• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

#4 Ole Miss loses to unranked South Carolina

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

xAusT1n

In the Rotation
Reaction score
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Mississippi wasn't ready for the Top 5 -- or South Carolina's defense.

Star passer Jevan Snead was hounded all game and the fourth-ranked Rebels never got in gear, losing to South Carolina 16-10 Thursday night.

"I'm glad it's gone," left tackle Bradley Sowell said of the high-intensity spotlight, "so we can just get back to basics and win ballgames."

South Carolina (3-1, 1-1 Southeastern Conference) had been 1-31 all-time against Top 5 foes, but left Williams-Brice Stadium with the biggest win of coach Steve Spurrier's five seasons.

Spencer Lanning kicked three field goals and fullback Patrick DiMarco a key 2-yard TD catch for the Gamecocks.

"It was good to get a win when everybody watches," Spurrier said. "It was good for all Gamecocks."

Ole Miss (2-1, 0-1) had one last chance at a go-ahead TD that would've extended its eight-game winning streak. But Snead was sacked by Cliff Matthews, then had a fourth-down pass knocked away by Darian Stewart.

The Rebels began the day with their highest ranking in nearly four decades. But they lost their SEC opener for the sixth straight season -- and will likely drop down the polls once the new rankings come out.

It's also the fourth straight week of the season that saw a Top 5 team tumble, following No. 3 Oklahoma's loss to BYU on Sept. 5, No. 5 Oklahoma State's loss to Houston on Sept. 12 and No. 3 Southern Cal's loss to Washington a week ago.

The Gamecocks jumped around when the game ended, celebrating a victory these players had never enjoyed before at their own stadium. South Carolina's lone top-5 win came at North Carolina in 1981.

"It was a pretty ugly win, but a win and we'll take it every time," Gamecocks quarterback Stephen Garcia said.

Snead came into the season with a Tim Tebow-like buzz -- Spurrier even voted him preseason first-team SEC quarterback before changing to Tebow.

Snead, though, flopped in front a national audience eager to see what the Rebels were made of.

The Ole Miss junior missed six straight throws during one stretch and only once came through with a critical play. His 45-yard TD pass to Markeith Summers with under 10 minutes left in the game that cut it to 16-10.

South Carolina's defense had to come through after that because the offense, which controlled things for much of the first three quarters went three-and-out on its final four possessions.

Snead's 11-yard pass to Pat Patterson brought Ole Miss to the Gamecock 32 with 2:55 to play. Then coach Houston Nutt tried to outfox South Carolina.

A carry by Brandon Bolden out of the "Wild Rebel" package went for a yard. A double reverse to Dexter McCluster lost 4 yards.

Matthews followed with his sack of Snead before Stewart preserved the win by batting down the final pass.

"We thought we could beat them. Thought it was a toss-up game," Spurrier said. "But the way it turned out, the way our defense played, 16 points was enough."

Snead had thrown at least two TD passes in each of his past eight games and the Rebels were averaging 424 yards and 48 points a game coming in. Yet, he finished this game 7 of 21 for 107 yards and the team came far short of their earlier production.

"We really hurt ourselves and we continued to do it all throughout the game, into the last series. It's tough," Snead said.

Right from the start, Snead and the Rebels looked tight. They had only four drives in the opening half, three that ended without a first down.

Eric Norwood ended the Rebels' first drive with his school-record 27th sack.

Snead passed for just 30 yards as the Rebels were outgained by South Carolina 181-71 in the first 30 minutes.

Bolden appeared to get things going with a 59-yard touchdown run. A holding penalty, however, brought that back and the Rebels eventually settled for their only points of the half on Joshua Shene's 42-yard field goal.

Mississippi came close to scoring just once more, but instead of another field goal, Nutt went with a fake. Holder Justin Sparks' pass to Derrick Davis came up 2 yards shy of a first down.

The Gamecocks had more plays and more yardage. They, too, though had trouble finding the end zone.

