• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Do people from Cleveland (NE Ohio) have an accent?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pop or Soda

• Pop

Votes: 53 82.8%
  • Soda

Votes: 11 17.2%

• Total voters

Chardon

MOD
Reaction score
So i was sitting in class the first day of the semester, and this big cowboy lookin dude sits next to me, and some how we got to talking about how he has a weird southern accent. And then he told me they our ( we ) accent is funny sounding. I was all like "What accent?"
And that got me thinking, do we have some type of accent. He told me people up here dont say the D in Cleveland, we pronounce it like ' Clevelan' I have noticed a long "A" in a lot of the words. Such as the name "AAAnne" may be pronounced or "cat" as "caat". Get= Git

And no, im not talking about that obnoxious NY accents. Or the Foreign Language they speak in Pittsburgh. Giant Eagle= 'Juant Iggl'

Re: Do people from Cleveland(NE Ohio) have an accent?

Man, Pittsburgh accents are nuts. Unmistakable.

Columbus people have accents.

For the most part, Northeast Ohioans have non-regional diction (so we can all apply to be broadcasters!), but there is a faint West Side of Cleveland and/or Parma accent that sounds just like what you described Chardon. It's almost like a really really really really subtle Minnesota accent. Really faint though (if you know anyone from MN or WI, you know what I'm talking about :chuckles:)

Last edited:

i always assumed we were the only people that didn't have an accent to be honest.

i always assumed we were the only people that didn't have an accent to be honest.

That's how it always is!!!!!!! People down south don't think they have accents either, but we talk funny to them. Everyone has an accent of some sort!

We don't have an accent, you do! lol

A small list of the areas with accents:
Canada (Eh?)
New York
Boston
New Jersey
Maine
The South
The Deep South
Britain
France
Everywhere except Northeast Ohio

We don't have an accent, you do! lol

A small list of the areas with accents:
Canada (Eh?)
New York
Boston
New Jersey
Maine
The South
The Deep South
Britain
France
Everywhere except Northeast Ohio

In a perfect world thats how it is!.

I went away to school in the mid 90s and every time I came home the speech patterns got slower and slower and with more a pronounced drawl.

Nah, we may have odd speech patterns and words that we say, but our accent is non existent. Here in Texas people look at me funny because I talk properly.

I should go into broadcasting down here for sure, since you can actually understand me.

All I know is that the Chicago accent is the least attractive on a woman of all the American accents.

If you guys don't know what the NE Ohio accent is, you need to get out more.

Seriously, travel.

To be honest, I never noticed it. I knew news anchors were trained to have the Ohio-like accent, but, being from NE Ohio, I never noticed it. That is, until I was taking a course here called "Vocals for the Actor" and had a visiting professor not from Ohio. He pointed out that, in words like "cat" or "ant" with that vowel sound, there was a nasality to those a's. He said it was an annoying sound and that I needed to fix it.

Instead of that, I ensured myself that I would use it as often as possible. Fuck teachers. I didn't make fun of his Bostonian accent. Just his basketball team.

Well, funny story. Me and my family went to Disney World a few years back. Me, my dad, and my sister went on Mission Space in Epcot, my mom decided not to go on, so she stayed in the gift shop and started a conversation with a local women in Orlando (like Jigo). They talked for awhile, and then the lady asked my mom if she was from the Cleveland area because she could tell from my moms accent. It was creepy yet suprising at the same time. I guess we do have accents.

We talk right everyone else talks wrong!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."