• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

North Korea readies missile, makes new threat.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Russia is a bigger joke than Korea.

If Russia tries to defend Korea, they might as well give up. They cannot even destroy their own military, how can they expect to defeat another, competent army.

Amherst, I agree about the military confusion in Russia. My concern with Russia is their control over the electricity grid throughout that side of the world. Their domination of the system is pretty intimidating and I wouldn't be surprised if they controlled most of Europe's energy by the next 15 years. Would they shut off energy supplies to our allies?

Of course, they too have the great equalizer, nuclear weapons. Russia's combination of energy monopolies and nuclear weapons creates a very devastating foe.

People seem to forget that S. Korea is also controlled under the US flag, and N Korea certainly has the ability to strike there or even Japan with a nuculear warhead.

However, Kim Jong Il just loves to do these kinds of things, but I do find it interesting that globally all of our "adversaries" have stepped up and threatened our Obama regime. I have a feeling that he's perceived as "soft" internationally, and I hope he's smart enough to put those doubts aside quickly.

America isn't likely to be destroyed in a couple of days via nuclear warheads, but with our economy hurting and our national spending at an all-time high, we could very feasibly be bankrupted very quickly. Remember, that's how Reagan won the cold war with Russia. We just drove their economy into the ground. Don't get so complacent as to think there aren't other countries in the world who'd be happy to do the same to us.

People seem to forget that S. Korea is also controlled under the US flag, and N Korea certainly has the ability to strike there or even Japan with a nuculear warhead.

However, Kim Jong Il just loves to do these kinds of things, but I do find it interesting that globally all of our "adversaries" have stepped up and threatened our Obama regime. I have a feeling that he's perceived as "soft" internationally, and I hope he's smart enough to put those doubts aside quickly.

America isn't likely to be destroyed in a couple of days via nuclear warheads, but with our economy hurting and our national spending at an all-time high, we could very feasibly be bankrupted very quickly. Remember, that's how Reagan won the cold war with Russia. We just drove their economy into the ground. Don't get so complacent as to think there aren't other countries in the world who'd be happy to do the same to us.

Excellent post. Which is why the thought of Russia and China conjoining forces scares the hell out of me. And it's not out of the question it could happen. If China asked for us to pay them back, we'd literally be bankrupt.

I was talking about Russia and China joining, not Russia siding with NKorea, something they would never do.

?

That seems even more unlikely. I am pretty sure that Russia and China hate each other to the bitter end.

Now, I'm not saying that it cannot happen, but unless China and Russia have really changed their relations since the 80's, it's unlikely.

Amherst, I agree about the military confusion in Russia. My concern with Russia is their control over the electricity grid throughout that side of the world. Their domination of the system is pretty intimidating and I wouldn't be surprised if they controlled most of Europe's energy by the next 15 years. Would they shut off energy supplies to our allies?

Of course, they too have the great equalizer, nuclear weapons. Russia's combination of energy monopolies and nuclear weapons creates a very devastating foe.

While all very good and very valid points, I don't think there is any Russian who could coordinate it well enough to repel any meaningful forces. The only thing the Russians ever did well in a Military sense was waiting for Russian winters and WWII.

Haha that made me laugh pretty hard.

But their nuclear weapons won't even come close to hitting us. Also, I know a girl who is a clandestine agent. I spoke with her the first time Kim decided to flex his muscle. She basically said NKorea is a joke. She hinted that they China really has no allegiance to NKorea and wouldn't be in their best interest to side with them. Russia on the other hand...

Make no mistake....Kim is insane. If something were to escalate and we started handing him his ass, I could see him doing the murder suicide thing. Basically say - "If I'm going down I'm taking all of Japan and South Korea with me". So, I'm not concerned about the nukes hitting us. My concern is them using them on our our carrier groups or South Korea and Japan. He's crazy enough to do it and it is no doubt in his playbook.

Yeah what he said.....beat me by 4 minutes. :chuckles:

Make no mistake....Kim is insane. If something were to escalate and we started handing him his ass, I could see him doing the murder suicide thing. Basically say - "If I'm going down I'm taking all of Japan and South Korea with me". So, I'm not concerned about the nukes hitting us. My concern is them using them on our our carrier groups or South Korea and Japan. He's crazy enough to do it and it is no doubt in his playbook.

Agreed to an extent. I think he's more neurotic and unbalanced than crazy. I think we could call his bluff and he wouldn't do shit. Then again, I'm sitting in my comfy apartment in downtown Cleveland. What the hell do I know.

Off Topic. Eric Cantor is on MSNBC right now. This guy gives me ultra douche chills, like worse than Harry Reid.

?

That seems even more unlikely. I am pretty sure that Russia and China hate each other to the bitter end.

