• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Boozer possibly not opting out?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

col63onel

Brad Daugherty Fan Club
Reaction score
LINK

Carlos Boozer has a tough decision ahead of him tomorrow. Boozer has until 5 p.m. on Tuesday to decide whether to exercise a player option on his contract with the Utah Jazz. The contract is set to pay Boozer $12.7 million next season if he opts in. Could he make more than that on the open market?

Boozer isn't so sure. Sources close to Boozer told ESPN.com that the power forward is still mulling his options and won't make a decision until Tuesday. However, sources say that there's a significant chance that Boozer will exercise his player option and return to the Jazz next season.

A few months ago, Boozer was much more confident about his decision. He told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan that he was opting out in December. "I'm opting out. No matter what, I'm going to get a raise regardless," Boozer told ESPN.com. "I am going to opt out. I don't see why I wouldn't. I think it's a very good business decision for me and my family, but I'd also like to see what happens with the Jazz and stay here."

The landscape has changed a lot since Boozer made his statement in December. The financial meltdown has caused owners to pull back on spending. The free agent landscape is pretty dicey. Only three teams -- the Pistons, Thunder and Grizzlies -- have enough money under the cap to offer Boozer a substantial deal. Two of those teams, the Thunder and Grizzlies, are young teams in the process of rebuilding. Boozer is not in either team's plans, according to sources.

That leaves the Pistons and Jazz. For months it was assumed that Boozer would land in Detroit. But last week Pistons sources told ESPN.com that Boozer wasn't the team's highest priority and that if they pursued him, they weren't willing to give him the $13-15 million a year he's looking for.

The Jazz aren't in a great position to re-sign him either. Utah has to sign another free agent, Paul Millsap, and possibly a second, Mehmet Okur, if he opts out of his contract. Okur's agent told The Associated Press on Monday that his client was leaning toward opting out. Those two contracts would put the Jazz near the luxury tax threshold. It's unlikely they would go over to re-sign Boozer.

If neither the Pistons nor Jazz offered Boozer a contract, he might be forced to take the mid-level exception from a team -- a drastic $7 million pay cut for Boozer next season.

That, according to sources, is what is keeping Boozer up at night. If he opts out, he's taking a huge gamble ... one that few GMs expect him to take.

"As soon as it looked like the Pistons were the only team with the money and desire to pay him," one Eastern Conference GM said, "I knew Boozer would be changing his mind. Unless I knew for sure that the Pistons would pay me big bucks, you just can't make that gamble. I fully expect him to be back with the Jazz next year."

Insert sarcastic joke about Boozer going back on his word.

In seriousness, this could force the Pistons to be a bigger player for CV.

lol, he's opting out...he'll do it tomorrow.

He's waiting until he gets a handshake agreement with the JAzz owner before opting out.

Windy said that since he is getting a divorce, he will get more money as long as he gets 7M or more. He has to give half of his current contract to his wifey, but a new one would not be split. There are rumors they are reconciling so who knows.

Windy said that since he is getting a divorce, he will get more money as long as he gets 7M or more. He has to give half of his current contract to his wifey, but a new one would not be split. There are rumors they are reconciling so who knows.

Well if the Pistons don't want him and the Jazz don't want him, he isn't getting 7 mil this year. If he stays in Utah, he can sign a bigger deal next year.

If Boozer opts out, Varejao probably stays put and vice versa. I hope he opts out.

So Boozer and she-she are going to reconcile eh? Is that a verbal agreement? You know how they are with verbal agreements....:chuckles:

Boozer should actually just pick up his option. There are limited teams with cap room for him. Plus, I doubt anyone would want to give him 13-15 mill since he just came off of an injury. I don't see what is so difficult about the decision.

As a business decision, he needs to take the option....

He's due like $12.7 million on that option and if a team like Detroit isn't going to give him a big deal....then he MIGHT get stuck playing for the MLE....a paycut of almost $7 miilion!

Now I'm not sure about the terms of his divorce....so if his next contract is not part of that, perhaps that would change things financially for Boozer.

For the MLE....I'd take him over Charlie V...even if it's just for one season.:D

Detroit is playing cat and mouse here....if need be they will likely sign Boozer to a decent deal....BUT...I'm guessing they'd rather have Millsap, so if they make it seem like they don't want Boozer they may just SCARE him into taking his option and give them a better shot at Millsap.

Looks like he might make a lot more money if he opts out:

Could Carlos Boozer's marital status decide signing?
from Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports by J.E. Skeets

Matt Watson at Detroit Bad Boys poses a fascinating question/scenario/theory regarding whether or not free agent Carlos Boozer will exercise his $12.7 million player option with the Utah Jazz for next season:

It's no secret that Boozer in the midst of a divorce — court documents were filed in March, and a petition is still on record even though the couple is reportedly attempting to reconcile.

Why does this matter?

Should they officially separate, word on the street is that Boozer's wife is entitled to half of his current contract, but since divorce papers have already been filed, she has no claim on any new contract. I'm hardly a lawyer, but I can add and subtract, so if this is true, it means Boozer would actually take home more money if he signed a one-year, $6.5 million contract than if he stayed put and earned $12.7 million. Or, from Detroit's perspective, thinking Boozer might bite on a multi-year deal with a starting salary of $10 million is suddenly no longer a reach.
Boozer, a two-time All-Star, declared his intention to opt out in December, with little indication until now that things had changed. Could he and his wife, CeCe, kissed and made up? We shall know soon enough.

CeCe strikes again!

Couldn't the Pistons still trade for him though? It would be like when the Clippers traded a 2nd round pick for Marcus Camby. Actually if Detroit did that it might be better for them. They get Loozers bird rights, and he would expire in 2010, plus they would only take a $12 million dollar contract instead of a $14 million dollar contract.

"Significant chance" Boozer does NOT opt out...

Carlos Boozer will decide on Tuesday whether to opt out of the final year of his contract with the Jazz, which would pay him $12.7 million.
Boozer said in December that he would opt out "no matter what", but only the Grizzlies, Pistons and Thunder are in a position to offer him a big contract. According to ESPN, neither the Grizzlies nor the Thunder intend to pursue Boozer, and the Pistons won't offer him the $13-$15 million deal he wants. There is reportedly a "significant chance" that he will not opt out, but he has until 5 p.m. Tuesday to make his decision.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NBA&hl=116400

Not great news. Still has some time though...

For those that dont know, this offseason will be simular to next years offseason. Their was some hype about this offseason and some of the talent available, but when all the dust is settled, not nearly as many stars will be changing teams as though. Some will, but i dont think any of the super stars will leave thier teams except maybe bosh and amare...but those will be by trade.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."