• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Question about NBA Waivers...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ShakeNBake

Banned
Reaction score
How exactly does it work? could someone claim Marbury before friday and if so, who can do that and what contract would he get? I realize there is 0 chance of anyone claiming him, but it also seems like no one ever gets claimed. I guess I've just never really understood the process in any sport.

NBA Waivers

Bought-out players are placed on waivers, and it takes 48 hours to clear waivers. During the waiver period, any team may claim a waived player. If more than one team tries to claim the player, the team with the worst record gets him. If a player on waivers is claimed, the new team acquires his existing contract and pays the remainder of his salary (so that OKC would be relieved of having to pay any of Joe Smith's remaining salary). However, claiming players off waivers rarely happens, because there are some major restrictions on claiming a player off waivers. A team can claim a waived player only if one of the following is true:
  1. The team is far enough under the salary cap to fit the player's entire salary.
  2. The team has a Disabled Player exception for at least the player's salary.
  3. The team has a Traded Player exception for at least the player's salary.
  4. The player's contract is for one or two seasons and he is paid the minimum salary.
I don't think the Cavs qualify under any of these headings. According to Windhorst, the Snow injury doesn't qualify for a Disabled Player exception because the original injury happened before last season (LINK). Most NBA teams don't meet any of these requirements (and most high-interest players get paid more than the minimum). The Celtics don't meet this criteria either.

If no team claims a waived player, he has "cleared waivers." This is what happens in most cases. The player may sign with the team of his choice at that point. The player's new team often pays the prorated veteran's minimum salary to the player. The player's original team continues to pay the balance of the agreed-upon salary buyout.

There is an exception here that applies specifically to just-traded players -- during the season players who have been traded and bought out have to wait 30 days following the date of the trade to re-sign with the team that traded them away. This restriction doesn't apply to Joe Smith since that 30-day period has long passed. Earlier this year, McDyess had to wait 30 days to sign with Detroit. In contrast, Cassell officially signed with the Celtics shortly after he cleared waivers from the Clippers.

Timing is critical here. Bought-out players must be put on waivers before March 1 to be included on the new team's playoff roster. Sam Cassell was bought out and put on waivers on February 28, 2008. He signed with the Celtics on March 4, 2008, and subsequently played during the regular season and playoffs.

More on buyouts and waivers at this RCF Thread

I'm not 100% sure on all the details, but to claim someone off waivers, it also means that you have to pay them the remainder of their salary for the year.

That would mean if someone claimed Marbury, they would have to pick up the tab on the $7 million or so that he's still owed.

There's probably cap issues too... I just know that unless they're minimum players, or some sort of crazy circumstance, guys don't get claimed off waivers that often.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."