Now, I'm not saying that it cannot happen, but unless China and Russia have really changed their relations since the 80's, it's unlikely.

While all very good and very valid points, I don't think there is any Russian who could coordinate it well enough to repel any meaningful forces. The only thing the Russians ever did well in a Military sense was waiting for Russian winters and WWII.

Since I am 100% Russina (born in the USA), I will turn the other cheek :chuckles:
Their hatred would easily be mended it it meant supreme power and a takeover of the United States...if they wanted to. And it wasn't hatred. It was more of a battle to be in 2nd place behind the U.S.

The Korean war is still going actually. Although combat operations ceased sometime in 1953 when the United States, North Korea, and China signed an armistice, the War itself was never officially ended and the De-Militarized Zone which designates the border between North and South Korea , usually called " The 38th Parallel and it has been remained one of the heaviest armed stretches of land on the planet since the Cease Fire. Mines are still all around.

Everyone needs to understand, war with North Korea is strategically impossible without being willing to accept tremendous losses for our allies (South Korea and Japan) and probably resorting to a strategic nuclear engagement. There are several reasons that each of these concepts holds.

First, understand that North Korea probably has roughly 5 ready to go uranium gun-style nuclear weapons. They're previous test is believed to be a plutonium implosion-style device that either failed, was extremely low yield, or was an attempt to achieve boosting (enhancing a standard 15-20 kt device to 250+ kt also granting an arbitrary yield with minimal weapons-grade material). Either way, we know they have sufficient weapons-grade uranium and plutonium to have built at least 10 15kt devices. Building a gun-style nuke is within the means of a high school science class, given the materials, whereas the plutonium device requires far more precision, development, and the proper equipment.

Second, even without their nuclear capacity, (let's assume we destroyed it with a preemptive nuclear strike, or that our anti-missile batteries in S.Korea and off the coast destroyed them) N. Korea is still left with hundreds of thousands of ready-to-launch mortars aimed at S. Korea. Furthermore, the DPRK is known to have chemical agents at their disposal that could easily be mounted on their rather large and reliable medium range missile arsenal. The threat of a WMD attack against Japan is severe, in any scenario of military conflict against N. Korea.

Lastly, any air assault against N. Korea would bring about a full response against S. Korea. We're talking about tens of thousands of American troops (our 'tripwire') probably being overrun by half a million ready-to-die N. Korean soldiers (again, soldiers. not angry civilians wrapped in blankets with AK-47s).

While the United States could "win" a conflict against N. Korea, the losses could be far greater than those incurred in Vietnam, and there are almost no plausible scenarios in which nuclear weapons wouldn't be used by either side. Politically, it would end any Presidency and destroy any political party's hopes to govern for the next 20 years; therefore, it's very difficult to see any administration advocating an attack against North Korea. And to that end, it makes perfect sense why the North Koreans developed nuclear weapons in the first place. From the moment they developed their first nuclear warhead they were assured to never be bombed, and to always be relevant on the world stage. Now, if we want them to give us their nuclear material (yea right), then they're going to want to be paid -- billions.

IMO, the best strategy to use against N. Korea is to impose 100% international sanctions, including all forms food and medical supplies, and simply ignore them. Have high flying aircraft carriers jam all transmissions over their country with Flavor/Rock of Love, and other pop culture programs. Beyond that, starvation would quickly force them to into a regime change.

Uranium for food sounds good to me.

The Korean war is still going actually. Although combat operations ceased sometime in 1953 when the United States, North Korea, and China signed an armistice, the War itself was never officially ended and the De-Militarized Zone which designates the border between North and South Korea , usually called " The 38th Parallel and it has been remained one of the heaviest armed stretches of land on the planet since the Cease Fire. Mines are still all around.

While the war was technically never ended, it technically never officially started either ;)

Wasnt it a Police Conflict with the US?

Yes. One of the more egregious Constitutional abuses, solely for political expedience, that established a terrible precedent that's still used today. I understand that Truman and his advisers didn't want to be formally tied down in a war without clear objectives; however, our Constitution doesn't allow for "Police" action that violates the sovereignty of another nation. And while waging war against N. Korea was the right decision, we should have declared war formally to preserve the legality/legitimacy of the war and future conflicts (and we should have finished the job; which probably would have prevented the Vietnam War as well).

I think this is very bad news. We are in two wars right now and have a huge national debt. Almost the whole middle east hates us and imo they will work with who ever it takes to kill us. If a nuke were to hit china it would be bad news to us because of what all they export to us. Also kim is crazy and will to what it takes to hurt the USA. The question won't be would we win (we would) but what would we lose.

I think if it would happen, it would be a Vietnam all over again.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."