• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

So how did they do?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TruBuckeye22

Buying Big 10 tile rings
Reaction score
coming into the draft picking at 25 the Cavs were at the mercy of the draft and have to wait and see who would fall to them. it seems from everything I have read and heard on TV Shannon Brown was a very good pick at that stage in the draft. I know a couple weeks ago there were a lot of big on Brown but then everyone seemed to fall in love with Douby. While Douby may have the better offensive game when you consider Brown puts out max effort on defense maybe he will end up being better for the Cavs.

They way I look at Brown is Flip Murray without the broken jumper so that should close the door on any need to bring back Flip.

I am a big fan of Daniel Gibson, especially at number 42. I for one hope they hold on to him and don't make that trade with the Spurs. He is not the perfect answer at PG but because the Cavs have LeBron, Hughes, and Snow who can run the offense the Cavs can let Gibson develope and not throw him right into the fire. Now I don't think he will ever lead the league in assists but I do believe if he puts the work in he could be simular to a guy like Jason Terry. I doubt the Cavs will ever need Gibson to score like Terry does for the Mavs but I see him more as that type of PG.

Don't know much about the guy at 55 but maybe Ferry found a guy who can contribute in a few years if not no big deal.

What trade with the Spurs?

The trade of Gibson for Luis Scola....

not gonna happen because I think Ferry really likes Gibson alot

Brown was on the shortlist of Chad Ford possible Rookie of the Year...not that I think he is going to win it but I think we have landed ourselevs a solid contrbuter at 25 ad he is goign to get 15 to 20 mins every night and he can be a real backup for Hughes

Gibson is another solid pick especially at 42...I think that he is goign to be our Ben Gordon where we can use him at the 1 but play him off the ball while LeBron or Larry is doing the ball handling....good shooter scorer defender and gives us a prospect for the future at PG which is nice

Oh yeah, right. How quickly I forgot.

Well, I like Gibson at 42 for Scola much better than I like Gibson at 25 for Scola, ie. I wouldn't want to spend my first round pick on Scola, but for a second rounder that's not bad. Especially since Brown and Gibson are at least a little redundant.

If we get West and still have Snow on the roster, do you think Gibson gets 15-20 a night? Somehow I doubt it. I think Snow will play when West sits and Brown when Larry sits. I guess if Larry misses most of the season again, Gibson will get those kind of minutes, but otherwise?

Brown could be a great player here. The rest of the offseason Ferry needs to go about trimming the fat of what's left, and possibly upgrading the PG position at starter. I think Brown can definitely take care of Flip.

And Gibson can hopefully learn from Snow(if he is still around), and possibly push him for PT by the end of the year/next year. And if he doesn't work out, all we really spent on him was a few hundred thousand dollar trade exception(taking that contract).

Style said:
Oh yeah, right. How quickly I forgot.

Well, I like Gibson at 42 for Scola much better than I like Gibson at 25 for Scola, ie. I wouldn't want to spend my first round pick on Scola, but for a second rounder that's not bad. Especially since Brown and Gibson are at least a little redundant.

If we get West and still have Snow on the roster, do you think Gibson gets 15-20 a night? Somehow I doubt it. I think Snow will play when West sits and Brown when Larry sits. I guess if Larry misses most of the season again, Gibson will get those kind of minutes, but otherwise?
I would imagine that Scola is going to want most all of our MLE. If he can come in and start, I don't have a problem with it. I trust Ferry for now.

I liked the first pick. I am going to wait and see about the 42. The 55 is a shot in the dark that may work out, but we will never remember if it does not. I think the most interesting thing is that the entire draft night seemed to be preparing for a trade. We all saw the rumors of a trade with Boston and Philly yesterday. The Cavs go out and get two players who will pretty clearly do away with _amon _ones and maybe Luke Jackson. So, we know they are on the block (with a few others, I believe). But, more interesting is the fact that the Celtics were in several deals and ended up with Telfair, Rondo and Powe - three true pointguards. That is on top of their current roster (minus Dan Dickau). It seems to me that they might be getting ready for a trade that will involve Cleveland getting at least one PG - hopefully Rondo.

I love both picks.

Shannon Brown is a rich man's Flip Murray. He's a short SG like Flip, but he's much more athletic, a much better shooter, and a much better defender then Flip was for us. Brown should immediately become the 6th man as Hughes' primary backup, and COULD possibly break into the starting lineup with Hughes sliding over the point guard.

Daniel Gibson is like a rich man's Damon Jones. Gibson led the entire Big 12 in three pointers made last year and he really has a pure stroke from 3s. He also has athleticism (not as good as Brown's) and a very good defender. His playmaking skills at point guard aren't that great yet, but at worst he can fill the Damon Jones role next year while developing his PG skills.

Style said:

To be honest... If we do get Delonte West in the deal, I see the Scola deal happening a lot more than I do now. In getting Delonte, we would get the PG that we need that can start now, while making Gibson expendable since Delonte is still young... You also have to remember, we also have a big hole at the center spot... So trading Gibson to cover it up and then using the MLE on a starting PF sounds like Ferry something might do.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BPLEY3Wn53E"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BPLEY3Wn53E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

His highlights make you want to keep him.....

Dayumn..that was impossible...what topped thaty???

cdt said:
Dayumn..that was impossible...what topped thaty???

That was pretty sweet... That reminds me of what Vince Carter does.:eek:

tg33 said:
But, more interesting is the fact that the Celtics were in several deals and ended up with Telfair, Rondo and Powe - three true pointguards. That is on top of their current roster (minus Dan Dickau). It seems to me that they might be getting ready for a trade that will involve Cleveland getting at least one PG - hopefully Rondo.
Leon Powe is a PF from California...

I had one like that in 8th grade. Everyone was asking me how the heck I did it. To this day I have no idea. :dunno:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."