirely. It is just surprising they would treat the story that way, with their names forever attached to it and all.

We don't really know that in the show. We do know that wights could survive south of the Wall because of the ones that were killed in Castle Black. So I suspect that while the attack by Viserion made it easier/faster for them to cross, and made for a nice dramatic shot, the Wall was so badly undermanned that the WW would have gotten over somehow, opened a gate, and that would have been it anyway.

Well it's SUPPOSED to be a magical barrier too...but I mean, who knows with the show. In Fire and Blood Alysanne's Dragon can't cross to the other side.

And are you kidding me??They didn't do a fucking BTS after that episode? So @theSTEREO. where did you hear they've been planning this end since s4? Ithought they may have said it in the BTS after the episode?

We don't really know that in the show. We do know that wights could cross the Wall because of the ones that were killed in Castle Black. So I suspect that while the attack by Viserion made it easier/faster for them to cross, and made for a nice dramatic shot, the Wall was so badly undermanned that the WW would have gotten over somehow, opened a gate, and that would have been it anyway.

The Wall was created for the simple purpose of keeping them out. I can't think it would be that simple for the NK.

Yea...this. Like....woo man. "She killed slavers therefore you shouldn't have cheered her on" is....that's definitely a stance to take by D&D (and now HBO, trying to damage control and pretend we all should have seen this coming).
  • Making the “and then they came for the communists” argument about slavers is ugly, ugly, ugly.

Well it's SUPPOSED to be a magical barrier too...but I mean, who knows with the show. In Fire and Blood Alysanne's Dragon can't cross to the other side.

And are you kidding me??They didn't do a fucking BTS after that episode? So @theSTEREO. where did you hear they've been planning this end since s4? Ithought they may have said it in the BTS after the episode?
It's been cited a bunch of places from an interview with D&D. Most recently saw it in a Vanity Fair article linking back to another Vanity Fair article from (2014?). But Vanity Fair is behind a pay wall after 5 articles so I can't find it. :(

The link is there in one of Joanna Robinson's most recent articles.

It's been cited a bunch of places from an interview with D&D. Most recently saw it in a Vanity Fair article linking back to another Vanity Fair article from (2014?). But Vanity Fair is behind a pay wall after 5 articles so I can't find it. :(

The link is there in one of Joanna Robinson's most recent articles.

Ok I know what you're talking about.

I was hoping to hear them say they've been planning this end since then.

Not that GRRM told them his end, which is what I think you're referring too.

Now, here's the real question for our all-seeing, all-knowing Bran.

Why did he tell Jon (or have Sam do it)? It served no purpose at all. Other than to play a part in the total destruction of King's Landing. Like......I don't ask because I think there's an answer (I know D&D don't have an answer to the question that makes sense), but just to point out the absurdity of the plot the last two seasons.

It was a way a to get rid of Dany and Jon so he can sit on the throne. I can't see it any other way as he came all the way to King's landing to be King. No one saw that coming but him, so I imagine he saw everything else too, gave Jon mild encouragement to tell his sisters the truth, which led to a situation where he needed to kill Dany and Bran could have the throne.

He played the game the best because he is the only one that can hack the game.

Are you just making a joke, or are you honestly confused why Jon Snow didn't make that decision? :chuckle:

I'm serious. He should have told them she had a hankering for some Mereenese tacos and flew away.

It was a way a to get rid of Dany and Jon so he can sit on the throne. I can't see it any other way as he came all the way to King's landing to be King. No one saw that coming but him, so I imagine he saw everything else too, gave Jon mild encouragement to tell his sisters the truth, which led to a situation where he needed to kill Dany and Bran could have the throne.

He played the game the best because he is the only one that can hack the game.

Unless...if he doesn't tell Jon, Jon grows too close to Danaerys to do what must be done, so she ends up burning half of Westeros instead of just King's Landing.

Unless...if he doesn't tell Jon, Jon grows too close to Danaerys to do what must be done, so she ends up burning half of Westeros instead of just King's Landing.

But...isn't part of the reasoning that she went "mad" is BECAUSE of Jon's heritage?

This whole thing blows.

This just makes so much more fucking sense if that's a fake Targaryen in Kings Landing and she burns it upon arrival in Westeros.

This is essentially what the show did.

In s7, Daenerys comes to Westeros and is all about the Throne. Rightfully so. Nothing terribly wrong with that, though she may be a little too full of herself.

Then, in e6, she is humbled, she admits as much. When Jon swears allegiance she wonders why because of all the people that are loyal to him and then says that "she hopes she deserves it."

So, as of s7e6, she's sorta come to grips with the fact that THrone isn't hers by divine mandate and she has to earn it and there are more important things.

And then s8 rolls around and we've just tossed all that in the trashcan.

Which again kinda points to the idea that they, at least imo, flipped the series of events around for w/e reason.

EDIT: And I can't even grasp what it is D&D are trying to argue.

Is she crazy because of the events that just transpired, or has she always been crazy. It appears they're trying to argue both sides of the coin here. Like...she wouldn't have done this if it weren't for X,Y,and Z happening all in quick succession but also remember when she didn't cry when Viserys was killed? She's always been this way.

You wrote the show, dudes. You tell me.

Last edited:
Feels like it could have been a good finale with more time spent building up to it. I didn't really have an issue with much that happened in a vacuum, but the real issue is that there was absolutely no build up to them nominating Bran. He's barely spoken to most of the characters who voted for him to be their king. They should have been planting the seeds for this the past two years since Bran returned to Winterfell. He should have been having conversations with all of these key characters and showcasing how useful his knowledge is. He should have been integral to winning the war against the Night King, not bait. He should have been rolling around proving his worth rather than simply spectating the final battle via ravens.

Like, what if he steals the Night King's dragon at some point in the battle and uses it to lay waste to the army of the dead at a crucial moment? They're about to be overrun and Bran buys them just enough time to retreat. Then his knowledge proves useful again in the final battle somewhere down in the south. All of a sudden, electing him as king doesn't seem so ridiculous because he's basically the reason there is still a kingdom.

Similarly, I don't necessarily take issue where a lot of the characters ended up. It's just the road there was way too fucking rushed.

I also think they should have exiled Jon rather than send him to the Night's Watch that has basically zero reason to exist at this point. They exile him and he chooses to go North rather than East like Jorah Mormont did.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."