• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Official Rock / Indie / Alternate Music Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retire the #11
Reaction score
Time to start a new thread for those of us who have heard enough pop and hip hop to put a gun to your head. Nothing against those who are into those genre's but we are being saturated. There is some good stuff, but it gets lost easily amoungst the general shit.

Anyways back to the real music.

What's floating your boat these days.

About to pick up the Doves new album and hoping it is as good as their previous efforts.

Anything out there I / we should know about.

Im down with The Doves. That song they had Catch The Sun is in one of my playlists.

Dont know if you browsed the Good Music thread lately, but I've been pimping this band from New York named Bishop Allen pretty hard.

I just watched "Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist" with the wife, and low and behold, Bishop Allen was performing in the movie, so it seems word is getting around.

They released an EP for every month of the year last year with about 4-5 songs on each, and each of the EPs kinda reflect the season. Its pretty cool.

Their most recently released disc is called "Grrr" and I havent heard it yet, but the last disc "The Broken String" is pretty good all the way through.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LpmrZbTu1o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LpmrZbTu1o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Also, Im going to check out this band here in Nashville on Tuesday, they are a pretty good up and coming indie group named Manchester Orchestra. Sorta sound like Modest Mouse a little bit. Check them out too if you like that kinda stuff.

Cheers Rch, I'll look into them.

As for the Doves, The Man Who Told Everything form their debut album is a classic. Kingdom of Rust is their new single. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Cheers Rch, I'll look into them.

As for the Doves, The Man Who Told Everything form their debut album is a classic. Kingdom of Rust is their new single. Good stuff.

I just added them to my LastFM account off your recommendation. Thx!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LpmrZbTu1o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LpmrZbTu1o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've heard that song quite a few times. Good to put a band name to a song.

Did you see Radiohead on their American tour? I'm pissed they didn't come down here.

Good thread idea. Yeah I just dloaded the new Doves album and it's really good work. the 8th track, spellbound, is imo the best track. Right now I'm listening to a bunch of stuff. I just found out about this folk/indie artist, Willy Mason. Normally, I don't like folk too much but I can listen to this guy. As far as some alternative stuff you can't go wrong with Band of Horses. And I can never get sick of the funk guitar song Maggot Brain. Eddie Hazel was a genius.

Willy Mason

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh3bleXWaCk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh3bleXWaCk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good thread idea. Yeah I just dloaded the new Doves album and it's really good work. the 8th track, spellbound, is imo the best track. Right now I'm listening to a bunch of stuff. I just found out about this folk/indie artist, Willy Mason. Normally, I don't like folk too much but I can listen to this guy. As far as some alternative stuff you can't go wrong with Band of Horses. And I can never get sick of the funk guitar song Maggot Brain. Eddie Hazel was a genius.

Willy Mason

I discover a ton of not-so-well-known indie music/rap/rock at SadSteve.com. It's an awesome site and 100% legal and free,=.

I've heard that song quite a few times. Good to put a band name to a song.

Did you see Radiohead on their American tour? I'm pissed they didn't come down here.

Actually, I was still living in Ohio when they came to Cuyahoga Falls Blossom Music Center but I couldnt get off work for that day. :mad: Dudes were like minutes from where I was and I couldnt get away from the desk.

I will see them live. So help me.

I just filled out that top 5 guitarists of all time thing on facebook, and made Johnny Greenwood my #5. Still listening to In Rainbows like it came out yesterday.

Whilst picking up the Doves latest effort, a stumbled across Silversun Pickups newbie. Not too bad. The Doves album is a standout though.

Whilst picking up the Doves latest effort, a stumbled across Silversun Pickups newbie. Not too bad. The Doves album is a standout though.

Can't remember the name of it, but I was a big fan of the last Silversun Pickups album.

Unfortunately I haven't caught up with anything super new... I'm gonna check out the Doves album you guys have been talking about. I've been hung up listening to a few from last year in recent weeks, like M83's "Saturday=Youth" and some Bon Iver.

I've also weirdly been on a Brian Jonestown Massacre kick too if you wanna get some old rock n roll out.

I haven't currently looked for any new indie bands, but Ive been stuck on "Film School for about a year or so now. I like almost all their stuff. "Like you know" is prolly my favorite song.

Time to start a new thread for those of us who have heard enough pop and hip hop to put a gun to your head. Nothing against those who are into those genre's but we are being saturated. There is some good stuff, but it gets lost easily amoungst the general shit.

Anyways back to the real music.

What's floating your boat these days.

About to pick up the Doves new album and hoping it is as good as their previous efforts.

Anything out there I / we should know about.

I dunno if you like stuff that leans into the hardcore genre, but a really unique band I love is Enter Shikari.. you should check them out they are from the UK.. absolutely amazing trance/hardcore

they are from the UK

:chuckles:

I'm into Hip-Hop but I thought I could promote a band I like which is Airbourne. They're from my hometown in Victoria and they sound a lot like ACDC, so if you liked ACDC then check them out.

I dunno if you like stuff that leans into the hardcore genre, but a really unique band I love is Enter Shikari.. you should check them out they are from the UK.. absolutely amazing trance/hardcore

Yeah heard a few of their songs. Not my cup of tea.

Speaking of the UK (the kings of Indie) a new band by the name of "White Lies" have a solid debut album.

:chuckles:

I'm into Hip-Hop but I thought I could promote a band I like which is Airbourne. They're from my hometown in Victoria and they sound a lot like ACDC, so if you liked ACDC then check them out.
I've seen them live. Crazy ****ers. Very unoriginal. Fun to watch, not good to listen to.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."