• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

If bought-out, Cavs option for McGrady

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Very interesting, but I just don't see it happening for some reason.

I really hope he doesn't go to LA though. They don't have any good swingmen coming off the bench. He *could* help them a lot.

I just don't see our need for a SG that can score anymore. With Mo, LBJ, Tawn, and Shaq, we have PLENTY of scoring. All we need from the 2 is a defender that can hit open shots. We have that in West and AP, even though they are shaky.

Mo Will/ Delonte/ Gibson
Parker/ McGrady/ Green
LeBron/ Moon/ Jawad
Jamison/ AV/ Hickson
Shaq/ Big Z/ Powe

DO WANT. I'd bring him off the bench as a scoring punch.

damn thats deep.

But... games arent won on paper. gotta get it done when it matters.

t1-mcgrady.jpg

All Tracy is good at is sitting on the bench...

Hell, he can't even dress fly....creamiscle doesn't go with your skin tone...
Yeah I quoted myself, the post is appropriate for this topic.

Would we have enough basketballs to go around with Shaq, LeBron, Mo, Jamison AND T-mac??? Holy shit, we still need to clear 2 roster spots for Z and T-mac if we are really interested in him

Before T-Mac can find himself on a contender, he has to prove he can play --- and he probably won't have the chance.
Yahoo dude is messing around

I'm a huge statistics guy, but this is where I really disagree with those saying "Bring in McGrady" because his numbers "match" what we're looking for.

This guy has fallen off a ledge in production. He's never taken a team deep into the playoffs. Not only that, but he's worn down physically, playing in only 35 games this year and 6 games this year. He is the definition of what the Cavaliers DO NOT need.

Basketball is not all about acquiring the players that accumulate statistics. It's about finding a group of players that mesh well on the floor together, compliment each other, and ultimately have the same goal in mind -- a championship.

Our production at the SG spot this year has left something to be desired, but taking the risk of bringing in McGrady when he can detract from this team -- not only in chemistry, but in on-floor production if his numbers are to be trusted -- would be a stupid move that could derail the championship hopes of the Cavaliers.

Throughout past championship teams, there have been plenty of players that just served roles. They are the glorious role players, and all teams need them. Some posters' fascinations with filling the Cavaliers' rotation 1-8 with star players is bordering on obsessive, and I wonder at times if you have ever watched a championship basketball team when they're playing at their best, or if some just have the fantasy basketball mindset of "Statistics, good. Low PPG, rebound, assists, bad."

There's a reason the Cavs were so hellbent on acquiring Jamison. He fits in seemlessly with the rest of the team and does not distract the team from the ultimate goal of winning a championship.

McGrady, on the other hand, brings significant risk to the table that could ultimately derail the Cavaliers' championship hopes.

But seriously, unless he is in tip top shape (as much as possible for him, anyway), I don't want him.
He's working out with Jordan's trainer in Chicago, Tim Grover. From what I hear he's in the best shape he's ever been in, which I'm not sure is saying much. The guy did wonders for Wade before the olympics in '08 though.

Last edited:
I'm a huge statistics guy, but this is where I really disagree with those saying "Bring in McGrady" because his numbers "match" what we're looking for.

This guy has fallen off a ledge in production. He's never taken a team deep into the playoffs. Not only that, but he's worn down physically, playing in only 35 games this year and 6 games this year. He is the definition of what the Cavaliers DO NOT need.

Basketball is not all about acquiring the players that accumulate statistics. It's about finding a group of players that mesh well on the floor together, compliment each other, and ultimately have the same goal in mind -- a championship.

Our production at the SG spot this year has left something to be desired, but taking the risk of bringing in McGrady when he can detract from this team -- not only in chemistry, but in on-floor production if his numbers are to be trusted -- would be a stupid move that could derail the championship hopes of the Cavaliers.

Throughout past championship teams, there have been plenty of players that just served roles. They are the glorious role players, and all teams need them. Some posters' fascinations with filling the Cavaliers lineup 1-5 with star players is bordering on obsessive, and I wonder at times if you have ever watched a championship basketball team when they're playing at their best, or if some just have the fantasy basketball mindset of "Statistics, good. Low PPG, rebound, assists, bad."

There's a reason the Cavs were so hellbent on acquiring Jamison. He fits in seemlessly with the rest of the team and does not distract the team from the ultimate goal of winning a championship.

McGrady, on the other hand, brings significant risk to the table that could ultimately derail the Cavaliers' championship hopes.

We can just kick him out or not play him if he does stupid shit, at vet. min, we can afford that. But he can't afford it because he wants to win right now.

I don't see how this happens if Z gets bought out and returns.

Our current roster:
1. LeBron
2. Shaq
3. Mo
4. AV
5. JJ
6. AP
7. Moon
8. Delonte
9. Boobie
10. Jawad
11. Powe
12. Green
13. DJ
14. Antawn
15. Telfair

So right now, we don't even have space for Z. I assume we would cut DJ to make room for him again. We re-sign Z, we're back to 15.

Who do you cut? Telfair? Would be an expensive buy-out. Then you have to pay TMAC on top of that. And remember Gilbert has to pay double for any additional signings. If Z gets the BAE, that's $2M in luxury tax plus whatever he would make pro-rated for the rest of the year. A $1M contract for TMAC costs Gilbert $1M in luxury tax plus pro-rated salary. Buying out Telfair's going to cost quite a bit, too.

That said, I think I would do that. But it seems complicated and reliant on Telfair even allowing us to buy him out.

Last edited:
DO IT !!!!

If nothing else, just so another top team can't get him... What if he really has game left ?

I don't want to see him on the Lakers...

Throughout past championship teams, there have been plenty of players that just served roles. They are the glorious role players, and all teams need them. Some posters' fascinations with filling the Cavaliers' rotation 1-8 with star players is bordering on obsessive, and I wonder at times if you have ever watched a championship basketball team when they're playing at their best, or if some just have the fantasy basketball mindset of "Statistics, good. Low PPG, rebound, assists, bad."

You realize if he causes serious problems we can just cut him, right?

Like I said, it's a very low risk, high reward type move. If it doesn't work, boom cut - no problems. If it does work - sick scoring punch off the bench.

We all have to realize this was probably a private convo that got leaked, he HOPES to play for a contender, but at this point in his career... I have a better shot of making the roster....I can shoot the J and I will give those missed ass slaps better than Wally any day

He's enticing...I'd love to toss him in with the 2nd unit and see if he can wreak some havoc, but like youve said..he wont have a chance to prove himself, and I doubt we'd pursue this even if he did perk up some eyebrows.

if it turned out the dude COULD still play??? imagine...

Jawad back to NBADL...... Takes Jackson with him. Cavs load up sign T-mac and Z.

I don't see how this happens if Z gets bought out and returns.

Our current roster:
1. LeBron
2. Shaq
3. Mo
4. AV
5. JJ
6. AP
7. Moon
8. Delonte
9. Boobie
10. Jawad
11. Powe
12. Green
13. DJ
14. Antawn
15. Telfair

So right now, we don't even have space for Z. I assume we would cut DJ to make room for him again. We re-sign Z, we're back to 15.

Who do you cut? Telfair? Would be an expensive buy-out. Then you have to TMAC on top of that.

That said, I think I would do that. But it seems complicated and reliant on Telfair even allowing us to buy him out.
Question - if we send a player to the D-League, does he still count towards that 15 player maximum?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."