Garcia fumbled away one drive after a sack on Ole Miss 16 in the first quarter. An illegal shift on the Rebels' 4 led to Lanning's first field goal.

Freshman receiver Tori Gurley caught Garcia's pass and took it in for a 12-yard score right before halftime. But South Carolina was flagged for an ineligible receiver downfield. Lanning converted a 20-yard field goal to put the Gamecocks ahead 6-3 at the break.

-ESPN.com

Another top 5 team loses, i wonder how far they are going to push back OSU this week after we destroy another team....

Florida
Alabama
Texas
-------------------
Rest

Dexter McCluster looked pretty good tonight though. He reminds me of a Darren Sproles type, someone who isn't that big but is lightning fast and would probably serve as an elite kick/punt return man.

overrated clap clap clap clap clap

-ESPN.com

Another top 5 team loses, i wonder how far they are going to push back OSU this week after we destroy another team....

Guy, you sound like a fan boy, you guys barely got by a service academy, lost to a team that lost to a team that didnt win a game last year...so your solid W of beating Toledo is going to send you into the top 10? Right.

Ole Miss didnt have a chance in this, COLA is a tough place to play in regardless of rank, Ole Miss is young and will be right back in the hunt, its the SEC, not some joke conference like the Big 10.

Guy, you sound like a fan boy, you guys barely got by a service academy, lost to a team that lost to a team that didnt win a game last year...so your solid W of beating Toledo is going to send you into the top 10? Right.

Ole Miss didnt have a chance in this, COLA is a tough place to play in regardless of rank, Ole Miss is young and will be right back in the hunt, its the SEC, not some joke conference like the Big 10.

You know how it goes James. We're just looking for some consistancy. If you are going to drop OSU than drop Oklahoma. There was no reason to move OSU down in the rankings based on what has happened on the field this year. Take away personal biases and it just shouldnt happen, and if it does than Oklahoma should have moved down and USC should be below us, because at least OSU didnt lose to an unranked team. I know you love to argue with everyone on here, but how can you honestly defend how OSU dropped so far compared to OK?

Who argues about ranking in week 4?!?

Guy, you sound like a fan boy, you guys barely got by a service academy

This just proves you know nothing.
In the last seven years, Navy has consistently been one of the top rushing teams in the country, never finishing lower than third.

To drum up network ratings.
To give the general public a rough idea where teams stand in the eyes of people more qualified to make the decision.
Something to read in the morning.
:coffee:

Jevon Snead was very disappointing. He looked off, like WAY off. He will be a bust. Yes, this is based on one game, and I am sticking to it. I think he just cost himself about 5 mil last night.

EDIT: the Stains better suck a tremendous phallus if the plan on getting Berry.

Why even have rankings in Week 4 then?

They should come out with a poll until at least 6 or 7 games have been played ... that way you can really see who belongs and who doesn't .....

being unranked and having to hop over 25-40 teams is tough ......

This just proves you know nothing.
In the last seven years, Navy has consistently been one of the top rushing teams in the country, never finishing lower than third.

I dont need to hear about stats about Navy, I would have been a 4th Generation Midshipmen had I gone there, I told people on here a year ago that I wouldnt be surprised if osu lost that game. That still doesnt change the fact that Navy doesnt get the same kind of players that osu gets and that game should have been a blow out.

Oklahoma, while just as bad as osu in big games plays in a better conference then osu, thus they get a little more respect.

I dont need to hear about stats about Navy, I would have been a 4th Generation Midshipmen had I gone there, I told people on here a year ago that I wouldnt be surprised if osu lost that game. That still doesnt change the fact that Navy doesnt get the same kind of players that osu gets and that game should have been a blow out.

Oklahoma, while just as bad as osu in big games plays in a better conference then osu, thus they get a little more respect.

little more respect = A LOT more respect

BIG 12 team got crushed by Toledo, who in turn got crushed by tOSU. Just sayin'....

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-12: "Max Strus Juice"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."