• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

if we can sign that LITHU pg- DO we still get in this draft ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Sarunas is a risk, but I guess these need to be taken to go places. Sarunas is considered the best free agent point guard on the market. Its just that he isn't NBA proven that makes us nervous. Maybe we can sign Z afterall for 14 million. He just comes with a bonus Lithuanian.

dice.gif
Karma said:
Sarunas is a risk, but I guess these need to be taken to go places. Sarunas is considered the best free agent point guard on the market.

MAN........ roll the damn things and take a chance.
dice.gif

I'd only consider Sarunas a backup plan if nothing better can get done. My 1st choice is getting high enough in the draft to take one of the top PG's although that will be very tough to do.
The biggest question about Sarunas is his defensive ability. He's not known as a great defender or as having the greatest quickness. He is a good shooter and leader and can run an offense pretty well. He also wouldn't address the PG situation long term since he's already 29.

Guard Earl Watson wants to play for a winner and says he doesn't care whether he starts, as long as he's playing behind one of the league's best point guards. But don't expect him to return to the Grizzlies, he says.

I wonder weather he is still on our radar?

I just find it hard to work out how we can sign him. We are either signing or sign and trading Ilgauskas. So lets say 10 million is gone. We are trying our but off with these shooting guards. Another 10 million gone. Does that leave us with enough space to attack Watson in free agency. He would know that he has a starting spot him if not now, but in the not to distant future. If we then get in the draft we can be looking at bigs rather then a point.

Personally speaking, I would rather attack Watson then Daniels.

Maybe you can answer me a question which in turn might answer yours(as far as if we could also afford Watson).

If the Cavs were to resign Ilgausakas after the free agency period as opposed to before it would we be able to go further over the cap?

In other words if the Cavs were to sign a few free agents then Z would the Cavs be able to use more money because the league is suppose to let you go over the cap to resign your own players?

If the Cavs were to resign Z 1st then go after free agents that would leave less money if this is a legitimate scenario but that's why I'm asking you if it is or not.

Not to sure dude. I know that Z has some sort of cap hold at the moment. Not sure of the legalities here.

I'll putting a call out to the cap experts out there!!! (Narl)

I see where you are going with this though, and it does make sense. If and how we do it, I don't know.

We'd have to renounce Z before we could sign other players. Z must be dealt with first. Resign, renounce, or trade. Until one of these happens Z count 16 million against the cap.

If you renounce then do you lose your ability to sign one of your own players and go over the cap with that signing?

I think if we renounce Ilgauskas, we cannot go over the cap to sign him, or sign and trade him.

Not sure???

So much for thinking we could stack the roster and keep Z.

E Light is right that Z has to be dealt with 1st. I know the contracts of a team's FA still count on the cap as a cap hold until a decision is made on that player. There are different rules regarding how much th ecap hold is with some players counting more than others. I'm not positive how it's figured out.

If Z is resigned at a contract starting at $10 million or below the Cavs still have money left to add one of the top FA's. With talk that the cap could rise to as much as $48 to 50 million the Cavs could then still have enough left over to add another fairly decent FA. There could be enough to add a Daniels or Watson if the cap does go up that much. I'm not sure if either is worth real big money though. Always be careful about overpaying for average talent.

Say we have around 5 million to play with. Who do you look to sign?

Daniels, Watson or Sarunas?

That's what good GM and talent evaluating is for.
Determinig who actually has the skills to do what you need in the concept of the team you have or plan to have.

A good front office can look at what a player has done and his abilities and determine what he is worth and if they know what they are doing they pay average salaries for average talent and higher salaries in accordance with that players abilities.

Pray, pray, pray we get some good front office people in there and Gilbert isn't the one making these decisions or he may be about to kill this team and any chance of LeBron coming back all by himself.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."